Warmbier deserved his cruel torture because of white privilege

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It goes way way way back!
When Knight was a regular, calling everyone gay was commonplace.
It's largely in the spirit. Between friends or aimed at a comment it's an eye roll. When someone who actively dislikes you uses it like some people use profanity it's crossing a line. Anyway, Delmar thought so and so do I.

Happened all the time whether you were gay or not.
I've been here for about ten years and that's not my experience. Again, some words carry different meaning when said by different people because the purpose is different.

I'm not suggesting that glory actually thought I was or was serious in the effort beyond offering an insult. But it's an insult that shouldn't be proffered by a Christian any more than profanity.

TOL used to be a lot of fun, had a load of good sports here, and we castigated everyone, even our friends!
You have selective memory. TOL was and is fun when its met within the lines. People have always been banned for poor behavior that went overboard. What made TOL amazing for a number of years was the diversity and vitality of opinion and the range of rhetoric. Like most sites of this sort, it's waning as ADHD Twitter and back porch FB have taken over. It's a shame, but that appears to be the ongoing trend everywhere.

I hope at some point people rediscover the value of a more in depth community experience to be had in a joint like this, but I'm not sure it will happen.

Too many libs joined, and now EVERYTHING is offensive.
Nah, we had a lot more ardent liberal voices in the heyday of TOL. And a lot of interesting, reasonable conservatives too. And the odd (really odd) fringe who were hard to identify...and, of course, occasional waves of peculiar bikers.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Elton must still be stewing over this,
No, I appreciated the frank admission in it. It's just a shame she lost her nerve thereafter. I'd rather she stand on it and demonstrate her character (though I suppose lying to cover it does too) or recognize the error in it and clean up her act on the point. Ah, well.

As for the not serious approach--she was dead serious in offering an insult. The fact that it wasn't meant literally has little to do with the aim. You can think of a number of profane insults that aren't meant to be taken literally too. But you know that.

it might interfere with his studies.
No, I'm still holding the 4.0 going into the last week before finals. Or were you just making chit-chat? :plain:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Please do not report anyone, just to get them in trouble. If you dislike someone, place them on ignore.

It's not against the rules to lie about someone?

:think:

Or is it only not against the rules to lie about someone if you're town?

...one thing that should not receive rope is if someone demonstrably lies, or has a pattern of dishonesty or evasiveness. That more than anything else is destructive to discussion, SO it should be dealt with harshly.

Describes town to a t

TOL used to be a lot of fun, had a load of good sports here, and we castigated everyone, even our friends!

They really know how to poop on a party.

But wait - town insists he's not a liberal

...it's an insult that shouldn't be proffered by a Christian any more than profanity.

But it's ok for a "christian" to lie about another Christian?

As for the not serious approach--she was dead serious in offering an insult.

Which is what this is really about - your oversentive girlyman psyche just can't bear to let an insult go by without a rebuttal

Which is, after all, really really gay :peach:

ok doser

How gay

tam said:

Yep :thumb:

tam said:
They really know how to poop on a party.

It's not so much that they've joined, it's that they have the support and backing of a "christian" who vigorously denies that he's a liberal and is allowed behavior that would get others banned

And that has caused the true voice of tol, the truthsmackers, to leave in disgust

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Town thinks it's ok for a Christian to lie about someone but absolutely forbidden to use profanity.
Are you trying to provide a working definition of irony? Anyway, sod repeatedly saying a thing is true doesn't make it true, and his denying a thing without an argument is just about as effective. You parroting what suits you without support though, that's just business as usual, isn't it.

Kids. :chuckle:

ok doser

Town thinks it's ok for a Christian to lie about someone but absolutely forbidden to use profanity.

Town thinks the use of profanity on youtube is "evil"

But

The evil scumbag who voted to allow partial birth abortion and the deliberate murder of babies accidentally born alive during an abortion was "tragically mistaken"

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I thought you left for the summer. Or was that just a fib?
Didn't plan on being back at all before the end of this semester, which would still leave a little summer. Put in a few weeks of work and got a little ahead, which is nice.

I missed a few familiar faces, but it's been a good perspective cleanser. For instance, sod trying his best to call me a liar without noting a lie or you trying to cobble an oath out of a note.

Silly kids. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Town thinks the use of profanity on youtube is "evil"
Rather, I believe posting a link to a video that drops an F-bomb is against the rules and inappropriate for a Christian web site. If you don't I'd suggest you have a mental problem...by which I mean another mental problem. :plain:

The evil scumbag who voted to allow partial birth abortion and the deliberate murder of babies accidentally born alive during an abortion was "tragically mistaken"
Rather, a man who like all men is a deeply flawed creation but is no more demonstrably evil than you made a tragic mistake in judgment that works a real evil. And you won't honestly represent even that, because that's your flaw.

ok doser

Town, defending his vote for the evil scumbag obama in 2008:
Rather, a man who like all men is a deeply flawed creation but is no more demonstrably evil than you made a tragic mistake in judgment that works a real evil. And you won't honestly represent even that, because that's your flaw.

Very subtil, town

Last edited: