ECT WHAT PHIL 4:9 IS SAYING TO ALL !!

Derf

Hi and then where is Peter preaching the MYSTERY in the bible and you better read 2 Peter 3:15 and 16 does not mean Peter knew the MYSTERY , at all as Paul was the only that could tell him !!

dan p

I've got an idea. Why don't you tell me where PAUL preached this mysterious MYSTERY, since you hold that same criterion over Peter's head. Then maybe I can read Paul's sermon and figure out the Mystery you won't share with me. I certainly can't tell if Peter preached it, since you won't tell me what it is.

After all, I've pointed you to Peter's confession and affirmation of Paul's WRITINGS several times to show Peter both KNEW and PREACHED (in an epistle) Paul's message. But apparently just writing of it is not good enough--according to you, Peter, and in like manner, Paul, both need to have actually preached a sermon about this mystery.

I'm not sure how else to continue this conversation.

Thanks,
Derf

Derf

You're off base in both instances.

In the one; the reason Israel had poor among them was because Israel was then under a foreign power that had a heavy say in Israels' economic policies; but also, their corrupt spiritual leadership had resulted in the Israelite's violating of their commonwealth tithing system responsibilities to one another.

Compare to the "all things in common" of Acts 2 and 4 that Hebrews 2 relates had been a foretaste of their world to come.

That had not changed with the Lord's appearance "within" their midst but by His "finger of God" during its' short season, and then again, for a short time in Early Acts; when God was still offering Israel a pardon. With Israel's fall at Acts 7; that empowerment was not the same; the poverty and the squabbles returning...

Until His return, Acts 3.
I don't disagree with you that God's laws were geared to protect the people from poverty. And to protect the people that were in poverty, too. And if fully actualized, I think His laws would have done both, although Deut 15--in context--may suggest otherwise. {[Deu 15:11 KJV] For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land.}

The commandments "Thou shalt not steal" and "Thou shalt not covet" both imply a fundamental concept of private property. So, too does Peter in Acts 5:4, when he stated to Ananias and Sapphira that the property was theirs to do with as they wanted.
And you are off-base in your latter argument as well; because you have (perhaps unwittingly) once more cherry picked a passage outside of its actual basis' larger and wider, overall scope and context.

Within Paul's much larger and wider scope and context, he had stated something similar to the Corinthians and there he had made it obvious he was contrasting their former conduct as lost people with what their conduct as saved people was to be, as their focus.

And he was basing that, in turn, on core principles he would later lay out in written form, in Romans 5 thru 8 and Romans 12.

It is evident throughout those writings he wrote prior to Romans that he had been preaching core Romans doctrines all along.

Romans ending up a sort of an all encompasing Evangelism Training Clinic able to establish or ground one, in being able to fully study out all sorts of issues the Romans could then apply within their work of faith; a work on their part, already well underway and just as well known throughout that massively gargantuan Empire that Rome was back then.

You'll have to study out those two passages you cited from within a much larger and wider scope and context.

Anything less than that, and you end up at the risk of a cherry pick...unawares...once more.
I think I need you to lay this one out more clearly for me, as it seems like you wanted to do anyway.

Last edited:

Derf

So Dan P, now that we've established, through your cessation of communication on the subject, that either Peter was fully aware of and preached the mystery Paul referred to (and thus it wasn't a mystery anymore), that God had to some extent united the Gentiles and the Jews in the body of Christ, or that Paul DIDN'T preach some undisclosed mystery (and therefore there's no mystery that should divide us now), shall we go back to the OP and see what we need to discuss about it?

Phil 4:9, which says: "Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you." is not mysterious. There is no mystery even hinted at in the verse. Paul is telling the Philipians to follow his teaching and his example, which appears to be along the same lines as the foregoing verses:

Phl 4:1 KJV - Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, [my] dearly beloved.
Phl 4:2 KJV - I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord.
Phl 4:3 KJV - And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and [with] other my fellowlabourers, whose names [are] in the book of life.
Phl 4:4 KJV - Rejoice in the Lord alway: [and] again I say, Rejoice.
Phl 4:5 KJV - Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord [is] at hand.
Phl 4:6 KJV - Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
Phl 4:7 KJV - And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Phl 4:8 KJV - Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.

In other words, we are supposed to be working together with other believers to show the mind of Christ by our moderation, joy, truthfulness, purity, justness, and loveliness so that Christ will be glorified. To "mystify" such things, especially when Paul didn't, is to hide truth from the world. We don't want to do that.

Thanks for the discussion!
Derf

Last edited:

Danoh

So Dan P, now that we've established, through your cessation of communication on the subject, that either Peter was fully aware of and preached the mystery Paul referred to (and thus it wasn't a mystery anymore), that God had to some extent united the Gentiles and the Jews in the body of Christ, or that Paul DIDN'T preach some undisclosed mystery (and therefore there's no mystery that should divide us now), shall we go back to the OP and see what we need to discuss about it?

Phil 4:9, which says: "Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you." is not mysterious. There is no mystery even hinted at in the verse. Paul is telling the Philipians to follow his teaching and his example, which appears to be along the same lines as the foregoing verses:

Phl 4:1 KJV - Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, [my] dearly beloved.
Phl 4:2 KJV - I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord.
Phl 4:3 KJV - And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and [with] other my fellowlabourers, whose names [are] in the book of life.
Phl 4:6 KJV - Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
Phl 4:7 KJV - And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Phl 4:8 KJV - Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.

In other words, we are supposed to be working together with other believers to show the mind of Christ by our moderation, joy, truthfulness, purity, justness, and loveliness so that Christ will be glorified. To "mystify" such things, especially when Paul didn't, is to hide truth from the world. We don't want to do that.

Derf

Dan P's silence and or absence proves nothing of the sort.

He is up in years, struggles tremendously with physical eyesight issues and who knows what else.

I'd hoped to expect better of you; at least from our recent exchanges.

You should not allow bias on your part, nor bias toward him for his often being a bit abrassive, be the basis for what you conclude about his assertions on mystery truth itself.

Danoh

I don't disagree with you that God's laws were geared to protect the people from poverty. And to protect the people that were in poverty, too. And if fully actualized, I think His laws would have done both, although Deut 15--in context--may suggest otherwise. {[Deu 15:11 KJV] For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land.}

The commandments "Thou shalt not steal" and "Thou shalt not covet" both imply a fundamental concept of private property. So, too does Peter in Acts 5:4, when he stated to Ananias and Sapphira that the property was theirs to do with as they wanted.
I think I need you to lay this one out more clearly for me, as it seems like you wanted to do anyway.

What; specifically?

Derf

Dan P's silence and or absence proves nothing of the sort.

He is up in years, struggles tremendously with physical eyesight issues and who knows what else.

I'd hoped to expect better of you; at least from our recent exchanges.

You should not allow bias on your part, nor bias toward him for his often being a bit abrassive, be the basis for what you conclude about his assertions on mystery truth itself.

I guess we're all abrasive in our own way, but I don't believe I usually let that drive my conclusions about someone's material. I asked him several times to tell me what the mystery was, and he didn't do it. At the same time, he asked me several times where Peter preached the "mystery", and I provided that to him, as best I knew how from what I could see the mystery to be, both from Paul's writings (which i referenced) and from Peter's writings (which I referenced) as well as from Luke's version of Peter's "sermon" in Acts (which I referenced).

Dan P didn't deal with any of that and finally stopped responding as he went on to other discussion threads. That's not abrasion, that's either neglect or tacit admission of defeat, at least when it occurs on one of his own threads. Or perhaps just lack of focus, which my post is likely to fix, don't you think?

I understand that winning an argument/debate does not constitute correctness, and I'm willing to continue the discussion, with you or him or both, though my discussion with you seemed to be on different things than mine with him.

Maybe you can start by telling me what you think the mystery is/was.

Derf
ps I'm not sure how to keep my biases from being the basis for my conclusions, as conclusion is evidence of bias toward that conclusion, and the biases may be as new as the conclusion. I think I can truthfully state that my conclusion was based on Dan P's responses to my questions and my answers to his questions, or lack thereof. But I'm willing to hear what you think of my exchange with Dan P.

Derf

What; specifically?

Here's what transpired before:
Does he mention both saying they are separate things? I don't see it. In fact, he admonishes the Galatians not to be drawn into the works of the flesh, because then they won't "inherit the kingdom of God" (Gal 5:21)--as if that is something that could actually happen to these Gentiles. Is the "kingdom of God" now something for the body of Christ and not something for the "Israel of God"? Seems inconsistent with some of your other statements.

And you are off-base in your latter argument as well; because you have (perhaps unwittingly) once more cherry picked a passage outside of its actual basis' larger and wider, overall scope and context.

Within Paul's much larger and wider scope and context, he had stated something similar to the Corinthians and there he had made it obvious he was contrasting their former conduct as lost people with what their conduct as saved people was to be, as their focus.

And he was basing that, in turn, on core principles he would later lay out in written form, in Romans 5 thru 8 and Romans 12.

It is evident throughout those writings he wrote prior to Romans that he had been preaching core Romans doctrines all along.

Romans ending up a sort of an all encompasing Evangelism Training Clinic able to establish or ground one, in being able to fully study out all sorts of issues the Romans could then apply within their work of faith; a work on their part, already well underway and just as well known throughout that massively gargantuan Empire that Rome was back then.

You'll have to study out those two passages you cited from within a much larger and wider scope and context.

Anything less than that, and you end up at the risk of a cherry pick...unawares...once more.
I was trying to figure out what your point was. I don't disagree that Paul had been preaching core Romans doctrine all along--anything else leaves us with the mess of trying to figure out what parts of Paul's letters and sermons really apply and what parts don't. But that's why I brought it out in the kingdom of God reference--Paul seemed to be saying that the kingdom applied to Gentiles.

Cherries are easily picked on both sides, as I'm sure you're aware, and sometimes we pick the cherries we don't want and toss them to the ground.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic

Derf

Something else interesting, if Revelation was written in 96 AD, how did Paul know about the book of life?

Danoh

My understanding of THE Mystery SOLELY preached by the Apostle Paul (within MY understanding of same) is...

God's once Kept Secret, Eternal Purpose to Glorify His Son...in a New Creature...in the Heavenly Places: that assembly of Believers which comprise His Very Body spiritually via the Spirit...

The members of which comprise formerly lost individuals...without national distinction...this side of Israel's temporary fall and temporary setting aside...until God resumes the Prophesied aspect of His Purpose in His Son via the Spirit...concerning His plan for the Earth.

Two Fold Purpose: Prophecy and Mystery.

Acts 9 Dispensationalism, aka Mid-Acts...

Not Acts 2 Dispensationalism - Ryrie's Israel-Body distinction (which they really do not hold to in practice anyway) but the distinction between Prophecy and Mystery and the great impact of that on every aspect of life as a Believer in this Mystery Age.

The Acts 2 Dispy, for example still holds to a perspective that is still largely based on how Reformed Theology reasons a thing through.

Within Mid Acts, the issue - for each individual within Mid Acts - ever is 'having solved for some basic, but core aspects...having embraced Mid Acts as a result...am I genuinely looking at this and that in light of Mid Acts' core distinction...or have I allowed myself an off-base distinction no matter how minor (but given the dictum of a little leaven)...that I might do well to closely reexamine in light of the core Madist principle - the things that differ, and how it works?'

Once, for example. while visiting the assembly of a young Mid-Acts Pastor-Teacher whose particular assembly relied on a very heavy focus on the Greek; at one point he mentioned Prophecy's having been fulfilled in 1948.

I realized he still held to what is actually an Acts 2 Dispy distinction.

This; even though he rightly asserted (at least from my understanding) that the gifts had ceased (that he held a Cessationist view; as I do).

In other words, where the Madist is coming from, is from "the things that differ" principle.

When consistently applied, it allows a kind of a built-in, on the spot self-correction, together with a continued growth over time, in further refinement of each MADist's understanding on one thing or another...

Including where non-Mads are coming; which this comes with time in Scripture studying from "the things that differ" principle.

We study from and post from there. Or we are at least supposed to, and or to try to...within the best of each our refined ability over time...

As you do not, derf, it is expected you see some things differently.

Martin Luther and some of the other reformers caught a momentary glimpse of this "things that differ" principle, only to allow it to slip out of their grasp as the result of their focus having been still over reliant on reasoning about, rather than through the Scripture.

The very thing that had so differed that it exploded that glorious light of Justification By Faith with such and astounding impact that Rome was at last exposed for the dark force it had been all along.

That, derf, had been a result of the very "things that differ" principle that Mid-Acts is based on.

Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, 16:26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: 16:27 To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

DAN P

Something else interesting, if Revelation was written in 96 AD, how did Paul know about the book of life?

Hi and who has stopped answering when you are not understanding what Paul has written , like in Col 1:25 and 26 , that the MYSTERY was Kepy sercet from the AGES and Generations and that means that Peter did not know until Paul revealed it to all the saints !!

We see in Eph 1:4 that the body of Christ and this was before the OVERTHROW of the worlds !!

All Pentecostals try to prove that Peter and Paul preached the same Gospel and you have never shown a verse where EVER PREACHED the Mystery , have YOU < and never will found one !!

So will you explain Acts 15:11 and you have to see that Jews will be saved by Grace !!

Why not explain how you were saved , OR will you RUN AWAY ??

Explain the verse that prove your salvation , Maybe try Acts 2:38 ??

dan p

Derf

I'm probably missing your point--why does that matter?

Danoh

Many a MADist holds the Canon was complete before 70AD.

There really is not point in addressing some of you on these issues - you continue to insist on your parroted myths.

Derf

Hi and who has stopped answering when you are not understanding what Paul has written , like in Col 1:25 and 26 , that the MYSTERY was Kepy sercet from the AGES and Generations and that means that Peter did not know until Paul revealed it to all the saints !!

Hi Dan,
I think you were replying more to me than to 1Mind1Spirit, but if not, then please ignore.

I was suggesting that you had stopped answering, because I asked several times for you to describe what mystery you have been talking about, and you never did. Then you stopped responding to my posts completely. Since Paul indicated a number of times that the mystery has been revealed, please tell me what it is, preferably in human-readable sentences. Quote scripture, if necessary, but I'd appreciate it if you give me some explanation along with that scripture.

We see in Eph 1:4 that the body of Christ and this was before the OVERTHROW of the worlds !!
The "body of Christ" as a term by itself is not much of a mystery. Israel expected their messiah to have a body. The "body of Christ" as described by Paul in various places might be considered a mystery--if that is what you are referring to, then explain that further for me, if you don't mind, since the phrase by itself doesn't seem that mysterious.

I don't understand how "the OVERTHROW of the worlds" applies to the body of Christ, so please enlighten me.

All Pentecostals try to prove that Peter and Paul preached the same Gospel and you have never shown a verse where EVER PREACHED the Mystery , have YOU < and never will found one !!
I don't know what "all Pentecostals" try to prove, but I don't consider myself one, so I don't understand your reference. I provided a description of the mystery as being that both Jews and Gentiles would be saved and become part of the same body, and explained, using scripture, that Peter understood the same thing as Paul with respect to that mystery. If that is not what you mean by "the Mystery", please tell me that I'm wrong and proceed to explain what "the Mystery" is from your point of view.

So will you explain Acts 15:11 and you have to see that Jews will be saved by Grace !!
Acts 15:11 is pretty clear--that we are all saved by grace through the Lord Jesus, whether Jew or Gentile. I'm amazed that you reference this verse, because if that is a description of "the Mystery", then you have provided exactly what you have been asking me for--an example of Peter preaching the mystery. Thank you!

Why not explain how you were saved , OR will you RUN AWAY ??
You want me to explain how I "was saved", while Jews only "will be saved"? Are some Jews not already saved? But to the point, I am saved by grace, not of works. That grace was in the form of Jesus Christ dying MY DEATH on the cross, so I wouldn't have to. And with His resurrection, He became the first fruits of all that will be raised from the dead, including myself, which salvation, though promised and hoped for in faith, has not happened yet.

Explain the verse that prove your salvation , Maybe try Acts 2:38 ??
I don't know that I have any verses that prove my particular salvation, as none of them can show whether I believe or not, as seems to be part of the requirement. Do you? Which verses actually name Dan P as "saved"?

Derf

My understanding of THE Mystery SOLELY preached by the Apostle Paul (within MY understanding of same) is...

That, derf, had been a result of the very "things that differ" principle that Mid-Acts is based on.

Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, 16:26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: 16:27 To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.
Once again, you've given me plenty to read through and think about, so it might take me awhile to respond. At first glance, I don't think I see "things that differ" to be a very solid platform on which to base a whole doctrinal stand. But let me think through it.

Danoh

It seems enough off-topic that it may be a very interesting discussion, even if only to help me see why it's on-topic.

That's 1 Mind; that's why.

Where I appear well off into my own world (where I often post most things from) he appears more so - off in his own galaxy - built in red ligt district included :chuckle:

DAN P

Hi Dan,
I think you were replying more to me than to 1Mind1Spirit, but if not, then please ignore.

I was suggesting that you had stopped answering, because I asked several times for you to describe what mystery you have been talking about, and you never did. Then you stopped responding to my posts completely. Since Paul indicated a number of times that the mystery has been revealed, please tell me what it is, preferably in human-readable sentences. Quote scripture, if necessary, but I'd appreciate it if you give me some explanation along with that scripture.

The "body of Christ" as a term by itself is not much of a mystery. Israel expected their messiah to have a body. The "body of Christ" as described by Paul in various places might be considered a mystery--if that is what you are referring to, then explain that further for me, if you don't mind, since the phrase by itself doesn't seem that mysterious.

I don't understand how "the OVERTHROW of the worlds" applies to the body of Christ, so please enlighten me.

I don't know what "all Pentecostals" try to prove, but I don't consider myself one, so I don't understand your reference. I provided a description of the mystery as being that both Jews and Gentiles would be saved and become part of the same body, and explained, using scripture, that Peter understood the same thing as Paul with respect to that mystery. If that is not what you mean by "the Mystery", please tell me that I'm wrong and proceed to explain what "the Mystery" is from your point of view.

Acts 15:11 is pretty clear--that we are all saved by grace through the Lord Jesus, whether Jew or Gentile. I'm amazed that you reference this verse, because if that is a description of "the Mystery", then you have provided exactly what you have been asking me for--an example of Peter preaching the mystery. Thank you!

You want me to explain how I "was saved", while Jews only "will be saved"? Are some Jews not already saved? But to the point, I am saved by grace, not of works. That grace was in the form of Jesus Christ dying MY DEATH on the cross, so I wouldn't have to. And with His resurrection, He became the first fruits of all that will be raised from the dead, including myself, which salvation, though promised and hoped for in faith, has not happened yet.

I don't know that I have any verses that prove my particular salvation, as none of them can show whether I believe or not, as seems to be part of the requirement. Do you? Which verses actually name Dan P as "saved"?

Hi and want a little space , because we are seeing thing in different light !!You have not shown WHERE Peter preached the MYSTERY or given a verse where Peter said here is what the MYSTERY IS and I has present it to you and you have Ignored it !!

In Acts 15:11 we read , But we beleive THOUGH the Grace of the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved as they also !!

#1 , The first verb says , WE BELIEVE / PISTEUO kis in the Present tense , of the Law of Moses since the quote in verse one it all about Circumcision !!

#2 , It is in the Active Voice which means that the subject as present by Peter , Circumcsion !!

#3 , The Indicative Mood means Acts 15:11 is a FACT as written !!

#4 , So we see that Peter was still teaching the Law of Moses !!

#5, And we , the Jews , Peter says SHALL BE SAVED , as the Gentiles are saved by Grace !!

#6 So we see that Peter is not teach Grace BUT said that Jews will also be saved as GENTILES are saved !!

#7 By the way the verb WE SHALL BE SAVED is in the Aorist Tense and means from then on Jew and Gentiles will be saved by Grace as ACTS 15:8and 9 !!

And I see why you do not understand as Acts 2 people ALWAYS denigrate Paul and never believe what Paul has written !!

dan p

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
That's 1 Mind; that's why.

Where I appear well off into my own world (where I often post most things from) he appears more so - off in his own galaxy - built in red ligt district included :chuckle:

You'd be surprised how many chicks can dig it. :idea: