Was this right?

nikolai_42

nikolai_42

This is the flip side of the "should a baker have to make a gay wedding cake?" question. Should be interesting to see how the hypocrites on both sides play this one.

Yep. Personally, I think the law is on the side of Lamar (and the baker). I think it's fairly straightforward. But I also think the ACLU - which sided against the baker in that case - wouldn't defend this individual in Starksville. They clearly called the bakery case a matter of "equality" (rather than simply upholding Colorado Law) :

After victories for equality at every stage of the case, the United States Supreme Court will hear oral argument on December 5, 2017. In advance of oral argument, more than 40 friend-of-the-court briefs were filed in support of Dave and Charlie.

From : https://www.aclu.org/cases/masterpiece-cakeshop-v-colorado-civil-rights-commission

The broad leftist agenda is to promote that which is in advancement of morally unrestricted attitudes and actions. What they fail to recognize (simply don't want to, in my opinion) is that liberty and license cannot coexist.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Yep. Personally, I think the law is on the side of Lamar (and the baker). I think it's fairly straightforward. But I also think the ACLU - which sided against the baker in that case - wouldn't defend this individual in Starksville. They clearly called the bakery case a matter of "equality" (rather than simply upholding Colorado Law) :

I liked TomO's solution. Sell "celebration cakes" with kits to make them whatever you want them to be. Problem solved.

nikolai_42

I liked TomO's solution. Sell "celebration cakes" with kits to make them whatever you want them to be. Problem solved.

I suspect that wouldn't have flown in the CO Baker case. Most people asking for a cake for a specific occasion want the baker's own expertise in decorating and personalizing their request. As long as these kits are generic (and don't directly attribute back to the baker who sold them) I would think the bakery would be okay with it.

For my part, it seems like the homosexual community wants extra recognition.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
For my part, it seems like the homosexual community wants extra recognition.

My experience is that most just want to be left alone. But there is a small minority that, having obtained equal rights with other Americans, want to rub it in the faces of the people who hate them.

That's a rather foolish and counter-productive behavior, in my opinion.

nikolai_42

My experience is that most just want to be left alone. But there is a small minority that, having obtained equal rights with other Americans, want to rub it in the faces of the people who hate them.

That's a rather foolish and counter-productive behavior, in my opinion.

Historically, I think that is true. But it seems to me that more and more are joining the aggressively vocal crowd that want to justify their sin.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Historically, I think that is true. But it seems to me that more and more are joining the aggressively vocal crowd that want to justify their sin.

That would make some sense:

Donald Trump is teaching the GOP a different way to embrace gay rights
Trump has essentially been offering a blueprint for how the GOP could eventually woo gay Americans — which is useful, because a startling new poll shows that Republicans may have to adapt much faster than they thought.

We have long known that gay rights are more of a generational issue than a partisan one. A 2014 poll showed that majority — 61 percent — of Republican millennials support same-sex marriage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...to-embrace-gay-rights/?utm_term=.dc35355b2e6d

For a serial adulterer who brags about getting away with sexual assault, what's a little homsexuality?

nikolai_42

That would make some sense:

Donald Trump is teaching the GOP a different way to embrace gay rights
Trump has essentially been offering a blueprint for how the GOP could eventually woo gay Americans — which is useful, because a startling new poll shows that Republicans may have to adapt much faster than they thought.

We have long known that gay rights are more of a generational issue than a partisan one. A 2014 poll showed that majority — 61 percent — of Republican millennials support same-sex marriage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...to-embrace-gay-rights/?utm_term=.dc35355b2e6d

For a serial adulterer who brags about getting away with sexual assault, what's a little homsexuality?

I don't think it started with Trump. As hard as it may be to believe, the political ball got rolling back in Reagan's day when he helped defeat Proposition 6 in California. I don't know a lot about the bill other than it made it legal to fire teachers who were known homosexuals (or who publicly supported homosexuality), but Reagan was against it. Out of that came the Log Cabin Republicans (so-called because they champion liberty and equality as they read it in Abraham Lincoln). They have been around since then - and increasingly active. So I don't think Trump is leading the way in gaining homosexual acceptance in the GOP. I think the ball has been rolling for so long and has so much momentum that Trump sees it as important to get the support of the gay community. His moral stands are certainly selective - with that I agree.

Having said that, I see the political reality simply a reflection of the cultural reality. The problem isn't in politics but it is certainly seen in living color in DC. Obama's leftist approach made use of the question of where real power lie - in a title or in numbers. And I think he knew there had been a distinctively left leaning move for years. One I would say is typically indicative of a loosening of public morality. The left wants a loosening of public morality, the libertarian wants a purely private definition of public morality and the right wants a strongly defined (Christian) public morality.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Man doesn't agree with "Pride" festivities in his own town. Man contacts billboard company (Lamar) and pays the fee to have a bible verse posted in response to these activities. Billboard company ultimately refuses :

https://www.onenewsnow.com/culture/2018/03/14/billboard-co-refuses-sin-like-sodom-bible-verse

So was Lamar justified in what they did?
I can see how that causes a pickle.

Refusing your service to someone because you think it is offensive or has objectionable content.
Sounds exactly like the baker situation.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander?????
We'll see.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
For serial faggots who brag about getting away with their perverted sexuality, what's a little adultery?

nikolai_42

I can see how that causes a pickle.

Refusing your service to someone because you think it is offensive or has objectionable content.
Sounds exactly like the baker situation.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander?????
We'll see.

It's not the only case, either. YouTube is another example that comes to mind. That's a harder one to define because everyone (virtually) agrees that there is some content (at least) that shouldn't be available. But YouTube gets to decide what they have on their servers - because it is their property.

Reactions: Lon

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Another poll.
:rotfl:

I would suspect that it has more to do with legality and not morality in the poll results.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I don't think it started with Trump. As hard as it may be to believe, the political ball got rolling back in Reagan's day when he helped defeat Proposition 6 in California. I don't know a lot about the bill other than it made it legal to fire teachers who were known homosexuals (or who publicly supported homosexuality), but Reagan was against it.

Interesting that most conservative republicans with gay children, like Reagan, have not supported the party's position on gay rights. Dick Cheney, for example, favored equal rights for gays. It's hard to hate a group if your child is among them.

Out of that came the Log Cabin Republicans (so-called because they champion liberty and equality as they read it in Abraham Lincoln). They have been around since then - and increasingly active. So I don't think Trump is leading the way in gaining homosexual acceptance in the GOP.

Trump seems to be the exception. I don't think any of his offspring are gay.

Having said that, I see the political reality simply a reflection of the cultural reality. The problem isn't in politics but it is certainly seen in living color in DC. Obama's leftist approach made use of the question of where real power lie - in a title or in numbers. And I think he knew there had been a distinctively left leaning move for years. One I would say is typically indicative of a loosening of public morality. The left wants a loosening of public morality, the libertarian wants a purely private definition of public morality and the right wants a strongly defined (Christian) public morality.

Most libertarians would reject the notion of "public morality", seeing morality as a purely private issue, unless it involved abusing the freedom of others.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Adultery is an offense against another person, while homosexual behavior, unless it involves coercion or adultery, is not.
A perversion you want to let slide, just as you do for the perversion of homosexuality.
Perversion has become your every day cup of tea.

nikolai_42

Most libertarians would reject the notion of "public morality", seeing morality as a purely private issue, unless it involved abusing the freedom of others.

Precisely. And when personal freedoms clash, who wins? There has to be an ultimate (objective) standard somewhere - that comes from something besides the individual. If there is no public morality, the notion of right and wrong becomes primarily one of preference and is ultimately diluted in the halls of justice.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
A perversion you want to let slide,

As opposed to the perversions you want to let slide. Trump's sexual assault and adultery is just fine with you, but when there's no victim, you want to punish sin.

We understand that.

just as you do for the perversion of homosexuality.

Since Jesus didn't advocate governmental punishment of homosexuality, neither do I. Maybe it's time you were willing to have it His way?

Trump's perversions have become your every day cup of tea.