What do people belive about other religion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brennaanana

it seams to me that religion is al most like a war...the Christians seam to want everyone on there side same for the Jews Muslims and so on...is it a war between you can have the most followers or is it faith?!

Alexandros

That would be the monotheistic religions.

If you go way back when most civilizations practiced polytheism, people were apparently quite accepting of other religions and co-existed together just fine. Or so I hear.

bybee

An academic pursuit...

An academic pursuit...

it seams to me that religion is al most like a war...the Christians seam to want everyone on there side same for the Jews Muslims and so on...is it a war between you can have the most followers or is it faith?!

The study of major world religions is a valid academic pursuit so that one may have a better understanding of one's neighbors. In the final analysis, though, one lives one's own religion and it occupies one's life. There is comfort and stability in the practice of one's own religion. Christianity and Islam have been guilty of seeking to spread their religion by the sword. Unfortunately it has worked. Of course, the "means" define the "End". And zealotry has become the order of the day. I don't believe that the Jews seek to evangelize. Correct me if I am wrong. peace, bybee

psalm145v1

As far as wanting everyone "on our side", we are told to go and make disciples. Even more importantly though, we are told to love one another. If you don't want to be a Christian, that's fine, we can still be friends (just don't expect me to be a closet Christian). I can't speak for Jews or Muslims but I am not at war with followers of other religions.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:think: Whatever it is, you'd better pray it isn't a spelling contest.

Or hope, depending on your outlook. :plain:

JGL53

Regarding this comparative religion question, I view any religion that teaches that it is unique in an absolute way so that anyone who is not a follower will merit eternal punishment upon death is bad religion - as in warped and evil and socially and psychologically retarded.

When evaluating religions, I start from there and then go on to compare and contrast the details.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Regarding this comparative religion question, I view any religion that teaches that it is unique in an absolute way so that anyone who is not a follower will merit eternal punishment upon death is bad religion - as in warped and evil and socially and psychologically retarded.
As defined by what standard? :plain:

Don't worry, I don't expect you to answer. I realized after our last encounter that debate isn't your cup of declaration.

Unconvertable

As far as wanting everyone "on our side", we are told to go and make disciples. Even more importantly though, we are told to love one another. If you don't want to be a Christian, that's fine, we can still be friends (just don't expect me to be a closet Christian). I can't speak for Jews or Muslims but I am not at war with followers of other religions.

YOU may not be in a war, but I think it's clear that it's going on:

Belmont: over 10 000 people killed in feud between protestants and roman catholics(including having knees taken out with electric drill)

Belfast: More people are killed (I don't know how many)

Bombay(now mumbai):countless suicide bombings due to religious disputes with muslims and christians.

Spanish Inquisition: over 2000 people are burned at the stake.

and need I bring up 9/11?

Not to mention the numerous christians showing up at my door and asking if I would like to join their church. Then I say no, and they ask if I know anyone who might.

Nuff said.

psalm145v1

YOU may not be in a war, but I think it's clear that it's going on

I agree, there is a war for sure. I didn't say I'm not involved, just that it shouldn't be directed at the people.

For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Ephesians 6:12

And yes, there are many who claim the name of Christ and then go out and do anti-christ-like things.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As defined by what standard? :plain:

Don't worry, I don't expect you to answer. I realized after our last encounter that debate isn't your cup of declaration.

That's an understatement. You are just too kind, TH! ;)

:chuckle:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:cheers:

JGL53

I think you know why this comment would be inappropriate for a Christian site and why I decided to edit it.

ebenz47037

Last edited by a moderator:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Town Heretic, Rusha, and WizardofOz apparently want to gay marry each other, daisy-chain style.

I think the law should allow it. Why shouldn't they be allowed their shot at true happiness? Who are we to judge?

You really are a flaming idiot. I don't believe for a second you know or have read enough about any of our beliefs to state anything.

However, feel free to give it a shot, Flamer.

JGL53

You really are a flaming idiot. I don't believe for a second you know or have read enough about any of our beliefs to state anything.

However, feel free to give it a shot, Flamer.

I wasn't referring to any "beliefs" you particular goobers share, I was referring to the mutual admiration society you tooty-fruity-fresh-and-fruities have created amongst yourselves. It just seems to me that the next obvious step in your close personal love relationship will be sexual in nature.

And, like I say, I don't judge what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes.
Please- knock yourselves out. :rapture:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I wasn't referring to any "beliefs" you particular goobers share, I was referring to the mutual admiration society you tooty-fruity-fresh-and-fruities have created amongst yourselves. It just seems to me that the next obvious step in your close personal love relationship will be sexual in nature.

In other words, you have nothing to add to this debate other than insults and erroneous assumptions.

And, like I say, I don't judge what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes. Please- knock yourselves out. :rapture:

This is just too funny! I would like you back up your huge mouth and SHOW anywhere that I *judge* what "consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes".

Other than breaking the law and preying on innocent children and minors, I couldn't care less what you or anyone else does behind closed doors.

JGL53

Ha ha.

Well, to get back to the OP, I return to a paraphrased version of my previous unchallenged point that any organized religion that teaches it is the unique way to heaven and that all who do not bend the knee to it are deserving of eternal pain - such religions are mentally sick.

Can reasonable people agree on that? Does it need be debated, like flat earth vs. spherical earth, demon possession vs. germ theory of disease, evolution vs. rabbits out of hats? If not, then we can immediately move on to discuss the more positive aspects of organized religions.

Status
Not open for further replies.