Was Jesus a Jew?

ItIsWritten

Out of the mouth of two witnesses...

So I'll try this again (sans mock-TV-ad format).

Frank Ernest said:
Jesus was a descendant of both David and Aaron. Therefore, he was of the tribes of both Judah (king) and Levi (priest).
Not according to scripture:

Mat 1:1-3 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren; And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat...

Luk 3:33-34 ...which was [the son] of Phares, which was [the son] of Juda, which was [the son] of Jacob, which was [the son] of Isaac, which was [the son] of Abraham...

Since Phares didn't have to earthly fathers, that leaves out Aaron/Levi.

Furthermore, according to Hbr 7:14 - "our Lord sprang out of Juda, of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood."

Letsargue

One Eyed Jack said:
Maybe I'm confused, but how can the Jewish Messiah and King of the Jews not be a Jew?

---I didn't say Christ was not a Jew, I said Christ became the son of Joseph a Jew, when he was baptized, makeing Christ a Jew at Baptism, and not before. that what the scriptures said.
------------Paul---

koban

ItIsWritten said:
Not!

Mat 1:1-3 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren; And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat...

Since Phares didn't have to earthly fathers, that leaves out Aaron/Levi - END OF DEBATE!

But wait, there's more...

Luk 3:33-34 ...which was [the son] of Phares, which was [the son] of Juda, which was [the son] of Jacob, which was [the son] of Isaac, which was [the son] of Abraham...

You get TWO, that's TWO, New Testament records that confirm Phares descended from Juda -- not Levi

(Thus your Arron/Levi assertion is patently unscriptural!)

But wait! There's still more!

If you'll read your Bible today, we have the following gift especailly for you!

Hbr 7:14 - -

"For [it is] evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda... (Juda... JUDA... {echo effect here})...

of which tribe Moses spake nothing (Nothing! Nothing! {echo effect here}) concerning priesthood."

Heberews 7:14.

Again that's, H E B E R E W S seven-fourteen!

Read NOW!

[End of argument. You loose. God wins.]

I hope you had as much fun writing that as I did reading it! :thumb:

Welcome to TOL!

koban

Letsargue said:
---I didn't say Christ was not a Jew, I said Christ became the son of Joseph a Jew, when he was baptized, makeing Christ a Jew at Baptism, and not before. that what the scriptures said.
------------Paul---

Are you claiming that Jesus was not raised in the Jewish faith as a child?

seekinganswers

Let's see...

He was born of a Jewish mother and to a Jewish Father.

He was circumcised on the eighth day.

He was dedicated in the temple after the time of purification.

He learned from the Rabbis and teachers of the synagogues and temples.

He went to the festival of the passover every year with his parents (and into his adulthood with his disciples).

Throughout his life he went to Synagogue on the Sabbath (which was describe as his "custom" later on in his life).

He became a Rabbi (which is the Jewish word for a teacher of the law).

When Jesus teaches his disciples he instructs them often in Torah.

Jesus takes up the title "Messiah" and "Christ," both terms that were used for the "annointed one," and were particular to the King of the Jews.

Jesus lives in Palestine among Jews his entire life (even his twelve apostles are Jews).

Jesus takes 12 apostle, falling in line with the tradition of Israel (where twelve tribes were the whole of Israel).

Jesus had the rights of a Jew in the Roman empire.

Jesus was put to death on a cross (which would only have been allowed for one who was not a citizen of Rome).

Do I need to continue? Asking if Jesus is a Jew is like asking whether the sky is blue. Jesus comes in fulfillment of the law and the prophets. What else could he be other than a Jew?

Peace,
Michael

koban

seekinganswers said:
Let's see...

He went to the festival of the passover every year with his parents (and into his adulthood with his disciples).

Throughout his life he went to Synagogue on the Sabbath (which was describe as his "custom" later on in his life).

Jesus takes up the title "Messiah" and "Christ," both terms that were used for the "annointed one," and were particular to the King of the Jews.

Jesus lives in Palestine among Jews his entire life (even his twelve apostles are Jews).

Jesus takes 12 apostle, falling in line with the tradition of Israel (where twelve tribes were the whole of Israel).

Jesus was put to death on a cross (which would only have been allowed for one who was not a citizen of Rome).

Do I need to continue? Asking if Jesus is a Jew is like asking whether the sky is blue. Jesus comes in fulfillment of the law and the prophets. What else could he be other than a Jew?

Peace,
Michael

Well - there you have it!

He couldn't have been a Jew!! :hammer: :dizzy:

stunrut

seekinganswers said:
Let's see...

Peace,
Michael

Well said. Thank you.

ItIsWritten

there seems to be some question... based on what?

there seems to be some question... based on what?

BillyBob said:
I am involved in a discussion with a couple other people and there seems to be some question about whether or not Jesus was a Jew.
BB, You titled this thread "Was Jesus a Jew?" so it would seem that these "other people" have raised what you see as a reasonable question. You say "seems to be some question about whether or not Jesus was a Jew" but I haven't found where you've said what is the basis of any such question is. (If I missed where you said this I'm sorry.) So how about letting us know what issue(s) these people have raised that led you to post this question.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
This discussion started in another thread as a side issue so I started this thread to discuss the Jewishness of Jesus directly.

koban

Besides, "Are People Who Question Whether Jesus Was A Jew Totally Insane, Or Just Temporarily, Due To Glue Sniffing" wouldn't have fit on the Active Threads screen. :D

Sealeaf

As Koban suggested this is a question for fruitcakes. Who thinks Jesus was not a Jew ? What do they think He was if not a Jew? What kind of ax are they trying to grind?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
koban said:
Besides, "Are People Who Question Whether Jesus Was A Jew Totally Insane, Or Just Temporarily, Due To Glue Sniffing" wouldn't have fit on the Active Threads screen. :D

No. But it would have gotten LA's attention! :dizzy:

ItIsWritten

BillyBob said:
This discussion started in another thread as a side issue so I started this thread to discuss the Jewishness of Jesus directly.
Fine. But I'm still wondering what was/is the supposed basis upon which the quesiton is based. Surely you didn't think that it was an entirely basisless and foolish question or you would not have started this thread, so something must have caught your eye. I'd be interested to know what was. Was there some point of tension in the scritures that they pointed to or did these "other people" cite any verses as prompting them to suggest this?

Sealeaf

Ok. I understand that Jesus was Jewish. I also understand that the Jewish don't believe in the second coming of Jesus. So, since the second coming of Christ what does that make him now? Is he still Jewish?
It would appear that the poster believes the second coming has already happened. I hope he is wrong about that because I don't think it would be a good thing to have missed.
His question assumes that inorder for Jesus to be a "Jew" He would have to believe what present day Jews believe. He never was a present day Jew. In any case Judeism is more heritage based than belief based. Modern Jews consider themselves Jews if their mother was Jewish. The Bible clearly showes that in Jesus's day the father's heritage was atleast equally important. Modern Jewish thought and culture have changed a great deal since then. it is still Jewish thought and culture.
This argument is a bit like saying that George Washington was not an American, because he owned slaves and owning slaves is illegal in America.
"Fruitcake" is a bit strong but clearly logic is an unknown county to the poster.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Sealeaf said:
As Koban suggested this is a question for fruitcakes. Who thinks Jesus was not a Jew ? What do they think He was if not a Jew? What kind of ax are they trying to grind?

I've said this before, but this entire discussion strikes me as a moot point.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
ItIsWritten said:
Rather then send us fishing, any chance you remember even one of the reasons they raised?

Fishing? Did you bother clicking the link, it's all right there in the first two pages of short posts?

Why rely on my recolection when you can read it for yourself? :confused: