ECT Why shouldn't I convert from Evangelical Protestant to Catholic?

Cruciform

That is the problem, not much common ground. They are like the Mormons and the Jehovah Witnesses...
Not even close, since the sects you mentioned were recently invented by mere men (Joseph Smith and William Russell respectively), while the Catholic Church is that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself---no mere man---in 33 A.D.

...they have other writings that tells them what the Bible says.

The Scriptures comprise the only inspired written texts accepted by Catholics as Divine Revelation (i.e., God's Word). Catholics also recognize unwritten Apostolic Tradition as Divine Revelation. Thus, Divine Revelation (God's Word) consists of both the written Scriptures and unwritten Tradition, just as the apostles taught (2 Thess. 2:15).

The Protestant notion that Divine Revelation (God's Word) consists of "Scripture alone" (sola scriptura) is itself nowhere taught in "Scripture alone" (and thus merely refutes itself), nor was it believed by Christians until being invented by Martin Luther and company during the 16th-century Protestant Rebellion.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Giant yawn for arguing with Catholics about Catholicism (especially Cruciform and his stiff-armed style). I'm not really sure what could ever be productive about it in the end. It's just a blood-bath of futility. The Latins are going to be Latins. Those who reject Latinism won't be swayed, either.

It's a Polish stand-off. Fifty paces at dawn... with AR-15s.

Cruciform

Giant yawn for arguing with Catholics about Catholicism (especially Cruciform and his stiff-armed style). I'm not really sure what could ever be productive about it in the end. It's just a blood-bath of futility. The Latins are going to be Latins. Those who reject Latinism won't be swayed, either. It's a Polish stand-off. Fifty paces at dawn... with AR-15s.
Might as well simply fold up sites like TOL, then, correct?

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Might as well simply fold up sites like TOL, then, correct?

Not necessarily. But you wouldn't admit you were wrong about anything.

I've agreed with you and previously appreciated you more than virtually any Latin I've encountered; but in the end, you're like the intellectualists who never really deal with topics while arguing against every hint of logical fallacy instead.

You're unbalanced with an immeasurably biased agenda. You can't see any of the valid criticisms of Protestants. You're arrogantly dismissive and rigidly unyielding.

"stiff-armed" = "that which recognizes the mutually exclusive nature of truth and falsehood"

More like...

stiff-arm
verb
past tense: stiff-armed; past participle: stiff-armed
tackle or fend off (a person) by extending an arm rigidly.

You know... Like an NFL running back before going out of bounds.

God's Truth

That is the problem, not much common ground. They are like the Mormons and the Jehovah Witnesses, they have other writings that tells them what the bible says.

You are right. They have to respect the written Word of God as given to us in the Holy Bible.

Just as Jesus says, the teachings from men nullify God's Word.

Everything the Catholics and Mormons say nullify God's Word.

God's Truth

Jesus says that tradition keeps man from God’s truth: Matthew 15:6-9 Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: “‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.’”
Mark 7:8-9, 13 You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men.” And he said to them: “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions! 13 Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that.”

God's Truth

Giant yawn for arguing with Catholics about Catholicism (especially Cruciform and his stiff-armed style). I'm not really sure what could ever be productive about it in the end. It's just a blood-bath of futility. The Latins are going to be Latins. Those who reject Latinism won't be swayed, either.

It's a Polish stand-off. Fifty paces at dawn... with AR-15s.

It is always good to speak of God's Truth.

Cruciform

Not necessarily. But you wouldn't admit you were wrong about anything.
Not so. In the past I have made enormous and profound---absolutely life altering---changes in my personal beliefs in response to compelling information and evidence. And I would have no problem doing so again if the situation warranted it. So far, that simply hasn't happened.

...but in the end, you're like the intellectualists who never really deal with topics while arguing against every hint of logical fallacy instead.
Once the logical fallacies are dealt with, the relevant topics can be addressed. Fallacious arguments, after all, cannot be answered, since they are by definition irrational and meaningless. Once they are corrected---and both sides are represented accurately---then the topics at issue may be discussed.

You're unbalanced with an immeasurably biased agenda.
No more so than anyone else on TOL. (I haven't noticed you changing your "unbalanced and immeasurably biased agenda" in favor of the Catholic position, for instance...)

You can't see any of the valid criticisms of Protestants.
That assumes there are any---an assertion you have yet to actually demonstrate. It can also be noted that you can't see any of the valid criticisms of Catholics.

You're arrogantly dismissive and rigidly unyielding.
SURGEON: "Mr. Pneuma, I'm afraid you have a brain tumor, and we must operate right away."

PNEUMA: "No, that can't be true, I don't like what you're saying! Say something else!"

SURGEON: "I'm sorry, but my diagnosis is demonstrable. Here, look at these X-Rays and MRI scans, blood tests, etc. It's definitely brain cancer, and must be faced and dealt with.

PNEUMA: "Stop telling me these things! You're supposed to be my doctor and help me, not upset me and cause me distress! Why are you so arrogantly dismissive and rigidly unyielding? Tell me what I want to hear! Tell me what comforts and soothes me!"

:plain:​

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

glassjester

I've agreed with you and previously appreciated you more than virtually any Latin I've encountered; but in the end, you're like the intellectualists who never really deal with topics while arguing against every hint of logical fallacy instead.

Maybe you could give some examples of logical fallacies that you would argue are true.