Why the Religious Will Perish with the Unbelievers

jsanford108

I would make a distinction between the use of the word truth and the claim of things that are true, because people posting on ToL sometimes tend to equivocate on those definitions.

But that is how people behave in practice.
I agree with you on this. Many on TOL do posit claims as "truth" or "true," when reality dictates such claims as false. So, just because they prefer delusions to reality, does not negate the connotation of "Truth." There are even some on TOL who make the same claims, then argue against each other about which one is right (Truster and Pate for example).

It is very simple, actually. The bible is historical fiction. Ancient Palestine existed; humans don't walk after they have been executed. Those are facts. Perhaps if this logical fallacy of composition was not what you were trying to perpetrate, then why actually were you suggesting people first establish the historical accuracy of scripture? What were you hoping would be achieved by that?
Tally: 10. I am not trying to perpetuate ideas of false composition; rather, I am building upon the fact of biblical events being historically accurate. No composition. I have not even mentioned supernatural events yet; only basic information such as Christ as a person, authors of Gospels, etc. Nothing supernatural.

The words premise and assumption are interchangeable. I'm having some difficulty understanding what you are trying to argue here. On what basis do you believe the universe is real?
Based on observable, quantifiable, qualitative evidence. The same as any educated person. The same as any uneducated person.

That's the problem. You can't have 'causes' if time doesn't exist yet. You could have something like 'characteristic behaviours of space-time' but I recommend forgetting about the concept of cause and effect. Big Bang cosmology and the inflation of the universe is too weird for our conventional ways of thinking about what happens to us in this gravity well on the surface of a planet within space-time. Time only came into existence when space came into existence.
False. Time is the result of a cause. Cause and effect are natural laws, evident throughout the universe. Unless, you suggest that there are exceptions to natural laws....(I think you get my implication)

Ascribed by whom, with what motive? What individuals, living a century after the alleged events described? The point is not to discover the Truth here, it is to discover what is true. The consensus of scholarship does not support your traditional view.
If we just discount any kind of systematic research, scholarship, evidence, etc. then there is no point in discussing anything; whatever our existing and instant opinion is would thus then be true. Such an approach reduces reality to personal relativity, negating objective truth and facts.

As to "discovering what is true," I have time and again provided evidence and claims that support my position. You just deny it.

So why was the gospel of Matthew written originally in Greek?
You mean the most complete manuscript of Matthew that we have? Yes, it is Greek. What about the two portions that are older than this particular manuscript, with Aramaic and Hebrew texts? Granted, they are partial, but they are exact wording as the Greek text, granting language transcriptions.

I don't remember when you 'submitted evidence', I think you submitted naive assertion.
The dates of composition, location of writing, timelines, etc. Do you just dismiss and forget any information that is contradictory to your position?

So the gospels tell us that the gospels are reliable.
No. Historical analysis, cross examination with other historical texts, carbon dating on manuscripts, comparative histories, etc. tell us that the Gospels are accurate historical records regarding events as described.

You don't know what you are talking about, do you.
Typical atheist assertion of higher intellect. Deny evidence that is detrimental to your case, and say the opponent is clearly just a rambling loon. Classic Ad hominem.

Experienced?
Yes, can you not recall what you experienced 10 years ago? Such as heart break, joy, loss, etc? I know that I have a vivid memory, but I assume that many people can recall experiences from a decade past.

Well, what size of difference do you think is worth arguing over? You claimed the year was 60CE. You are not in the consensus of scholarship in that view.
False. The largest consensus places the most likely date of 60 AD, with the next largest consensus places it between 60-73 AD. Then the third largest consensus says 72 AD.

They must be so special that you are not willing to say what they are.
Just conveniently forgetting those random accounts of Josephus, Lucian, etc. Yep. Just attack the opponent. A vastly superior tactic of displaying intellect.

Come on man. Just quit with the dismissing. Is this also what you do when evidence arises that contradicts other beliefs?

Yes, that is indeed what you appear to be doing.
"No I'm not, you are." "I know you are, what am I?" "You are, not me." Projection, using 3rd grade tactics. Why not try providing evidence that is supportive of your case.

Did anyone see Jesus and write about him? You still haven't named anyone in that category yet. You tried naming two anonymous people. But they are anonymous, so you might possibly have the names wrong, yes?
Really?! Matthew and John! Just dismissing that evidence again. Did I not mention direct reference to the authors of the gospels being applied by Papias in Asia Minor as early as 130 AD? Oh, right. I did. Just another conveniently forgotten fact.

Lazy, lazy, lazy. Not as lazy as 6days, but nonetheless slack. Let me know if you would like some help.
I agree that 6days has his own thing. I don't know what he inhales to maintain his reality.

Sure, help me explain the Herod census. Here is a link. Try and explain away the list of Herod's, with their ruling years, under the Tetrarchies. Best of luck.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herodian_dynasty

Yes, maybe you should consult your notes. They might mention the name of a single person who ever saw Jesus and wrote about him (9).
More history and accuracy denial. Can I call this 11 for the tally? It is an implication. I think I will be safe doing so. Tally: 11.

Well, maybe you should have a go at 'looking into' the work of Israel Finkelstein, and see if he agrees with you. Do you think it likely that he would not know about the evidence you claim to know about? If any single person in the world is going to know all the archeological evidence regarding the supposed exodus, it will be him. But you haven't heard of him.
First off, you are assuming I have not heard of him. Very shallow, intellectually speaking. And so degrading. Have you no class?

I have heard of him, but I have not diligently researched his work. (See? This is how one demonstrates honesty in a discussion; I have not thoroughly researched his work, but am willing to, because I do not wish to just dismiss evidence that is aggravating to my case)

Well, you mentioned ID first!
I did. Point there. But, it was not a subject of discussion, just an allusion to the paradoxical approach of Wald, which is the case of many atheists and theists alike.

Yes I did. All you need to disprove irreducible complexity, the actual claim of Intelligent Design creationism, all you have to do is take whatever example they give, and show that part of the 'design' actually exists elsewhere in nature, doing a different job. And that is exactly the case with the flagellar motor outer component, which functions as a protein excretory system in other, related bacteria.
Okay, this will be my last comment on ID. What you are doing is making a false equivalence, of sorts. The flagellar motor functions are not synonymous with the excretory systems of other bacteria. Also, ID is not focusing on flagellar functions, as much as drawing attention to what created the flagellar motion? What then created that creator? Hence, "irreducible." It ties in to the natural law of causation.

I don't deny any empirical evidence. Please tell me what you think 'refutes Darwin's Theory of Evolution'.
Examine Dr. Berlinski's work. Examine mathematical statistics. Various scientists, who supported evolutionary theory, then refuted it based on new evidence being presented, such as Dr. Kenyan.

You are a brilliant parody of yourself.
Attacking character, again. Submit some logic, man.

If I may, I will address the tangent of the Dover Trial.
Elegance is in the eye of the beholder. For the evidence, read this excellent description by Kenneth Miller, who gave evidence at the 'Dover Trial' which established that Intelligent Design is not science, for the purpose of teaching in schools. You might recall that the whole point of Intelligent Design is to get creationism forced into public institutions under the guise of it being 'science'. Well, legally, it isn't.
First off, I do believe it is necessary to teach evolution in schools. Especially when our entire taxonomy system and nomenclature are based upon in.

However, this is the result of basing an entire system on faulty theory. Due to the scientific community immediately accepting any theory that could possibly support a non-religious view, they built subsequent systems of nomenclature upon it. Then, due to its wide acceptance and use, we are at the point today, where we need to learn about such faulty theory; because due to this immediate accepting of Darwinism, the task of establishing a more precise taxonomy in a timely fashion is near impossible. It makes more sense to continue to use a broken system, fixing it and educating about it as best we can, than to try and repeal and replace it.

As for the Dover Trial, it is simply a war of opinion. ID wanted to push creationism into education, which I disagree with (which doesn't help with those presenting ID being poor speakers under pressure). That was their goal. However, the atheist opposition rejected any logical evidence simply because it was detrimental to their case and cause. It was not a battle of logic and evidence. It was a battle of agendas and preferred beliefs. For any such "Trial" to be effective, there must be an agreement on agenda, as well as a standard of what constitutes grounds of acceptance for evidence. The evidence in favor of ID was much more reliable and substantial, but the illogical rejection of it on part of the atheists was what "won" the trial.

beloved57

You have no regard for common sense. You will believe anything that pleases your flesh.

You teach and believe that sinners Christ died for are still condemned and lost, thats very disrespectful and treats with contempt the Saving Blood of Christ !

Robert Pate

Banned
You teach and believe that sinners Christ died for are still condemned and lost, thats very disrespectful and treats with contempt the Saving Blood of Christ !

Something is wrong with your doctrine. The Bible plainly teaches that Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, I John 2:2, 1 John 4:14, John 12:47, plus others.

The Bible plainly teaches that... "Whosoever that shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13.

Put that on your must do list.

beloved57

Something is wrong with your doctrine. The Bible plainly teaches that Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, I John 2:2, 1 John 4:14, John 12:47, plus others.

The Bible plainly teaches that... "Whosoever that shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13.

You belittle the Death of Christ !

jsanford108

No one can provide scientific evidence of what he himself just did yesterday. This is so because it is a human incapability to verify the past. To leverage this human incapability to prove that Jesus existed or not is a fallacious approach.

What you did yesterday can not be made evidenced. However, we can know what you did yesterday if an eye-witness wrote about what you did for us to believe with faith. More often this is the only way for us to get to know what you did in history. There's no other way round.

History is about how historians wrote about from a credible source back then (better be a direct eye-witness). It is yet another human incapability to examine how credible this source was, say, 2000 years back. So to leverage this human incapability remains yet another fallacious argument.

While history is the recording of human deeds by a source from eye-witnesses, Christianity is about the recording of God's deeds by a source ultimately from eye-witnesses. This is the only way for such a truth to be conveyed among humans, there's no any other way round unless God chooses to show up directly in front of all mankind. God doesn't show up this way because a covenant is said to be granted that humans will have to rely on faith to be saved. That is, if God shows up to all mankind, all mankind are thus not savable simultaneously.

In a nutshell, humans don't usually rely on evidence to get to a truth. Instead, humans rely heavily on putting faith in another human's saying to reach a truth. That's where the flaw of all kinds of atheistic arguments coming from.

A valid and interesting point.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

glorydaz

Indeed, Jesus died for the sins of the world.

It won't be a person's sins that keep him from eternal life, it will be a person's unbelief.

Stuu

I am not trying to perpetuate ideas of false composition; rather, I am building upon the fact of biblical events being historically accurate. No composition. I have not even mentioned supernatural events yet; only basic information such as Christ as a person, authors of Gospels, etc. Nothing supernatural.
As soon as you use the word 'christ' you have already committed the fallacy of composition, because you are attempting to imply supernatural events that are not necessitated by the name 'Jesus' on its own. To avoid the accusation you might have to explain why do you particularly need to establish that Jesus was a real person. We don't need to establish that Socrates was a real person (probably wasn't, actually) to appreciate the ideas associated with that name. 'Christ' implies a supernatural intent.

Stuu: On what basis do you believe the universe is real?
Based on observable, quantifiable, qualitative evidence. The same as any educated person. The same as any uneducated person.
Well, does it help if I rephrase my assumption as "2. I assume that my senses do not deceive me"? That's not far off what I mean. You must appreciate that you cannot use your senses to confirm that they are not being deceived. And you must know examples of when each of your senses have deceived you, mainly because of the incorrect modelling done by the brain on the data fed in from the sense organs.

Stuu: You can't have 'causes' if time doesn't exist yet...
Sorry, but it's true.

If we just discount any kind of systematic research, scholarship, evidence, etc. then there is no point in discussing anything; whatever our existing and instant opinion is would thus then be true. Such an approach reduces reality to personal relativity, negating objective truth and facts.
Agree. You seem to be doing exactly this.

As to "discovering what is true," I have time and again provided evidence and claims that support my position. You just deny it.
You haven't yet posted anything that a real historian would recognise as valid.

You mean the most complete manuscript of Matthew that we have? Yes, it is Greek. What about the two portions that are older than this particular manuscript, with Aramaic and Hebrew texts? Granted, they are partial, but they are exact wording as the Greek text, granting language transcriptions.
The oldest version is from the Fourth Century CE, and by that time onwards you get variations in different versions that arise from copying errors. So then if you take all the bits that are in Greek, and the bits in Aramaic, and the bits in Hebrew, and put them all together to find the common language, why is the consensus of the scholars doing this work that the original was written in Greek? That is entirely inconsistent with the author being who you seem to be claiming it was.

The dates of composition, location of writing, timelines, etc. Do you just dismiss and forget any information that is contradictory to your position?
No, I expect evidence not assertion. You are just presenting the traditional view as assertion.

No. Historical analysis, cross examination with other historical texts, carbon dating on manuscripts, comparative histories, etc. tell us that the Gospels are accurate historical records regarding events as described.
Carbon dating?? Really? That's brave of you on ToL. Maybe you could post some links to archeological analysis, or one decent example of a cross-reference between a mention by a Roman diarist and an actual event that is important to the use of the word 'christ', or a link to a proper historical comparison from two different cultural perspectives that coincide on something important in establishing the existence of Jesus or verifies a claim made about him in relation to the properties of a 'christ', whatever you think they are.

One link to something robust, is that too much to ask? And I'm not particularly interested in anything that proves there was a Roman empire, or that there was a temple in Jerusalem, or that there were two kings called Herod. We know already that is history. If you are claiming support for 'christ' then where is it exactly?

Stuu: You don't know what you are talking about, do you.
Typical atheist assertion of higher intellect. Deny evidence that is detrimental to your case, and say the opponent is clearly just a rambling loon. Classic Ad hominem.
Sorry, it's not ad hominem because I wasn't using it as an argument against your claim, it was just an observation. On the other hand, you are using a strawman argument, because I didn't make any claims of higher intellect, I didn't deny anything in particular, and I didn't say that you are any kind of loon, if you care to read those 10 words above.

False. The largest consensus places the most likely date of 60 AD, with the next largest consensus places it between 60-73 AD. Then the third largest consensus says 72 AD.
You don't know what you are talking about, do you.

Just conveniently forgetting those random accounts of Josephus, Lucian, etc. Yep. Just attack the opponent. A vastly superior tactic of displaying intellect.
Well, don't just tease us. Tell us exactly what helpful input Josephus has, and what can be read from it, and do the same for Lucian.

Why not try providing evidence that is supportive of your case.
OK. I've done that further down in the simple case of Herod and the Census of Quirinius.

Matthew and John! Just dismissing that evidence again. Did I not mention direct reference to the authors of the gospels being applied by Papias in Asia Minor as early as 130 AD? Oh, right. I did. Just another conveniently forgotten fact.
Hearsay added in the Second Century by zealots with a motive is not evidence. I hope, when you give your dissertation on Josephus you mention the fact that some of his writing was dishonestly altered by early christians. That is enough evidence on its own to establish motive to rewrite history in favour of a Jesus myth, and therefore to continue to be cautious about any claims made by early christians.

I don't know what he inhales to maintain his reality.
Probably just addiction to Answers in Genesis.

Sure, help me explain the Herod census. Here is a link. Try and explain away the list of Herod's, with their ruling years, under the Tetrarchies. Best of luck.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herodian_dynasty
Thank you for the link. That page has this:
The Herodian dynasty began with Herod the Great, who assumed the throne of Judea, with Roman support, bringing down the century long Hasmonean Kingdom. His kingdom lasted until his death in 4 BCE

Then if you go to here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census_of_Quirinius you get this:
The Census of Quirinius was a census of Judaea taken by Publius Sulpicius Quirinius, Roman governor of Syria, upon the imposition of direct Roman rule in 6 CE

It then goes on to say:
The author of the Gospel of Luke uses it as the narrative means to establish when Jesus was born in Bethlehem (Luke 2:1-5),[2] but places the census within the reign of Herod the Great, who died 10 years earlier in 4 BCE.[3] No satisfactory explanation has been put forward to resolve the contradiction,[4] and most scholars think that the author of the gospel made a mistake.

So can you fix the historical error in the gospels?

Okay, this will be my last comment on ID. What you are doing is making a false equivalence, of sorts. The flagellar motor functions are not synonymous with the excretory systems of other bacteria.
And that is exactly the point. ID creationism is disproved in this case, their favourite, because they claim the only function of the outer part of the motor is that of a motor part, but actually it is found elsewhere doing something else, which they would deny is possible given their assertion about all the parts having to come together uniquely in that motor, not having existed as anything else before.

Also, ID is not focusing on flagellar functions, as much as drawing attention to what created the flagellar motion? What then created that creator? Hence, "irreducible." It ties in to the natural law of causation.
Yep, I think it is best for you that you don't further comment on ID. Unless you do some more reading. But you will only be disappointed by all kinds of creationism, it's just telling lies for a god.

Examine Dr. Berlinski's work.
I read the Wikipedia page on Berlinski, having heard his name quite a few years ago. Looks like he is a fan of a handful of disproved canards of creationism. The sands keep shifting with creationists, I'd estimate his creationism is about 15 years out of date on some points, and closer to 50 years out of date on others. By those timespans I mean the periods in which creationists were raising such claims and having them disproved by real scientists.

Examine mathematical statistics.
Yep, I did that at school. So I might be able to understand a devastating statistical argument against evolution by natural selection of you put one up. If it is the one I think you have in mind, then I wouldn't bother, but by all means go ahead if you wish.

Various scientists, who supported evolutionary theory, then refuted it based on new evidence being presented, such as Dr. Kenyan.
Kenyon, it's spelled. Another liar for his god. He is one of the original proponent of ID, which you have promised not to mention again. Would you like to go there again, or shall we forget all about this villain too?

First off, I do believe it is necessary to teach evolution in schools. Especially when our entire taxonomy system and nomenclature are based upon in.
Carl Linnaeus' system is the one still used for classification. Like most scientists of the 18th Century he defaulted to creationism, so it is not necessary to have Darwin's theory to classify species. But I agree with your point, that in order for your state or country not to be a laughing stock, and to produce graduates from schools and colleges who can work meaningfully in the biological sciences, then indeed it is necessary to teach evolution. It is the central organising principle of all biology.

However, this is the result of basing an entire system on faulty theory. Due to the scientific community immediately accepting any theory that could possibly support a non-religious view, they built subsequent systems of nomenclature upon it. Then, due to its wide acceptance and use, we are at the point today, where we need to learn about such faulty theory; because due to this immediate accepting of Darwinism, the task of establishing a more precise taxonomy in a timely fashion is near impossible. It makes more sense to continue to use a broken system, fixing it and educating about it as best we can, than to try and repeal and replace it.
If you think evolution by natural selection is wrong, then because it is a proper scientific theory all you will need is evidence that disproves it. Do you have any?

Creationists have been trying and failing since 1859 to actually disprove evolution by natural selection. It is one of the longest standing and most successful theories in all of science; chemistry, physics, astronomy and geology have all been completely revolutionised since then. The theory of natural selection is surprisingly robust and remains the best explanation for the variety of life on earth. Note that creationism does not explain how life came to be present in such diverse forms. It asserts that magic happened, which is not an explanation that should satisfy anyone.

As for the Dover Trial, it is simply a war of opinion. ID wanted to push creationism into education, which I disagree with (which doesn't help with those presenting ID being poor speakers under pressure). That was their goal. However, the atheist opposition rejected any logical evidence...
The words you are looking for are 'disproved the laughable ID claim'...

...simply because it was detrimental to their case and cause. It was not a battle of logic and evidence. It was a battle of agendas and preferred beliefs. For any such "Trial" to be effective, there must be an agreement on agenda, as well as a standard of what constitutes grounds of acceptance for evidence.
The ID agenda: tell lies to children because religious fundamentalists want to engineer a cultural change (see the famous Wedge Document for more details)

The opposing agenda: teach proper science to children so their state won't be ridiculed by the rest of the world as liars to children (and to allow them to participate in doing real science to improve our knowledge, understanding and technology to the betterment of our species and other species, which is what the professional creationists have never done).

The evidence in favor of ID was much more reliable and substantial, but the illogical rejection of it on part of the atheists was what "won" the trial.
Who are you quoting there? You can't make that claim for yourself because you don't understand what the evidence was, if your previous writing is anything to go on. And you might have missed the fact that the writer of the article I cited, who was one of the central witnesses at the trial, is a Roman Catholic.

But think about the absurdity of this having to go to trial at all. I realise there are conspiracy theories out there about what can be accepted as science, but if ID creationism was real, why have all those creationists with qualifications in biochemistry, such as Michael Behe, entirely failed to convince real scientists?

If it's all so true then why are they so desperate to bypass university biochemistry departments and other research institutes that are full of the people who could convince everyone else of how true it is, and instead try to get to the kids in schools?

Stuart

Last edited:

Hawkins

Then if you go to here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census_of_Quirinius you get this:
The Census of Quirinius was a census of Judaea taken by Publius Sulpicius Quirinius, Roman governor of Syria, upon the imposition of direct Roman rule in 6 CE

It then goes on to say:
The author of the Gospel of Luke uses it as the narrative means to establish when Jesus was born in Bethlehem (Luke 2:1-5),[2] but places the census within the reign of Herod the Great, who died 10 years earlier in 4 BCE.[3] No satisfactory explanation has been put forward to resolve the contradiction,[4] and most scholars think that the author of the gospel made a mistake.

So can you fix the historical error in the gospels?

Roman Empire assigns officials taking an administrative role and a military role. They can be separate roles or one with both roles. Both the administrative head or the military head can begin and call off a census. Luke story may be about how a census started in the Palestine area but possibly called off later on. The reason could be because, say, disagreement between the administrative and military heads or in order to facilitate a census of a larger scale. In the end the one being cancelled may not be recorded in official documents (while documents can be lost in history).

beloved57

Not only are you a false teacher, you also make false accusations.

God has put the whole world to death in Jesus Christ, Romans 6:6.

Whenever a person speaks and believes that those Christ died for are still lost and condemned, they belittle the Value of the Blood of Christ !

jsanford108

Source List

Berlinski, David. Unlocking the Mysteries of Life
Hoffmeier, James. Israel in Egypt: The Evidence for the Authenticity of the Exodus Tradition (1999)
Hunt, Lynn. Making of the West (2009, 2010)
Spielvogel, Jackson. Western Civilization (2008)

Josephus, Flavius. Against Apion, Jewish Antiquities, The Jewish War
Luis de Granada, Fray. Life of Jesus Christ
Tertullian. Apologeticum, Against Marcion

Various Personal Works of Religious Scholars, such as Scott Hahn, Stephen Ray, Tim Staples (personal favorite), and assorted commentaries from various Saints and historical figures.

Stuu

Roman Empire assigns officials taking an administrative role and a military role. They can be separate roles or one with both roles. Both the administrative head or the military head can begin and call off a census. Luke story may be about how a census started in the Palestine area but possibly called off later on. The reason could be because, say, disagreement between the administrative and military heads or in order to facilitate a census of a larger scale. In the end the one being cancelled may not be recorded in official documents (while documents can be lost in history).
It's a pity, for the sake of your story, that the author of Luke is so specifically wrong:

Luke 2:1 And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed.
2:2 (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius [Quirinius] was governor of Syria.)
2:3 And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.
2:4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David)
2:5 To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.

Not only is it historically wrong that you can claim a slaughter of the innocents under Herod, and the Census of Quirinius happened within the same period of time, but no Roman census required people to travel from their own homes to those of distant ancestors.

I appreciate that you might be making a different point, that it was possible for someone writing years later to get some details wrong and still have legitimate points to make. I agree, however jsanford108 is trying to establish that the scriptures are historically accurate.

Stuart

Stuu

Source List

Hoffmeier, James. Israel in Egypt: The Evidence for the Authenticity of the Exodus Tradition (1999)

Various Personal Works of Religious Scholars, such as Scott Hahn, Stephen Ray, Tim Staples (personal favorite), and assorted commentaries from various Saints and historical figures.
And which of the points made by the authors in this list will you be raising in support of your arguments? And how will corroborating, independent evidence match those claims?

Stuart

God's Truth

You reap what you sow, GT. You can thank yourself for any insults you receive.

Acts 5:41 The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name.

Your verbal flogging is still a flogging and still what we were warned about what would happen.

You haven't received any verbal floggings here have you? Anywhere? You know, for your beliefs?

Robert Pate

Banned
Source List

I suspect that they are all Catholics.

Stuu

I suspect that they are all Catholics.
Yes, those last three are Catholic apologists. They would call themselves scholars but their traditional Catholic bias means you have to double-check every claim against those who oppose their views.

Stuart

Hawkins

It's a pity, for the sake of your story, that the author of Luke is so specifically wrong:

Luke 2:1 And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed.
2:2 (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius [Quirinius] was governor of Syria.)
2:3 And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.
2:4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David)
2:5 To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.

Not only is it historically wrong that you can claim a slaughter of the innocents under Herod, and the Census of Quirinius happened within the same period of time, but no Roman census required people to travel from their own homes to those of distant ancestors.

I appreciate that you might be making a different point, that it was possible for someone writing years later to get some details wrong and still have legitimate points to make. I agree, however jsanford108 is trying to establish that the scriptures are historically accurate.

Stuart

No. It's a pity that you lack understanding of what history is. Pick a random history book, try to question the same. History is written based on the fact that humans lack the capability to confirm the past. While the past has numerous possibilities that humans usually failed to speculate.

That said, not all Roman census are well documented and passed to today's humans. Like I said, some local officials may well launch a local (Palestine) census but later cancelled due to many reasons we can or cannot come up with. If you have to assume that the Roman Empire has clearly recorded all sort of census and has completely passed to today's humans, it only means that you don't know what history is!

Last edited:

Stuu

No. It's a pity that you lack understanding of what history is. Pick a random history book, try to question the same. History is written based on the fact that humans lack the capability to confirm the past. While the past has numerous possibilities that humans usually failed to speculate.
What do you mean by 'confirm'? Are you trying to say that because there can be uncertainty when comparing sources, that therefore you can claim any fantasy story you like and squeeze it into history and be credible?

That said, not all Roman census are well documented and passed to today's humans. Like I said, some local officials may well launch a local (Palestine) census but later cancelled due to many reasons we can or cannot come up with. If you have to assume that the Roman Empire has clearly recorded all sort of census and has completely passed to today's humans, it only means that you don't know what history is!
I recommend you read my post again (the one you quoted), especially the bit where the writer of Luke tells you which census he or she was writing about.

Stuart