Unbeliever impressions of BR X debate

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Balder said:
That's one of the areas where "god as relational" vs. "free will creatures" becomes rather monstrous, because what you end up with is deadly compulsion: "Love me or else."

God is not Constantine who threatens death without conversion. God loves, woos, draws, persuades. Love relationships must be freely chosen and maintained. Man introduced the consequences of sin when he rebelled. God is a responsible Moral Governor of the universe. His Law of Love must be upheld. This includes sanctions for breaking His Law. As a parent or a Judge, one should appreciate that Hitler must be held accountable and stopped. Rewards for obedience are equally important.

The gift of free will entails the possibility of chosing to love God or chosing to live for Self. The former continues forever in His presence, while the latter results in separation from God.

It is to God's credit that He gave you free will instead of making robotons or slaves. If you chose to be a slave to sin and Self, there will be consequences (cf. jumping off a cliff and breaking the law of gravity). God has done everything to bring you back. He became a man and died an ignominious death. He loved us to the point of dying for us. If you spit in His face, you will be allowed to spend eternity in the insane asylum for stupid, selfish people. Not only is this fair, it is just. Love and holiness are two wings of the bird. Love without truth is sentimentality. Truth without love would be harsh. God is love, but He is also Holy and responsible to allow righteousness to reign and evil to be banished in the end.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
GuySmiley said:
Then the historical evidence (including the Bible) ought to show a gradual 'evolution' about who Jesus was. But it doesn't. The text of the Bible existed as we have it today very close to Jesus' life. So there is no gradual fabrication. A sudden fabrication too close to the time Jesus actually lived would've been killed off early since people who knew Jesus were still alive. As an example, the gnostics.
Are you aware of how old the earliest, nearly complete, set of gospels is?

:think:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Knight said:
There will be no knees bowing to the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy.
That's not their style, so far as I understand.

There will come a day when you think back upon that statement in a remorseful way.
Unless we're both very wrong about the Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy, I think not. :nono:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
godrulz said:
God is not Constantine who threatens death without conversion.
Your deity merely promises eternal torment for those who do not convert. Simple death is much easier to deal with.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
That Zakath has the nerve to even comment on a page about a Battle Royale after the butt whooping he was on the bad end of in 03. Wow. That takes guts to even go back near a ring after what you went through.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
CRASH said:
That Zakath has the nerve to even comment on a page about a Battle Royale after the butt whooping he was on the bad end of in 03. Wow. That takes guts to even go back near a ring after what you went through.
Now that was truly an edifying post, Crash. It really contributes to the topic under discussion. :rolleyes:

Why not come back and comment after you've been around longer than a couple of months... :loser:

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Nice try Zaketh - my joined date is wrong. I was here well before you at the turn of the millinium, ask Gerald. I took a few years off and will probably leave again soon. I have a life.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
CRASH said:
Nice try Zaketh - my joined date is wrong. I was here well before you at the turn of the millinium, ask Gerald. I took a few years off and will probably leave again soon.
If you say so... don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I have a life.
Sure you do... that's why you're here, posting on the Unbelievers' discussion of BR X. :darwinsm:

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Later

Later

Zakath said:
If you say so... don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Sure you do... that's why you're here, posting on the Unbelievers' discussion of BR X. :darwinsm:

Good point.