• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Why Evolution is real science - let's settle this "debate"!

ThisIsMyUserName

Hi and welcome. Many thanks for your post.

And, false. Evolutionary theory is not an established scientific fact. A fact would be a constant or a law. Theory, by definition, is not a law. A theory is a proposed explanation for observable data, providing a possible phenomenon as an explanation. If said theory can be replicated or reproduced, yielding the same resulting data that corresponds to what is readily observable, then the theory can be classified (officially) a law, and thus, a fact.

One need look no further than Heliocentric theory. The earth was flat and solar system revolved around the earth. This theory was defended as "established fact." Naturally, evidence was presented and observed that conflicted with this theory. Long story short: Heliocentric theory and flat earth theory was disproved.
I'm glad we agree about falsifiability. You can contribute towards showing where the theory is wrong. However technically, the premise didn't call the theory a fact, but rather the fact that evolution takes place :)

False again. Law is the highest degree of confidence available for any field of study.

A theory is comprised of all relevant observable facts, laws, constants, etc. It also includes possible, highly probable explanations, based on the observable facts, laws, constants, etc. This is what makes it a "theory."
We agree on what a theory is. A law however has no explanatory power, that's why it doesn't count. But I agree with you about the law being less susceptible to mistakes.

The second point here is opinion and not based on fact. Sure, many opponents to evolutionary theory are dishonest or ignorant (usually intentionally) of evidence and facts.

If you are truly making a generalization, then I would agree that you are accurate. If not, and you are stating that all opposition is as stated, then you are promoting an aggregate falsehood.
Correct! This and the other list are currently still placeholders. I was hoping that everyone who participates in the discussion would contribute towards filling out the lists. Mine were mere examples :)

Is there any particular claim that you wish to begin with or have addressed? I am open to civil, logical discussion, with anyone in the thread. If you are closed in mind, arrogant/dismissive, or willfully ignorant, then there is no need to worry about receiving a response, as you are not seeking discussion, but rather a soapbox to spew your filth.
I think we have a lot in common. Regardless of your position on this matter, I'm looking forward to a productive conversation. But I'm still waiting for more people to help out with the formalities, which currently isn't really working very well, as you can see ....

Should you feel impatient, you can message me directly, for I will not start the discussion until everyone is on board.

Jose Fly

You mean the science community.

Never underestimate just how much creationists will deny. As you can see, they will even deny that evolutionary theory is broadly accepted within the scientific community, and has been so for well over a century.

Like just about everything else in these "discussions", you can show them all the data and information, and they'll still deny it. That's what makes it so fascinating.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
"Goddidit!!!" as an explanation simply relocates the problem. If the complexity of DNA demands an advanced designer, then something as complex as your personal-preferred-deity should surely require a proportionally advanced designer to explain his existence.

Sounds like you're trying to move the goalposts here.

According to the first and second laws of thermodynamics, a rock cannot create itself, and a fire cannot burn forever. Therefore the only possible explanation (and please, feel free to provide a fourth explanation, if you can) is that something OUTSIDE of this universe created it. And because that something is outside the universe, it is therefore not bound by this universe's laws.

God created this universe, therefore He is not bound by the first and second laws of thermodynamics. His existence does not require a cause, whereas this universe does as it could not have come into existence naturally.

Investigation of nature tells us that very complex systems exist that are not conscious and therefore cannot intend things, and nonetheless still manage to achieve complex, ordered results.

Now, I know you said "of nature" in that paragraph, but let's look at something not in nature, say, a grandfather clock.

A Grandfather clock is a very complex system that exists that is not conscious and therefore cannot intend things, and nonetheless still manages to achieve complex, ordered results.

The only difference between a grandfather clock and examples from nature is that the grandfather clock is not from nature.

That doesn't mean that both weren't designed... We know that a grandfather clock was designed, yet you say that something with the same description that's in nature can't be designed because it's in nature.

That's not a very good argument.

Now let's look at any kind of living cell...

A _____ cell is a very complex system that exists that is not conscious and therefore cannot intend things, and nonetheless still manages to achieve complex, ordered results.

So what's the difference? A grandfather Clock was designed by humans, obviously, but let's say you discovered one in nature, and didn't know what it was, or how it functioned, yet there it was tick-tocking away like nobody's business. Would you instantly think, "OH, that must have evolved, because it couldn't have been designed!"? Or would you think, "Wow, that's some pretty great design for it to be tick-tocking away like that, and have a complex ordered result that even gives the time of day!"?

"Appeal to nature" much? :think:

We know that such complex systems can arise from simple components, the behavior of which is determined by their basic physical properties. So if we know that complexity can arise from simple components, and that complexity can be achieved without conscious intent, then it stands to reason that a molecule like DNA could have arisen in such a scenario.

"Simple components"? You call molecular legs "simple"?

Let me ask you something:

How many living organisms come out of a freshly dead corpse? NONE! You have all the right ingredients for life, and yet no new life arises. And yet you expect life to have arisen from atoms and molecules that had no particular order or arrangement?

The details of how life began on this planet are as of yet unknown. Surely, whatever they are, they are probably amazing and not at all intuitive. So appealing to incredulity is more than a little out of place in such a discussion.

"As of yet unknown"?

What happened to following the evidence wherever it leads instead of trying to fit the evidence to evolution/naturalism/big bang/etc.?

Yeah? So?

I always like how you ask a question and avoid the answer that was there all the time...

Unlike creationists, scientists who really want to understand (the origin of life) aren't ready to throw their collective hands up in the air and declare, "Goddidit!!!", because life is something not completely understood. If our understanding were controlled by creationists, we might as well still believe the source of thunder and lightning is, "Goddidit!!!".

