What is the Gospel?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
No kidding.

So you didn't know that Timothy was a Jew?

Well, that explains much of your confusion.
Provide your explanation for why Paul would lay hands on a Gentile (Titus) to oversee/pastor a Church diocese? And then instruct him on laying hands on other men, to ordain/consecrate them as bishops?

Gt says that it's because the Bible hadn't been codified yet; is that your view as well?

Derf

You mean Zechariah?
LOL. There's a story behind this mistake. I was sitting in my recliner, enjoying a little time on TOL, when my wife came in in a bit of a huff, asking if I was ready to go to bed. She feels like she's a TOL widow sometimes. I wanted to finish the post, and I'd written "Ezekiel" hurriedly, thinking "Is that the right 'Z' prophet? I'd better check before posting." Then I forgot to check when she came in the second time. But I'd rather you catch me in a mistake than the other consequence. :)

Right Divider

Body part
Provide your explanation for why Paul would lay hands on a Gentile (Titus) to oversee/pastor a Church diocese? And then instruct him on laying hands on other men, to ordain/consecrate them as bishops?

Gt says that it's because the Bible hadn't been codified yet; is that your view as well?
Why Paul at all?

Paul was not a follower of Peter. Paul did not mention a "pope".

Paul received revelation from the RISEN and ASCENDED LORD Jesus Christ and that included a mystery that was HID IN GOD.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned

Why Paul at all?

Paul was not a follower of Peter. Paul did not mention a "pope".

Paul received revelation from the RISEN and ASCENDED LORD Jesus Christ and that included a mystery that was HID IN GOD.
So no answer then.

Derf

Yes - at Keilah. To know with such absolute certainty would suggest predetermination it would seem. It remains a problem.
I guess I don't see it as too hard when God knows their hearts. And don't forget to read the whole chapter. David had just saved the people of Keilah from the Philistines, who were robbing their threshing floors.

Now David was living in Keilah, probably eating their food with his 600 men. And some of his men were not the best of characters (Then answered all the wicked men and [men] of Belial, of those that went with David, [1Sa 30:22 KJV]), when he heard that Saul was coming to DESTROY Keilah to get to David.

Then said David, O LORD God of Israel, thy servant hath certainly heard that Saul seeketh to come to Keilah, to destroy the city for my sake. [1Sa 23:10 KJV]
Will the men of Keilah deliver me up into his hand? will Saul come down, as thy servant hath heard? O LORD God of Israel, I beseech thee, tell thy servant. And the LORD said, He will come down. [1Sa 23:11 KJV]

The battle weary Keilahians would then be rid of both Philistines and David's men.

The scenario is practically repeated, in Ch 25, when David requested sustenance of Nabal after protecting his men and flocks.

If judas had been tortured into yielding Jesus's whereabouts then it wouldn't really count as betrayal would it?
I don't think torture and betrayal are mutually exclusive concepts. Even the threat of torture might do it if he were weak.

My only real solace is to say that neo-Darwinists rely on faith in their unproven theory. There are plenty of issues unresolved there too.
Why is that a solace for you? Are you more in favor of the creation account than you are of Darwinism?

I'm glad that you have noticed this. And if both they and we are relying on faith in our sources to determine what happened in the past, wouldn't you be more inclined to believe one that can make the future (and tell you what he is going to do ahead of time) to tell you what He did in the past, than the ones that can do neither?

Right Divider

Body part
Because you have no answer.
Oh wonderful, another mind-reader.

Address what? It doesn't matter if you reject the papacy, you still have no answer for why you reject the Orthodox bishops, as they also trace their lineage all the way back to Paul and Titus.
Paul was NOT one of the twelve and was given a unique ministry that you do not understand.

It seems like you have no clue why Jesus chose twelve apostles during His earthly ministry.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Paul was NOT one of the twelve and was given a unique ministry that you do not understand.
He ordained bishops. He wasn't unique in that regard, and that's the explanation that you do not have. Why did he ordain/consecrate bishops, like Timothy and the 100% Gentile Titus?

Right Divider

Body part
He ordained bishops. He wasn't unique in that regard, and that's the explanation that you do not have. Why did he ordain/consecrate bishops, like Timothy and the 100% Gentile Titus?
Paul "ordained" Timothy due to PROPHECY.

1Tim 1:18 (AKJV/PCE)
(1:18) This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare;

Your beloved "papacy" claims to follow in the footsteps of PETER, who was one of the TWELVE apostles that will judge the TWELVE tribes of Israel. Paul has nothing to do with judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Paul's name is missing when the revelation regarding the twelve tribes is completed in the future in the new Jerusalem.

Rev 21:14 (AKJV/PCE)
(21:14) And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Paul "ordained" Timothy due to PROPHECY.
Well, that's one idea.
Your beloved "papacy" claims to follow in the footsteps of PETER
Actually, of all the Apostles.
Paul's name is missing when the revelation regarding the twelve tribes is completed in the future in the new Jerusalem.

Rev 21:14 (AKJV/PCE)

(21:14) And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
In that verse, all the Apostles' names are missing. We have no reason to believe that Paul isn't numbered among the Twelve in this verse.

None.

Why did Paul ordain Titus?

Right Divider

Body part
Well, that's one idea.
No, that is actually what the scripture says.Why do you have a problem with what scripture says?

Actually, of all the Apostles.
According to your "papacy", it was given to PETER and "continuously" handed down from there.

Are you not even familiar with the supposed doctrines that you follow?

In that verse, all the Apostles' names are missing. We have no reason to believe that Paul isn't numbered among the Twelve in this verse.
That's an amazing cop-out on your part. The NAMES of the twelve are documented in scripture (a book that you seem to know almost nothing about).

Matt 10:2-4 (AKJV/PCE)
(10:2) Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James [the son] of Zebedee, and John his brother; (10:3) Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James [the son] of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus; (10:4) Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him.

We know that per prophecy (Acts 1:15-20 explains that) Judas Iscariot was replaced with Mathias.

Acts 1:25-26 (AKJV/PCE)
(1:25) That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place. (1:26) And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

Why don't you understand these things?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
No, that is actually what the scripture says.Why do you have a problem with what scripture says?

According to your "papacy", it was given to PETER and "continuously" handed down from there.

Are you not even familiar with the supposed doctrines that you follow?

That's an amazing cop-out on your part. The NAMES of the twelve are documented in scripture (a book that you seem to know almost nothing about).

Matt 10:2-4 (AKJV/PCE)

(10:2) Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James [the son] of Zebedee, and John his brother; (10:3) Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James [the son] of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus; (10:4) Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him.

We know that per prophecy (Acts 1:15-20 explains that) Judas Iscariot was replaced with Mathias.

Acts 1:25-26 (AKJV/PCE)

(1:25) That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place. (1:26) And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

Why don't you understand these things?
This is it? Your whole reason for why you don't include Paul as one of the Twelve, is this?

Why did Paul ordain the half-Gentile Timothy, and the full Gentile Titus again? What was the purpose of them being an overseer/elder, and what was the purpose of the other bishops, again? Why did Paul instruct on what to look for, when Timothy and Titus were to ordain other men for the college of bishops, just as Paul had ordained them, and as the Twelve were ordained by the Lord? Why all the bishops? Why bishops? You haven't answered and you won't. Mind reading again.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
This is it? Your whole reason for why you don't include Paul as one of the Twelve, is this?

So the scripture that says Matthias became the twelfth Apostle isn't enough for you to believe that Matthias was the twelfth Apostle and not Paul?

Why did Paul ordain the half-Gentile Timothy, and the full Gentile Titus again?

To be a minister, like a pastor of a church.

What was the purpose of them being an overseer/elder, and what was the purpose of the other bishops, again?

Do you not know what a church elder or overseer is for?

Why did Paul instruct on what to look for, when Timothy and Titus were to ordain other men for the college of bishops, just as Paul had ordained them, and as the Twelve were ordained by the Lord?

Question for you, Nihilo.

Are any of the requirements for being an overseer greater than or different than for the average believer?

Why all the bishops? Why bishops? You haven't answered and you won't. Mind reading again.

Have you never been in a church that has church elders/overseers? One man is not enough to run tens if not hundreds of churches.

Right Divider

Body part
You're a weird one Nihilo. Facts just fly right past you.

I don't include Paul as one of the twelve because God did not include Paul as one of the twelve.

Once again, your understanding of God and His Word is just about zero.

Are you disputing the FACT that Mathias was chosen to replace Judas Iscariot? Scripture is crystal clear, but apparently you don't believe it.

Why did Paul ordain the half-Gentile Timothy, and the full Gentile Titus again? What was the purpose of them being an overseer/elder, and what was the purpose of the other bishops, again? Why did Paul instruct on what to look for, when Timothy and Titus were to ordain other men for the college of bishops, just as Paul had ordained them, and as the Twelve were ordained by the Lord? Why all the bishops? Why bishops? You haven't answered and you won't. Mind reading again.
College of bishops.... LOL. That's pure indoctrination in falsehood there. Scripture please.

Paul received a dispensation of the gospel from the RISEN and ASCENDED LORD Jesus Christ. This was the dispensation of the grace of God, which was given to Paul for us.

The twelve had a different mission, which I'm sure that you do not understand.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
So the scripture that says Matthias became the twelfth Apostle isn't enough for you to believe that Matthias was the twelfth Apostle and not Paul?
It's not enough for me because Paul wrote half the New Testament and this Matthias we never hear from again, and Paul is also said to be an Apostle, over and over again, so Paul is one of the Twelve, and there is no such thing as "Twelve plus one." That's a Dispensational delusion.
To be a minister, like a pastor of a church.
Are ministers and pastors responsible to teach reliable and trustworthy doctrine, on matters of faith and morals?
Do you not know what a church elder or overseer is for?
I do know. One of the most important things is teaching faith and morals. Also, administration or dispensation of their diocese. And celebrating the sacraments themselves and praying the mass, personally, in their home parish, the cathedral. Cathedral comes from the same root as the word for chair, and that's a bishop's see, is where his seat or chair is, and that's how "ex cathedra" fits together with all this bishop talk and pope talk. The chair is a metonym for the authority of the bishop in the diocese, and Peter's chair is the supreme authority in the Church universal.
Question for you, Nihilo.

Are any of the requirements for being an overseer greater than or different than for the average believer?
Yes. A bishop doesn't have to lay his hand upon you, for you to become an "average" believer. But he certainly is involved when you want to become a bishop. You need a bishop, in order to become a bishop. If every bishop were to suddenly retire from all their duties all at once, and they wouldn't ordain any new bishops, then and only then would we say that Apostolic succession is dead, and not a moment before. So long as there are bishops ordaining/consecrating new bishops, Apostolic succession as a process continues.
Have you never been in a church that has church elders/overseers? One man is not enough to run tens if not hundreds of churches.
Bishops in the Catholic Church and in the Orthodox churches pastor their own parish personally (the cathedral), and all the other parishes in their diocese through the assistance of their parish priests, who are not elders, overseers, and bishops, so priests cannot ordain anybody unless they are first consecrated a bishop, by another bishop. Martin Luther, for example, was not a bishop. Titus was, as was Timothy, and as were the Apostles. There is an unbroken chain of hands going all the way back to the Lord Himself, Who ordained the Apostles the first bishops of His Church, whom He built upon Peter. And there's only one Christian tradition that even claims to be built upon Peter, as the Scripture most plainly suggests the Lord said that she would, and that's the Catholic Church with all her precious popes, the successors of Peter the bishop, the first bishop of the Church in Rome, the diocese to whom Paul the Apostle wrote Romans.

Right Divider

Body part
It's not enough for me because Paul wrote half the New Testament and this Matthias we never hear from again, and Paul is also said to be an Apostle, over and over again, so Paul is one of the Twelve, and there is no such thing as "Twelve plus one." That's a Dispensational delusion.
Talk about the delusional one.

The BIBLE clearly shows that Mathias was the replacement for Judas Iscariot, but somehow the great Nihilo knows better.

Are ministers and pastors responsible to teach reliable and trustworthy doctrine, on matters of faith and morals?
Indeed, that disqualified anyone like you.

Bishops in the Catholic Church and in the Orthodox churches pastor their own parish personally (the cathedral), and all the other parishes in their diocese through the assistance of their parish priests, who are not elders, overseers, and bishops, so priests cannot ordain anybody unless they are first consecrated a bishop, by another bishop.
You do realize that both of those man-made organizations disagree on sound doctrine with BOTH rejecting sound Pauline doctrine.

Martin Luther, for example, was not a bishop. Titus was, as was Timothy, and as were the Apostles. There is an unbroken chain of hands going all the way back to the Lord Himself, Who ordained the Apostles the first bishops of His Church, whom He built upon Peter.
Ah, the great myths of Catholicism believed by a billion.

And there's only one Christian tradition that even claims to be built upon Peter, as the Scripture most plainly suggests the Lord said that she would, and that's the Catholic Church with all her precious popes, the successors of Peter the bishop, the first bishop of the Church in Rome, the diocese to whom Paul the Apostle wrote Romans.
Wow.... "precious popes".... you need a lesson in TRUE history about some of these "precious pope".