What is forgiveness?

To forgive is not only to give up claim or resentment we have against our offenders but also to bring them healing. Jesus tells us to love our enemy, help those who hurt us and pray for our persecutors (Luke 6: 27-36). We should forgive without limit. If we do not forgive each of our offenders from our heart (Matt. 18, 35) we do not have His Spirit in our heart. Furthermore, in order to accept God's mercy (which brings us Heaven) we have to believe in it by showing the same mercy to others (Matt. 6: 14-15).
Jesus was wounded for our transgressions, was bruised for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that made us whole, and with his stripes we are healed. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is dumb, so he opened not his mouth (Isaiah 53: 5 &7). Furthermore, during his suffering and death he forgave his persecutors (Luke 23:34); and was concerned about the suffering they would bring upon themselves by their sins rather than his own suffering (Luke 23:28).

Spockrates

Surrendersacrifice: Well said! But something Paul said makes me wonder: "...just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you." (Colossians 3:13). Do you think what he claims is true? Is forgiving others the same way God forgives us something you and I should try to do?

heir

TOL Subscriber
To forgive is not only to give up claim or resentment we have against our offenders but also to bring them healing. Jesus tells us to love our enemy, help those who hurt us and pray for our persecutors (Luke 6: 27-36). We should forgive without limit. If we do not forgive each of our offenders from our heart (Matt. 18, 35) we do not have His Spirit in our heart. Furthermore, in order to accept God's mercy (which brings us Heaven) we have to believe in it by showing the same mercy to others (Matt. 6: 14-15).
Jesus was wounded for our transgressions, was bruised for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that made us whole, and with his stripes we are healed. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is dumb, so he opened not his mouth (Isaiah 53: 5 &7). Furthermore, during his suffering and death he forgave his persecutors (Luke 23:34); and was concerned about the suffering they would bring upon themselves by their sins rather than his own suffering (Luke 23:28).
We forgive even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven us.

Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Not as Israel had to to be forgiven as you cited:

Matthew 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

Matthew 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

We are already forgiven all trespasses!

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Can you see the difference?

heir

TOL Subscriber
we see the difference

redemption is not forgiveness
We have both

Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

we must continue to repent
we must continue to forgive
testimony that you believe not!

2 Corinthians 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
We have both

Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

redemption only through His blood
but
forgiveness through His grace as we repent, as we forgive

SaulToPaul 2

but

Your bad news

vs

The Bible

Col 2
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

PureX

Forgiveness is healing.

It's healing for the one who forgives, and it's an offering of healing for the one who offended.

It may not be easy to do, sometimes, but it's a good thing all around.

However, it's important not to confuse forgiveness with naiveté. Forgiveness does not mean we trust the offender not to offend against us, again.

PureX

PureX: I hope you don't mind my asking: What wound does forgiving heal?
That depends on the offense being forgiven, I suppose. Loss of faith, loss of trust, loss of self-respect, … And it offers the offender a chance to change; to begin anew as someone better.

Spockrates

PureX: Yes, I think I see. You are saying forgiveness is a process through which the forgiven and the forgiver feel greater respect for themselves. Correct?

PureX

PureX: Yes, I think I see. You are saying forgiveness is a process through which the forgiven and the forgiver feel greater respect for themselves. Correct?
Yes, the forgiver recovers that which was taken/abused in them, mentally and spiritually, by the decision to forgive the offense. And the forgiven is released from the stigma of being the offender, and thereby given the chance to live differently from then on (if he/she is willing to recognize this gift, and take advantage of it). This is how I understand it, anyway.

Spockrates

Yes, I think I've got it. Forgiveness is increasing self respect in both the one forgiven and the forgiving. Would you say, then that the greater the self respect produced the greater the forgiveness must be?

heir

TOL Subscriber
but
You need to go on Biggest Loser as your religion has a big ole "but".

There is no prerequisite to our forgiveness. It's a done deal and that 2000 years before we were even born.

Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

glorydaz

Yes, I think I've got it. Forgiveness is increasing self respect in both the one forgiven and the forgiving. Would you say, then that the greater the self respect produced the greater the forgiveness must be?

Interesting exchange, but I'm wondering why you seem to be so focused on this idea of "self respect". I've always considered self-respect to be dangerously close to pride. This text came to mind when reading your post.

Philippians 2:1-4
If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.​

Spockrates

What is forgiveness?

Glorydaz: Excellent point! So do you think forgiveness is this love, which treats the needs of those loved as equally important to the needs of the the one who loves them?

glorydaz

Glorydaz: Excellent point! So do you think forgiveness is this love, which treats the needs of those loved as equally important to the needs of the the one who loves them?

It certainly isn't any love we can muster up. It's this....

Romans 5:5
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.​

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Surrendersacrifice: Well said! But something Paul said makes me wonder: "...just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you." (Colossians 3:13). Do you think what he claims is true? Is forgiving others the same way God forgives us something you and I should try to do?

Well, do you hold grudges and harbor bitterness ? Have you failed to forgive someone in your life ?