What Does it Mean to be "Under the Law?"

Robert Pate

Banned
You've misread that passage, Rob.

Paul has just proven the Gentile - who had not the law - under sin. Followed by proving the Jew - who had the law - under sin.

He is now basically relating, the Gentile, who had not the law, has nevertheless been found guilty.

But so has the Jew, even though he had been able to boast he that was a Jew; that he had the Law; that he knew the way of God; that this, that, the other.

What Paul has been doing up to that point is cleaning up house in one indictement!

Law, or no Law, all are all together become unprofitable!

This towards serving up the righteousness of God in His Son ALONE!

The exclamation point is my spirit rejoicing in that!

Marvellous contrast - MATCHLESS GRACE!

Anyway, hope that helps :)

I understand and agree with that.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
You go on and on about an obsolete law that has never applied to anyone on TOL.

Now we may
stab_emoticon___hp329.gif
murder (Ex 20:13). Now we may :banana: commit adultery (Ex 20:14). Now we may :reals: covet our neighbor's home (Ex 20:17). It's been :freak: nailed to the cross. :BRAVO: Mt 5:17

Dexter Intro Theme (Metalized) ~ Artificial Fear

As a reminder Jamie is number 18 on Satan, Inc. (TOL Heretics list) in "The 'Jesus is not God' people (Non-trinitarians) category. :burnlib:

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Now we may murder (Ex 20:13).

Do you reject Peter's teaching?

But let none of you suffer as a murderer, a thief, an evildoer, or as a busybody in other people’s matters. (1 Peter 4:15 NKJV)​

Are evildoers those who do evil?

Don't you have the knowledge of good and evil?

genuineoriginal

Now we may
stab_emoticon___hp329.gif
murder (Ex 20:13). Now we may :banana: commit adultery (Ex 20:14). Now we may :reals: covet our neighbor's home (Ex 20:17). It's been :freak: nailed to the cross. :BRAVO: Mt 5:17

Dexter Intro Theme (Metalized) ~ Artificial Fear

Romans 3:31
31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.​

Romans 6:15
15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.​

genuineoriginal

We establish the law, NOT BY WHAT WE DO. We establish the law by being in Christ who fulfilled the law for us and then abolished it, Colossians 2:14.

You are still thinking Jesus came to destroy the law.

Matthew 5:17-18
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.​

Has heaven and earth passed?

No?

Then there is not even the tiniest part of the law that has been destroyed.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
We establish the law, NOT BY WHAT WE DO. We establish the law by being in Christ who fulfilled the law for us and then abolished it, Colossians 2:14.

Some people claim that it was Jesus who was nailed to the cross.

For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
(2 Corinthians 5:21 NKJV)​

Was Jesus nailed to the cross or was the law nailed to the cross?

Robert Pate

Banned

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.​

No?

Jesus fulfilled it, then for Christians he abolished it.

For the Christian the law has been abolished, Colossians 2:14.

For the lost, they will be judged by it.

Robert Pate

Banned
Some people claim that it was Jesus who was nailed to the cross.

For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
(2 Corinthians 5:21 NKJV)​

Was Jesus nailed to the cross or was the law nailed to the cross?

Both, Colossians 2:14.

heir

TOL Subscriber
What Does it Mean to be "Under the Law?"
to name a few:

under the curse

Galatians 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

entangled with the yoke of bondage

Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

fallen from grace

Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

glorydaz

No?

The only thing "destroyed" was the misconception of the law's purpose. It was never meant to justify, make men righteous, or give life.
It is faith that establishes the law (for what it was always intended to do - show men their sin and lead them to Christ). Romans 3:31

Bradley D

History hasn't stopped.
I used the time frame of the giving of the Law and the original possession of the land of Israel to show that the concept that, "The Law's purpose is make us aware of sin," is a flawed concept.

Then Paul was wrong?

"What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, 'You shall not covet" (Romans 7:7).

genuineoriginal

The only thing "destroyed" was the misconception of the law's purpose. It was never meant to justify, make men righteous, or give life.
It is faith that establishes the law (for what it was always intended to do - show men their sin and lead them to Christ). Romans 3:31
The law was not intended to show men sin and lead them to Christ.

It was given to the children of Israel as the guide for how they were to live their lives.

Bradley D

Apparantly, you do not see the contradiction you have just made of those passages.

Step back a bit further; take in a bit more of Romans 6:14.

Then we do not need to know the 10 commandments?

How about the two great commandments?

"What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law" (Romans 7:7).

genuineoriginal

Then Paul was wrong?

"What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, 'You shall not covet" (Romans 7:7).
Paul was not wrong, but he is often misunderstood by people that are "unlearned and unstable".

genuineoriginal

Lol, I hadn't realized you were that good at self-portrait :rotfl:

Unlike you, I do not forget what I look like after I look into a mirror.

James 1:23-25
23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.​

Nor do I wrest Paul's words and the scriptures to my own destruction.

2 Peter 3:15-17
15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.​