• I am a Vista lover

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • I use Linux

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters

SOTK

I am running Vista on one machine and XP Professional on another. I prefer XP Professional (I've never had any problems with it). I also prefer the PC over Apple for hardware customization.

Newman

Why do I get the feeling that mostly the Mac OS users will be posting in this thread? :chuckle: Mac OS users tend be much more vocal for their love for Mac OS. How often do we hear PC users pumping up Windows XP it Vista? :idunno:

Yeah! Windows XP all the way! I love it. It is amazing! Woohoo! I love my PC w/ XP! I like to chant it while I'm on the computer: PC/way to be/XP/all I need/PC/way to be/XP/all I need/PC/way to be/XP/all I need! Over and over again. Yeah!

:nono: :plain:

Uh, just kidding.

I've used both extensively. The way it usually goes is that I design/play/write music on Macs, work/do routine stuff(like e-mail, posting, writing papers) on PCs. Sometimes I post or check e-mails on Mac, but usually I do that on PC. I voted XP just because I probably use it most of the time.

The Berean

I am running Vista on one machine and XP Professional on another. I prefer XP Professional (I've never had any problems with it). I also prefer the PC over Apple for hardware customization.

I've always wondered why Apple doesn't allow hardware customization? Basically we are not allowed to buy Apple components and build or own Mac. why is that?

SOTK

I've always wondered why Apple doesn't allow hardware customization? Basically we are not allowed to buy Apple components and build or own Mac. why is that?

Money. Apple wants the consumer to deal with them and them only.

Ecumenicist

We need a "hate all OS's" checkbox.

I miss the dos days.

But I did build an AMD based HTPC for our entertainment system over the holiday. Went
with XP, was too chicken to try Vista. Now I can back up all the computers to a huge hard
drive, save all our pics and videos and music and play / display it all on the big TV.

I got a DVR card as well, but got distracted installing a UHF antenna on the roof for
over-the-air hd. Still need to cable everything in to get the DVR in a state that's useful...

BTW, AMD video drivers suck.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Money. Apple wants the consumer to deal with them and them only.
I don't think that is true. After all, they could make a gazillion bucks in licensing fees if they wanted to (in fact in the 90's they tried it).

The problem is.... apple has built their entire reputation on the marketing strategy... "it just works". Their computers work, right out of the box! (not meaning to sound like I am bashing other systems of course). apple works very hard at making sure that all the pieces are compatible with one another. Therefore, when they opened up their hardware and let other companies license it they found that they were quickly losing heir reputation for creating and maintaining systems that "just worked". Their motherboards, sound cards, video cards and everything else that come integrated into the system all work in harmony with one another far superior to when you give away that control.

The down side to this strategy is cost. You can by a Windows based motherboard for a fraction of the cost of a Mac motherboard. It's a trade-off.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Operating?

Operating?

:geek:

Ours is and '06 Gateway DX200 system, Windows XP. It relpaced an old system that was given to us.

What "operating" system do you prefer? Anesthetized.
:rotfl:

That's​
- 30 -​
:scripto:. . Psalmist

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Our stat tracking software for TheologyOnline catches all of our visitors OS's (guests and registered users)

Here is the official count....

60.67% Windows XP
28.83% Unknown
3.00% Windows 2000
2.67% Windows Vista
1.33% Windows 98
1.33% Mac OS X
1.00% Windows ME
0.67% OS/2
0.50% FreeBSD

The Berean

Our stat tracking software for TheologyOnline catches all of our visitors OS's (guests and registered users)

60.67% Windows XP
28.83% Unknown
3.00% Windows 2000
2.67% Windows Vista
1.33% Windows 98
1.33% Mac OS X
1.00% Windows ME
0.67% OS/2
0.50% FreeBSD

Some people sure are using some old OS.

OMEGA

I started with XT GOLD then Dos 5 then 6 then Windows 3

and now with XP HOME.

XP is Slow , the computer slows down and the internet cuts out.

Its like buying an upgrade on an old volkswagen every year.

Newman

60.67% Windows XP
28.83% Unknown
3.00% Windows 2000
2.67% Windows Vista
1.33% Windows 98
1.33% Mac OS X
1.00% Windows ME
0.67% OS/2
0.50% FreeBSD

What would "unknown" be?

Newman

or is it that its firewalled or something so the stats thingy can't even see what kind of OS it is...?

SOTK

I don't think that is true. After all, they could make a gazillion bucks in licensing fees if they wanted to (in fact in the 90's they tried it).

The problem is.... apple has built their entire reputation on the marketing strategy... "it just works". Their computers work, right out of the box! (not meaning to sound like I am bashing other systems of course). apple works very hard at making sure that all the pieces are compatible with one another. Therefore, when they opened up their hardware and let other companies license it they found that they were quickly losing heir reputation for creating and maintaining systems that "just worked". Their motherboards, sound cards, video cards and everything else that come integrated into the system all work in harmony with one another far superior to when you give away that control.

Hmmm...I think what you wrote is probably fair. Still, Apple is a business, and you can't tell me that they don't know what they are doing by designing their computers in such a way that the consumer must deal with them for customization. I definitely buy the fact that they want to avoid conflicting hardware and software issues, but a smart PC builder can do the exact same thing, and it's more fun! :D Also, I can build a PC with quality parts and have it work right the first time I plug it in at less cost than buying a Mac. That's a fact.

The down side to this strategy is cost. You can by a Windows based motherboard for a fraction of the cost of a Mac motherboard. It's a trade-off.

That's somewhat true. It depends on what kind of a motherboard you want and what you want your overall system to do. As I stated, I can build a quality PC cheaper than buying a quality Mac, however, I can also build a monster of a PC, but this will make the build a lot more expensive too. For example, I have two custom-built PC's in my house. One motherboard is of the quality type ($130.00 brand new) and the other is nearing monster type ($200.00 when I bought it brand new). I buy motherboards by manufacture, chip-set, and by layers. Layers signifies how feature rich and sophisticated the motherboard is. The higher the layer the better it is. At any rate, there is a lot more to motherboards than the average person knows.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Our desktops are XP machines. I also have a 6 year old IBM Think Pad that ran on Win 98 last time it ran. I was talking to some friends, the other day, about trying to load a version of Linux on it. We'll see.

patman

or is it that its firewalled or something so the stats thingy can't even see what kind of OS it is...?

The stats ask the browsers what OS they run, sometimes they have an answer, sometimes they don't, so the stats report "unknown".

You were thinking of "Other", which typically means something that doesn't fall into the above categories, like those really old, slow browser stations at public libraries. They didn't really have an os, they were just served netscape (typically) by a mainframe.

OOOORR we could go with my conspiracy theory and say aliens are on TOL:)