Was Jesus a Jew?

Lovejoy

Turbo said:
At first I thought you had written, "NIV and NLT translate the worst." And I was going to say, Amen!
Ha! That was what I thought when I first saw it! :chuckle:

Letsargue

Agape4Robin said:
Care to join the "question thread?" where we explore this concept of Jesus's jewishness? :think:

---Luke 1:5---“A certain priest named Zacharias, and the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her and her name was Elisabeth”
---Luke 1:36 –The Angel said to Mary, “Behold thy –COUSIN- Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son”, (John the Baptist).
---Zacharias and his wife Elisabeth were both Levites, of the tribe of Levi. Elisabeth was even descended from Aaron the first High Priest, the brother of Moses. Being cousins, that makes Mary also descended from Aaron, and a Levite ‘virgin’. THAT MEANS Christ was born a Levite of a Levite woman. Joseph, who was a Jew, and had nothing to do with Christ’s birth, therefore Christ was born a Levite descended from Aaron, and is the High Priest, and King of the Jews.
-------------Paul---

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Letsargue said:
---Luke 1:5---“A certain priest named Zacharias, and the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her and her name was Elisabeth”
---Luke 1:36 –The Angel said to Mary, “Behold thy –COUSIN- Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son”, (John the Baptist).
---Zacharias and his wife Elisabeth were both Levites, of the tribe of Levi. Elisabeth was even descended from Aaron the first High Priest, the brother of Moses. Being cousins, that makes Mary also descended from Aaron, and a Levite ‘virgin’. THAT MEANS Christ was born a Levite of a Levite woman. Joseph, who was a Jew, and had nothing to do with Christ’s birth, therefore Christ was born a Levite descended from Aaron, and is the High Priest, and King of the Jews.
-------------Paul---

-------------:BillyBob:---

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Jesus was a descendant of both David and Aaron. Therefore, he was of the tribes of both Judah (king) and Levi (priest).

I do not see a problem here.

Letsargue

Frank Ernest said:
Jesus was a descendant of both David and Aaron. Therefore, he was of the tribes of both Judah (king) and Levi (priest).

I do not see a problem here.

---Luke3:23—“And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph”,
---Two things, Jesus began to be when he was baptized of John, the baptism of repentance. JESUS did not need to repent. --- He was about 30 years old, but what was important is, Jesus 'began to be the 'son of Joseph' at baptism. Jesus was baptized into the family of the Jews. That's the only way Jesus could be of the Jews after that, Jesus was baptized into the family of the Jews, and we are baptized into Jesus after he was anointed King of the Jews, making Jesus the CHRIST, and died.
------------Paul---

Granite

Hall of Fame
Just my two cents, but he did go to the temple and seemed to attend synagogue. Even early Christians went to synagogue. I would think it's not unreasonable to assume Jesus was a practicing Jew.

ItIsWritten

Frank Ernest said:
Not!

Mat 1:1-3 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren; And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat...

Since Phares didn't have to earthly fathers, that leaves out Aaron/Levi - END OF DEBATE!

But wait, there's more...

Luk 3:33-34 ...which was [the son] of Phares, which was [the son] of Juda, which was [the son] of Jacob, which was [the son] of Isaac, which was [the son] of Abraham...

You get TWO, that's TWO, New Testament records that confirm Phares descended from Juda -- not Levi

(Thus your Arron/Levi assertion is patently unscriptural!)

But wait! There's still more!

If you'll read your Bible today, we have the following gift especailly for you!

Hbr 7:14 - -

"For [it is] evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda... (Juda... JUDA... {echo effect here})...

of which tribe Moses spake nothing (Nothing! Nothing! {echo effect here}) concerning priesthood."

Heberews 7:14.

Again that's, H E B E R E W S seven-fourteen!

Read NOW!

[End of argument. You loose. God wins.]