So the many Fathers of Modern Sciences that were Christian don't count because they, as Kepler put it, "thought God's thoughts after Him"?

You seem to be trying to dumb down the God of the Bible to make Him seem impotent, all while Creationists (yes, through scientific advancements) show Him to be infinitely creative and powerful.

For creationists, "Goddidit!!!" is where the "evidence" will always lead because, "Goddidit!!!" is the easiest way to solve a difficult problem.

Wrong again.

While it's possible (and even likely) that some Christians who don't get too deep into the sciences would say "God did it" and leave it at that, those who are truly interested in exploring creation would look to see how it was done.

Johannes Kepler is an excellent example of this.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
They will even deny that evolutionary theory is broadly accepted within the scientific community.

Evolution is broadly accepted within the scientific community. Has been for more than a century. How could anyone not know this? It's the Darwinists' first port of call when challenged regarding the evidence.

jsanford108

Hi and welcome. Many thanks for your post.

I'm glad we agree about falsifiability. You can contribute towards showing where the theory is wrong. However technically, the premise didn't call the theory a fact, but rather the fact that evolution takes place :)

We agree on what a theory is. A law however has no explanatory power, that's why it doesn't count. But I agree with you about the law being less susceptible to mistakes.

Correct! This and the other list are currently still placeholders. I was hoping that everyone who participates in the discussion would contribute towards filling out the lists. Mine were mere examples :)

I think we have a lot in common. Regardless of your position on this matter, I'm looking forward to a productive conversation. But I'm still waiting for more people to help out with the formalities, which currently isn't really working very well, as you can see ....

Should you feel impatient, you can message me directly, for I will not start the discussion until everyone is on board.
What action do you need from me, specifically, to get this conversation rolling?

way 2 go

They will even deny that evolutionary theory is broadly accepted within the scientific community.
Evolution is broadly accepted within the scientific community. Has been for more than a century. How could anyone not know this? It's the Darwinists' first port of call when challenged regarding the evidence.
You should let Right Divider know.

hey Right Divider jose fly was wrong

iouae

We have the geologic column (fact) which shows that earth was occupied by different sets of creatures or biomes, at different times. We have the Cambrian explosion when life explodes onto the scene. We have the early Palaeozoic, when sea life proliferates. We have the Carboniferous, when earth is covered by trees which are turned to coal. We have the Mesozoic or Age of the reptiles (dinosaurs) followed by the Cenozoic or age of mammals, culminating in the Holocene, or age of man. These are facts.

Each age had its producers and apex predators, and Dinosaurs were not contemporaneous with Cenozoic mammals.

And the geologic column shows there were multiple mass extinctions followed by the appearance of a completely new cast of creatures, as if one scene of a play ended, and another began. These are to me, indisputable facts.

I personally have no time for terminology, because terminology is developed to suit a particular paradigm, or way of thinking. Forget terminology. Agree on or argue about the facts.

For instance is the earth older than 6000 years? Obviously.
Did Dinosaurs exist on earth with Cenozoic and modern mammals? Obviously not. Fossils do not intermingle.

Then decide for yourself, did they jump, or were they pushed? Do you believe God dunnit, or nature dunnit?

I know from past discussions, YEC will believe in a 6000 year old earth, all evidence to the contrary.
I know from past discussions, evolutionists will believe there is no Creator motivating the changes, no Creator tweaking the DNA, no Creator guiding the process, so that God could create a world suitable for man, and begin the desire of His heart, which is creating Beings in His image.

Good luck with a polite discussion which resolves these issues, and I really like what you are trying to achieve here in this thread ThisIsMyUsername.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
We have the geologic column (fact) which shows that earth was occupied by different sets of creatures or biomes, at different times. We have the Cambrian explosion when life explodes onto the scene. We have the early Palaeozoic, when sea life proliferates. We have the Carboniferous, when earth is covered by trees which are turned to coal. We have the Mesozoic or Age of the reptiles (dinosaurs) followed by the Cenozoic or age of mammals, culminating in the Holocene, or age of man. These are facts.

Each age had its producers and apex predators, and Dinosaurs were not contemporaneous with Cenozoic mammals.

And the geologic column shows there were multiple mass extinctions followed by the appearance of a completely new cast of creatures, as if one scene of a play ended, and another began. These are to me, indisputable facts.

I personally have no time for terminology, because terminology is developed to suit a particular paradigm, or way of thinking. Forget terminology. Agree on or argue about the facts.

For instance is the earth older than 6000 years? Obviously.
Did Dinosaurs exist on earth with Cenozoic and modern mammals? Obviously not. Fossils do not intermingle.

Then decide for yourself, did they jump, or were they pushed? Do you believe God dunnit, or nature dunnit?

I know from past discussions, YEC will believe in a 6000 year old earth, all evidence to the contrary.
I know from past discussions, evolutionists will believe there is no Creator motivating the changes, no Creator tweaking the DNA, no Creator guiding the process, so that God could create a world suitable for man, and begin the desire of His heart, which is creating Beings in His image.

Good luck with a polite discussion which resolves these issues, and I really like what you are trying to achieve here in this thread ThisIsMyUsername.

How do you or any person who believes that each strata in the geologic column represents a certain period of time explain polystrate fossils?

iouae

How do you or any person who believes that each strata in the geologic column represents a certain period of time explain polystrate fossils?

I believe that many strata can be laid down, for instance in a flood, or volcanic explosion. While these are still plastic, they can get bent or folded too. Under these conditions, fossils get fossilised. Strata may also get formed slowly over great lengths of time.

At Yellowstone National Park there are hundreds of polystrate pine trees, when a volcano erupted and many layers of mud and ash were produced such that the trees sank into the water standing up, without their roots. All those layers were laid down in one catastrophic event.

Last edited: