What did you think of the movie... "The Passion"?

What did you think of the movie... "The Passion"?

• 5 out of 5 stars! - AWESOME!!!

Votes: 32 57.1%
  • 4 out of 5 stars! - Very Good.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • 3 out of 5 stars! - Good

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • 2 out of 5 stars! - Mediocre.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • 1 out of 5 stars! - Not so good.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • 0 out of 5 stars! - AWFUL!

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I gave it a four. Mostly due to the symbolism that no one is going to understand [the demon baby]. That and the lack of glory in the resurrection scene. The resurrection usually evokes more emotion in me. Actually, this movie did not evoke as much emotion as I was expecting it to. It didn't hit home, enough. I'm not sure why, but it didn't. There was also the disciples referring to Mary as mother. And then Jesus referred to her as woman, which is scriptural. If Jesus referred to her as woman, why would the disciples do any different? I went in thinking I would feel that I was hitting Christ, or thinking about how I deserved what he went through. And I felt neither. Not from the movie, anyway. I think Mel should have taken more artistic license and had Jim look into the camera at times. I also think Judas should have been shown to have more torment. Not just by demons, but within his own soul. I would think that he would have wept and cried out, questioning how he could have done such a thing. And I really think there should have been a **** crowing, right after the flashback sequence, during Peter's denial. And they should have had the end of the flashback conversation, in which Peter says he would never do such a thing. I feel it should have been more epic, and shown the scenes at the last supper that involved Judas and led up to his betrayal. I also wanted the scene where the soldier said, "Surely this was the Son of God."

ShadowMaid

Hey, I just saw The Passion. I thought it was good. Makes me broken hearted to think that Jesus went through so much pain and suffering.

Last edited:

OMEGA

jesus

jesus

I don't want to see it.

I have practically lived it.

I have been spit on , punched, stabbed,

put in prison , mocked, treated like dirt , homeless,

had blood pouring from my skull,

and been mangled and scorned by men .

I don't want to see any more suffering .
-----------------------------------------------------------

(2 Tim 2:12 KJV) "If we suffer, we shall also reign with him:

(Mat 5:11 KJV) "Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake."

(2 Cor 11:26 KJV) "In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;"

(2 Cor 11:27 KJV) "In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness."

Last edited:

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
The Passion was an amazing movie! I was riveted from beginning to end. I even had to remind myself to breath at times. The use of subtitles was brilliant. My kids have commented that they can't remember actually reading the dialogue. They felt it was as if they could understand the spoken languages. We do watch a lot of foreign films together though, so it could just be that they are used to reading subtitles.

Tonight I watched ABC's Judas. What a tragedy! Even my kids couldn't take it seriously after seeing The Passion. At one point, the actor portraying Jesus said to Judas, "I want you to spend eternity with me and my Father. What do you say?" We all broke out laughing.

I feel as though I need to see The Passion again just to erase the memory of Judas from my mind.

Freak

Originally posted by Becky

The Passion was an amazing movie! I was riveted from beginning to end. I even had to remind myself to breath at times. The use of subtitles was brilliant. My kids have commented that they can't remember actually reading the dialogue. They felt it was as if they could understand the spoken languages. We do watch a lot of foreign films together though, so it could just be that they are used to reading subtitles.

Tonight I watched ABC's Judas. What a tragedy! Even my kids couldn't take it seriously after seeing The Passion. At one point, the actor portraying Jesus said to Judas, "I want you to spend eternity with me and my Father. What do you say?" We all broke out laughing.

I feel as though I need to see The Passion again just to erase the memory of Judas from my mind.
:thumb:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I just watched the movie tonight.
It was much better than I expected!
It was much harder to watch than expected as well.

The power of the silver scene is staggering! It is unfortunate that God honoring movies are so rare and well made ones almost unheard of. Mel Gibson is to be comended.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Ok, I finally went to see it :)

It was a really good artisitc interpretation of historical events. I thought Mr. Gibson's portrayal of Judas' demons was brilliant. I can't wait for the DVD so I can watch it again and pick up some of the finer points I might have missed the first time :)

I duno if it was this way everywhere or not, but, when the lights went dim, the movie started. This alone is a positive impact on the movie theater industry :) :up:

One gripe was the end. I found it to be in the same taste as Michelangelo's "David". :down:

During the movie certain characters' dialog reminded me of some of the stuff I hear on TOL. Caiphas said something about Jesus spreading "evil doctrines", and it reminded me of smaller. Then Pontius Pilot asks, "What is Truth?", and it reminded me first of PureX, then all the other "agnostic christian taoists". And the devil reminded me of Gerald.

jjjg

BANNED
Banned
How do non Catholics deal with the mary part of the movie and the parts that were from the visionary Emery? I believe that was her name.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Nineveh

And the devil reminded me of Gerald.
:darwinsm:

(maybe this shouldn't be funny but it caught me off guard and I cracked up)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by jjjg

How do non Catholics deal with the mary part of the movie and the parts that were from the visionary Emery? I believe that was her name.
I think that's Anne Catherine Emmerich. :)

Free-Agent Smith

I would have to agree with Nineveh. It's the best one to date.
I prefered to wait till the crowds went down to go see it but I would watch again :)

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Jjjg asked:
How do non-Catholics deal with the Mary part of the movie and the parts that were from the visionary Emery? I believe that was her name.
I’m a non-catholic and I was amazed at the scenes of Mary. In fact they were the ones that got to me first.

As a Protestant I have at times almost looked badly on Mary, because of the attempt of many Catholics to make her into a near god. But this movie helped to show me how wrong it is for me to take that out on her.

She is indeed the “Most blessed of all women”. Also the most cursed, look what she had to endure.

As for the other Catholic symbols, they didn’t bother me at all. The movie was totally Christ centered, and it was awesome!

Lovejoy

Originally posted by Zakath

I think that's Anne Catherine Emmerich. :)

That's the VENERABLE Anne Catherine Emmerich to you, Zakath! I found that stuff terribly distracting. It's my own fault, I have built far to poignant a picture of Christ's suffering and victory to have a movie compare. And I worried about the revisionism, especially how it would affect new believers. I am a spoil sport!

Aimiel

Originally posted by Goose
I will say that the scourging seen seemed real and intense.
I thought that the scourging scene was the least realistic of the crucifixion scenes. If He were ripped apart like that, there would have been little or no feeling left, and would have quickly bled to death. The Romans had polished torment to an art, and knew how to inflict pain, using a whip with pottery shards 'glued' to it by dipping the leather thongs in blood. This would cause scratches, just deep enough to break the skin, but not rip the skin from the body. The name for it, "Cat-of-nine-tails," came about because of the painful wounds it created, which were akin to being scratched by a cat. I felt that the shredding of His skin by the whip, in this movie, was gratuitous, and worthless. It was done for shock value, for the sake of the audience.

SOTK

What an awesome movie!!!!!!!! :up: Actually, for me, it's hard to explain how exactly I feel about this movie. I'll try.....

This movie had a profound impact on me. I have felt that in the last year I've grown in my understanding of the ultimate gift of Christ's death. I mean really understand it. Seeing the visual graphic sacrifice of Christ's death for us really topped off my understanding and extreme gratitude of God's most unbelievable, wonderful Gift. Like I say, it's hard for me to find the words. I'm still not giving it the proper justice.

I've never been this affected by a movie before. It was hard for me to watch, but I did. Seeing the abuse that Christ took for me, for us, literally brought me to my knees within the theater. I didn't care. I dropped down right there in the theater and sobbed in shame and gratitude.

This movie really drove home to me that I am just really not worthy of this most wondrous gift. I felt like "How dare I sin!" "How dare I ever sin!". Know what I mean?

I think I'll stop here. I am not sure what else to say. Like I said, it's tough to come up with the right words. I'll just end this by saying that I encourage all of you who haven't seen this movie to see it!

In Christ,

SOTK

SOTK

Originally posted by Lion

Jjjg asked: I’m a non-catholic and I was amazed at the scenes of Mary. In fact they were the ones that got to me first.

As a Protestant I have at times almost looked badly on Mary, because of the attempt of many Catholics to make her into a near god. But this movie helped to show me how wrong it is for me to take that out on her.

She is indeed the “Most blessed of all women”. Also the most cursed, look what she had to endure.

As for the other Catholic symbols, they didn’t bother me at all. The movie was totally Christ centered, and it was awesome!

I agree with Lion. I definitely noticed that some Catholic beliefs showed up, but they did not bother me. The message in this movie was extremely clear. In fact, I will not be party to "picking" apart this movie in anyway. I'm not sure if I'll even want to watch it again. I think it might cheapin the message. That's how strongly I feel about this movie.