Truth Smacker

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Reality is what actually exists from moment to moment....as most fundamental. It is 'be-ing' and 'be-coming'

pj

Do you think God created other intelligent complicated life that has visited earth in space ships?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
UFOlogy

UFOlogy

Do you think God created other intelligent complicated life that has visited earth in space ships?

I had a thread once on 'ET Theology',....perhaps you missed out on it.

I've already addressed GM concerning his assumptions about the Urantia Book having anything to do with UFOs here.

I don't find it unreasonable nor impossible that the Infinite Creator and his Creator-Sons have innumerable worlds and universes strewn thru-out the cosmos and that Creation itself is an eternal continuum. The evidence in religious historical writings of antiquity and modern day UFO contacts and sightings all support the earth being visited in one form or another by extraterrestrials.

See: The Disclosure Project

pj

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
patty-cake......

patty-cake......

I believe in the dialectical process. So, I don't have a problem with term. In fact, I rather enjoy truthsmacking, especially when I am doing the smacking. Open rebuke is better than love carefully revealed. That's why they call it tough love.

I agree to an extent. However,....each 'truth-smacker' is often coming from their own estimation/definition of 'truth',....having their own beliefs or qualifications of such. If however in a debate we can question, challenge and research just what 'truth' is, either on its own as an absolute reality, or what 'truth' is relative to this or that value-system, denomination or assumption...then a creative or constructive dialogue can ensue. However, some of the 'home-team' truth-smackers here have a more under-handed and condescending way of 'smacking'. From there on out, its a matter of strategy and conduct ;)

In-joy!

pj

PureX

What exactly is a truth smacker? And is open rebuke really better than love carefully concealed?
Mostly, it's just some self-righteous turd who thinks he's really clever as he insults other people to compensate for his own fear of failure. "Truth-smacking" is what over-grown adolescents call their obsession with childish school-yard bullying, that they've never managed to grow out of. Now, though, they pretend it's godly and righteous behavior in hopes that this will somehow excuse them of their obvious mental and emotional retardation.

Get the idea? ;)

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Mostly, it's just some self-righteous turd who thinks he's really clever as he insults other people to compensate for his own fear of failure. "Truth-smacking" is what over-grown adolescents call their obsession with childish school-yard bullying, that they've never managed to grow out of. Now, though, they pretend it's godly and righteous behavior in hopes that this will somehow excuse them of their obvious mental and emotional retardation.

Get the idea? ;)

I think the 'truth-smacking' has simmered down some,...but I'm only active here in the Religion section mostly. Did the sister site 'Truth Smack' close down? Im just going by memory,...and wondered if that forum was still up and running.

pj

PureX

I think the 'truth-smacking' has simmered down some,...but I'm only active here in the Religion section mostly. Did the sister site 'Truth Smack' close down? Im just going by memory,...and wondered if that forum was still up and running.

pj
I did't know there was a sister site. Probably wouldn't have visited it, anyway. The offensive behavior seems to be and flow, here. I try not to get drawn in. I'm not always successful, though.

bybee

I did't know there was a sister site. Probably wouldn't have visited it, anyway. The offensive behavior seems to be and flow, here. I try not to get drawn in. I'm not always successful, though.

Sometimes the fat lady doesn't want to hear comments about her size. Sometimes we have delusions about ourselves.
A truth smack may cut through a delusion, and painful as it is to hear, the truth does set us free. But it only works if we have the courage to look it in the face.

PureX

Sometimes the fat lady doesn't want to hear comments about her size. Sometimes we have delusions about ourselves.
A truth smack may cut through a delusion, and painful as it is to hear, the truth does set us free. But it only works if we have the courage to look it in the face.
I used to believe that, but after having been around TOL for a long time, it looks to me like all the "truth-smacking" really does is push the one being "smacked" to become even more entrenched in his/her auto-defensiveness, while it inflates the ego and self-righteousness of the one doing the smacking. So that neither of them is improved by the practice.

As a result, I have been trying not to engage in it anymore, myself. I'm not always successful, because we all like feeling superior and clever and self-righteous, and I'm no different. But it is becoming more and more obvious to me that engaging in such behavior helps no one, spiritually, and in fact it does a lot of harm.

YOU, on the other hand, DESERVE a good SMACK now and then!!! :chuckle:

bybee

I used to believe that, but after having been around TOL for a long time, it looks to me like all the "truth-smacking" really does is push the one being "smacked" to become even more entrenched in his/her auto-defensiveness, while it inflates the ego and self-righteousness of the one doing the smacking. So that neither of them is improved by the practice.

As a result, I have been trying not to engage in it anymore, myself. I'm not always successful, because we all like feeling superior and clever and self-righteous, and I'm no different. But it is becoming more and more obvious to me that engaging in such behavior helps no one, spiritually, and in fact it does a lot of harm.

YOU, on the other hand, DESERVE a good SMACK now and then!!! :chuckle:

Yes and when I do get smacked I pay attention. If it makes me uncomfortable then I know I have some soul searching to do. If it makes me mad then I know I need to get off the computer for a while! :mmph:

PureX

Yes and when I do get smacked I pay attention. If it makes me uncomfortable then I know I have some soul searching to do. If it makes me mad then I know I need to get off the computer for a while! :mmph:
You are clearly an exception. :)

The trick is to learn to do that without being "smacked", though. :hammer:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
patty cakes...............

patty cakes...............

Bingo!

I admit engaging discussion with some of the die-hard fundamentalists here, that sometimes they can hit certain reactive buttons in their typical 'truth-smacking' antics,...which of course we of a universal spirituality can see right thru,....and the temptation can be present to fall into ego-to-ego combat, which does depress and diminish the quality of the dialogue, to say nothing of quenching any real respect or love, or just enjoying the sharing of different beliefs and perspectives about a subject. What happened to just having an open-minded and ended discussion for the sheer joy of it? Just have a 'creative dialogue', and let it go wherever.

That's the real quest-ion,....Is my contribution helpful or harmful? - once ad hominems, pot-shots and hurtful language is issued,...the damage is done upon reception, unless there is a resolve, apology or forgiveness of some kind between two persons. We are known by our words and will be judged by our words.

It can be hard to separate the ego from ones religious 'belief', and if one suffers...their 'mind' believes or feels that they are being threatened or harmed somehow,....showing some kind of ego-investment in their religious belief. I often relax such tensions and freely admit that any religious belief, opinion, point of view, bias or speculation on my part about 'God' or anything else is just that. I have no attachment to it, they are but observations of the habit or propensity of the mind. They can change at any moment.

There may be an absolute truth existing, as it is truly defined,...but all else is 'relative',...and subject to change or distortion. A point of view, is a point of view. - that's it. Once someone invests 'reality' into it though, that's when one can get 'ballastic' in defending their 'golden calves' - in the name of 'God' of course :rolleyes: - however, when their apologetic style and demeanor gets hateful,...that's when a red-flag goes up. When their treatment of others is cruel, spiteful, demeaning....I don't care what they call themselves,...they are enemies and haters of 'God'. Their 'theology' is valueless IMO.

Anyways,....I smack back in my own way, and let the fundy 'truth-smackers' carry on. It may provide an ego-thrill, but I think a better representation of 'reality' might be the letting go and transcendence of 'ego', for the spiritual reality and universal truth that is ever present (this reality exists prior to words, thought, concepts, etc.)

pj