Why Don't the Liberals Want a Wall?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
(Barbarian notes that Trump is acting very suspiciously for an innocent man)

Oh. So you don't care about crime, just optics.

Behavior can tell us much about a person, yes. It's one of the things a prosecutor notices.

Perhaps you don't know what "optics" means in this context.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Silly to expect that considering that barbie thinks the great wall of China was built to control illegal immigration

The Great Wall that can still be seen today was built during the Ming Dynasty, on a much larger scale and with longer lasting materials (solid stone used for the sides and the top of the Wall) than any wall that had been built before. The primary purpose of the wall was not to keep out people, who could scale the wall, but to insure that semi-nomadic people on the outside of the wall could not cross with their horses or return easily with stolen property.

Other purposes of the Great Wall have included border controls, allowing the imposition of duties on goods transported along the Silk Road, regulation or encouragement of trade and the control of immigration and emigration. Furthermore, the defensive characteristics of the Great Wall were enhanced by the construction of watch towers, troop barracks, garrison stations, signaling capabilities through the means of smoke or fire, and the fact that the path of the Great Wall also served as a transportation corridor.
http://www.crystalinks.com/greatwallofchina.html

You see guys, this is why it was a bad idea to sleep in history class.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
George Santayana

The road along the top of the wall provided a means of rapid movement for barbarian tribes seeking to enter China.

genuineoriginal

Do you hear yourself advocating for border walls comparing it to the Berlin Wall? I'm curious, did you approve or disapprove of Ronald Reagan when he said, "Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall?"

The Berlin wall was put up by the communists to stop their subjects from leaving communist countries. The American border wall is not built to prevent Americans from leaving America.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Well, your behavior — thinking optics are "more significant" than actual crime — tells us a lot about you.

You're the one who suggested that optics are more significant actual crime.

I'm just pointing out that guilty people often behave in ways that tip off prosecutors. Perhaps you don't know what "optics" means in this context.

It's entirely possible that Trump's behavior is misleading and he didn't commit any crimes at all. But often such behavior is a tip-off.

Mueller is sorting it all out. Be patient. He'll let us know when he's finished.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
This is the kind of thing Mueller was hearing from John Gotti, as he closed in on the "Teflon Don."

The drama, meanwhile, has heated up aggressively in the last week, with ... Roger Stone invoking fifth amendment protections to maintain his silence, and Mueller unveiling the extent of Cohen’s co-operation, writing approvingly of Flynn’s conduct, and explaining to a judge how Manafort allegedly tried to outsmart him.

To a certain set of federal prosecutors, the visible struggle for the loyalty of former aides is familiar, because it is straight out of the playbook for prosecuting organized crime.

“The decision to cooperate with prosecutors always comes down to loyalty,” said Elie Honig, a former federal prosecutor from the southern district of New York who helped dismantle the Sicilian mafia.

“Who are you going to prioritize?” Honig said. “Are you going to cooperate and minimize your own exposure, and likely minimize the pain, and emotional and financial hardship on your family – or are you going to stay loyal to the people who you committed crimes with?”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/08/robert-mueller-donald-trump-loyalty-organized-crime

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I keep reading this but I have never witnessed it myself. Can you give an example of [MENTION=92]The Barbarian[/MENTION] being dishonest?

i started an epic thread years ago that cited several dozen regular posters - searched on "the barbarian " or "barbie" and "dishonest", "honest", "liar" and a couple other keywords - all of them saying things like "that's dishonest" or "you're lying", etc

unfortunately that thread was lost in the purges - my favorite part of that thread (which got a lot of play) was annabananahead complaining that i was quoting her - not that i was quoting her out of context, just that i was quoting her :dizzy:

hilarious! :darwinsm:

barbie has been a lot less blatant with his dishonesty since then, but it's still there if you know what to look for

ok doser

I keep reading this but I have never witnessed it myself. Can you give an example of [MENTION=92]The Barbarian[/MENTION] being dishonest?

two quick examples, in fact the first two posts that come up when you search on quotes by barbie:
Bottom line, the ideology you hate so much:

that's a lie - the ideology he's talking about is not one that stripe hates

You're the one who suggested that optics are more significant (than) actual crime.

another lie - stripe wasn't suggesting anything of the sort, in fact just the opposite

i don't think he can help himself - his scorn and hatred for the forum bias has led him to years and years of trolling, twisting responses, making false claims and earning the distinction that stripe noted

without the dishonesty, barbie wouldn't be barbie

Last edited:

ok doser

[MENTION=7959]WizardofOz[/MENTION] - one more thing to keep in mind - in a rare moment of honesty, years ago, barbie mentioned that in his youth he did gigs as a standup, and that one aspect he relished was dealing with hecklers, with embarrassing them so much that they'd leave

if you view his behavior here with that in mind, you'll see that he tries to provoke heckling, so that he can respond dishonestly - by ignoring key points of his target's response, by twisting their position, by trying to keep them off balance and always responding with "i didn't say that" or "no, what i said was..."

apparently it satisfies some need in him to play the bully, but it leads, once again, to stripe's evaluation of him

and knight's:
The Barbarian is a jerk who has posted on TOL for years and when he makes a database wasting post he exposes himself to possible banishment. Heck it wouldn't hurt my feeling at all to permanently ban him.

Last edited: