What Dictates What You Believe?

JonahofAkron

We can all see that you have only 409 posts and do not give this site much of your effort after 5 years. So stop trying to act as if you know what the debating is about with the others and me.
2 things: 1- I'm not sure what happened during the update, but my post count was much higher ...maybe 2k? 2-what the heck does that have to do with anything? What's wrong with you? Is that a badge of honor? You can keep it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using TheologyOnline mobile app

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That's quite right. The Septuagint translators, translating from Hebrew to Greek, translated nicham as metanoiein. Metanoiein means to change one's mind. Nicham is variously translated as repent, relent, change one's mind, regret, etc.

Why don't you look up the English dictionary and tell us what repent means. lol
Because no one asked me to. But also because the Bible was not written in English. It does not matter what the word 'repent' means. It matters what the word 'nicham' means and it matters what the word 'metanoiein' means.

Now are we like God who does not have sins to repent of? Do these scriptures say we have to repent, as in change our mind about God; or, do these scriptures say we have to repent of our sins?

Luke 17:3 So watch yourselves. “If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them.

Luke 17:4 Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them.”

Revelation 9:21 20The rest of mankind who were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the works of their hands. They did not stop worshiping demons and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone, and wood, which cannot see or hear or walk. 21Furthermore, they did not repent of their murder, sorcery, sexual immorality, and theft.

1 Kings 8:47 and if they have a change of heart in the land where they are held captive, and repent and plead with you in the land of their captors and say, ‘We have sinned, we have done wrong, we have acted wickedly’;

2 Chronicles 6:37 and if they have a change of heart in the land wherethey are held captive, and repent and plead with you in the land of their captivity and say, ‘We have sinned, we have done wrong and acted wickedly’;

Isaiah 59:20 “The Redeemer will come to Zion, to those in Jacob who repent of their sins,” declares the Lord.

Jeremiah 8:6 I have listened attentively, but they do not say what is right. None of them repent of their wickedness, saying, “What have I done?” Each pursues their own course like a horse charging into battle.

Ezekiel 18:30 “Therefore, you Israelites, I will judge each of you according to your own ways, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall.

Revelation 16:10 The fifth angel poured out his bowl on the throne of the beast, and its kingdom was plunged into darkness. People gnawed their tongues in agony

Revelation 16:11 and cursed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, but they refused to repent of what they had done.

Revelation 2:5 Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place.

2 Corinthians 12:21 I am afraid that when I come again my God will humble me before you, and I will be grieved over many who have sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual sin and debauchery in which they have indulged.

You have selectively chosen passages to support your erroneous understanding of 'repent'. You omitted lots of other pasages where the word nicham or metanoiein is not in reference to sin. Indeed some of the very passages you cite do not speak of repenting of sin.

You repent of whatever you were doing or had done before. God repented that he had made man. God repented that he made Saul king of Israel. If you were being wicked and you change your mind and determine not to be wicked, then you repent of wickedness. If you repent of letting your children outside unsupervised, then you determine not to let them out without you in future. You regret you did because one of them had a bad accident which you are sure would not have happened if you had been there. If you are in the habit of sinning and you determine to stop these sins, then you repent of your sins. Your mistake is to make repent narrowly mean only to repent of sins.Doing wrong, acting wickedly, pursuing one's own plans (all things your selectively chosen passages refer to) are not necessarily sin. Sin has a narrow definition of disobedience to a law you are subject to.

I have explained this carefully to you in hopes you will learn. I suspect you will simply refuse.