TruthSmack LIVE!!!

the Sibbie

Originally posted by Knight

Learning to use a Mac is like learning how to eat or drink from a cup... it just comes naturally! :D
Well the only reason why I'd agree with you Knight is because you seem to have a lot of computer knowledge and experience with both systems(?). I have never used a Mac, so I wouldn't know. If Turbo is up for the challenge, I'd say he should get a Mac...if he can wait til September that is.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by the Sibbie

Well the only reason why I'd agree with you Knight is because you seem to have a lot of computer knowledge and experience with both systems(?). I have never used a Mac, so I wouldn't know. If Turbo is up for the challenge, I'd say he should get a Mac...if he can wait til September that is.
Why does he have to wait until September?

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Starting Sept. they'll be shipping G5-based iMacs, so they've apparently discontinued the G4 line of iMacs.

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by Lucky

Which alternative are yall talking about?

There's OpenOffice.org, Star Office, Corel...

I actually avoid office apps as much as possible. I'm certainly not a desktop publisher! (Though some assume that since I like computers that I also like to make that silly powerpoint junk.) A pure text editor is all I need 99% of the time.

Vi?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Starting Sept. they'll be shipping G5-based iMacs, so they've apparently discontinued the G4 line of iMacs.
Yeah, maybe I should hold out. :think: I wish I knew what the prices will be.

I might end up going with an eMac. It depends on whether I can get a good enough deal on an iMac.

When is the next OS release coming out? Anyone know offhand?

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
I got it working all of a sudden. Thanks Crow.

I've been harassing the chat room periodically all night.

I'm so glad Knight didn't make me a moderator! :bannana:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

I know but the regular iMac's are available everywhere.... just not directly through Mac.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I thought I read somewhere early 2005.
Yep. I just read that too.

I may hold out till September to get a G5. But I dont think I'll wait for La Tigra. :nono:

SOTK

Why don't you build your own computer, Turbo? You have total control over the parts you want in your computer versus what a Company wants you to have.

I hand pick all my parts. If you know what you want and where to get it, you can usually build a better computer than what it costs to buy a brand new one.

Plus, it's fun! :D I don't know if you've seen some of my pictures in the gallery, but I've gotten into cosmetic modding which is a lot of fun. You can build a computer with a clear glass side window, led case fans, cold cathode lights, UV sensitive wire sleeves, etc.

Also, you can pick out motherboards which have way more hardware features than what comes on Macs or normal PC's. For example, I'm fond of boards with USB2 and Firewire ports, lots of PCI slots for future add-on cards, and integrated components such as nVidia's SoundStorm audio and integrated ethernet or giganet. Plus, I always go with a RAID board which allows for a total of 8 IDE devices. My current board has regular IDE connections, RAID IDE, and I have the newest SATA RAID controller too. What all this means is that I can have multiple hard drives and multiple optical drives. I currently have 3 hard drives, a DVD ROM, a DVD RW drive, and a ZIP drive. I could even add more. The extra hard drives are nice when I'm doing video editing. If you and the Sibbie ever buy a Digital Camcorder and decide to digitally transfer to your computer for video editing, it will take an insane amount of space.

Anyways, I'm just pointing out that there are advantages to custom building. It's much easier and cheaper for me to keep with the technological advances as well. That's where Apple and other Computer manufacturers get the consumer. They want you to turn around and buy a whole computer for them when you outgrow it. I don't do that. I take out the old and put in the new.

That's my two cents!

SOTK

SOTK

12 hours later......

The "turbo 2000"!

Uhhh....that's not exactly what I had in mind. However, that might pass for Turbo's current computer given the descriptions he's given!

:D