Town Quixote's

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, I do have that awesome ability, don't I? :peach:

My point, however, is that everyone has something great to offer, you, DK, and this is Town's forte. There's no point in getting upset or intimidated by it.

Nope, there isn't. I read this thread because of the humor.

IMJerusha

His complaint: He doesn't like TH so he and his friend Nang go out of their way to be as unpleasant to him as humanly possible.

:baby:

You're a great gal Rusha but I did ask DK that question. I'd like to read his answer if he's of a mind to give it.

IMJerusha

Thats it? :rotfl: Gads, wven a tard can see what these summations are. Only narcissists defend unChristion blusteeing.

I'm sorry, but what have I said to you here that would necessitate you insulting me? You're sort of investing in the logging industry, aren't you? And if you're going to do that, at least do it with panache and spell your words correctly! It just flops otherwise. :plain:

resodko

BANNED
Banned
And...

resodko posts:
wrong comparison

beyonce doesn't produce her voice electronically - she sings by pushing air in a controlled fashion through her vocal cords

town replies: Bey interprets other people's music, other people's art. So when I note Pollack painting by numbers would be a closer and actual parallel that's because it demonstrably is. What you attempted wasn't. Pollack using other's paints to create art is no different than a composer using a piano he didn't make to write a sonata.

in your haste to gather your culls for this, your self-celebrating blog, you must have overlooked my rebuttal:

town posted: Bey interprets other people's music, other people's art.

res replies: so you consider the songwriter to be the artist, but the singer who performs their work (interprets it) to not be one?

town posted: So when I note Pollack painting by numbers would be a closer and actual parallel that's because it demonstrably is.

res replies: only if "bey" :chuckle: was provided with a songwriter's output that clearly and explicitly delineated exactly where every inflection and break should occur

and she sang like a robot

but let's see how you feel about these "faux" artists

artist?

traviatahdl110107.jpg

artist?
luciano_pavarotti_himself_wallpaper-402427-1283740063.jpeg

bybee

I'm sorry, but what have I said to you here that would necessitate you insulting me? You're sort of investing in the logging industry, aren't you? And if you're going to do that, at least do it with panache and spell your words correctly! It just flops otherwise. :plain:

I think "dreadknought is a would be juggernaut in a toothpick forest. Something like a tempest in a teacup?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...Post your superior intellect in your peraonal journal.
Cause the intellectual bully is boxed into a corner.
.....Go post a journal for your conquests.
Thats it? :rotfl: Gads, wven a tard can see what these summations are. Only narcissists defend unChristion blusteeing.
.....observations without malice.
:plain:

IMJerusha

I think "dreadknought is a would be juggernaut in a toothpick forest. Something like a tempest in a teacup?

Bybee, I would say that the behavior of anyone here at TOL directly correlates with their level of gratitude to God for the Gift of His Son on their behalf.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And now, a brief pause for...

The Day After Hump Day Gazette

Wrapped up a bit of metaphysical speculation...
Hence the Trinity. ;) Thus also why non-Trinitarian views, including Unitarianism, suffer from making creation a necessary act somehow needed by God.
...the only thing that can't be done by love in that circumstance is sacrifice. And it is in that reflection that I suspect our existence becomes less than mandate and more than whim, or that we are, instead, a d
desire of God.

And with quip...
Though that declaration is, at best, faith-based speculation and belies the possibility that, at the start, God is no more than a humanly contrived projection.
It's a contextual declaration, to be sure. :)

As such, God would indeed be contingent upon man.
Well, the moment you say God is contingent you're really saying there is no God, only a little more interestingly.

Better question, is what you've abstrusely set out here merely the very product reflecting back upon itself?
A curious charge given the immediate preceding and this reduce to that same contextual declaration that defines our different approach to existence. :eek:

Spoke to the Golden rule and its relation to Christ and his followers...
... Do you believe Mat. 23:13-33? If that's to be believed, Jesus broke the Golden Rule more than several times when he insulted the Jewish authorities with being hypocrites and brood of vipers.
No, he spoke the truth in judgment of those who were misleading their charges. He spoke as the judge and from authority.

The Golden Rule states not to do unto others what we would not like they did unto ourselves.
No, the heathen have likened law to that sentiment. The fulfilled law is affirmative. It is that we are to do unto others that which we would have done unto ourselves. We are compelled, as love is compelled, to act and consider with an active heart.

Do you think Jesus would have liked to be treated as a hypocrite and brood of vipers?
I think Jesus would have loved any truth spoken of him, which could not then condemn him. So it's a bit like asking if Jesus would have liked someone to note horns he didn't possess. I doubt he liked being nailed to a cross and reviled, but he looked down from that cross and declared an active love of his murderers.

And free will with Tot...
I would love to pull down man's favourite idol.

the delusion of Freewill
You just had to go and say that, didn't you. :eek:

Then, after I noted influence doesn't necessarily negate choice...
thank you for that
But of course.

did you go back to see what we are talking about?
Did you? :plain:

ultimate fate
You think the scale changes the answer?

Interesting.

Then over in the NFL thread...
I can bench 225 x 8
Yeah? Not bad...with which arm? :plain:

And tet said...
At the NBA Combine, the players have to bench press 185 pounds.
Usually their agents.

Talked politics and popularity with repchk...
...I am glad Walker didn't get a college degree. That means more Americans are going to be able to relate to him. A lot of regular folks didn't get a degree either, 4 one reason or another...
A lot of regular people have DUI convictions too...or, I think identification is a good thing, but it should be for a good reason, don't you think?

Tomorrow? Catholic Hindus and maybe more dialogue with dead4naught over how this thread doesn't promote dialogue. :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A brief pause for...

The Monday-Monday Gazette

Caught chrys trying to alter the program...
he said he belongs to Presbyterian church that uses the Westminster Confession of Faith
I told him that would make him an Anglican
And I noted you're a Catholic that believes in reincarnation.

I think that makes you a Hindu.

And...
nang is interested in your beliefs
That's funny. She's literally never asked me a direct question about them. Odd, isn't it.

and
she knows how hard it is to get real information out of you
So do you. Why a long while back you wanted to know who I voted for in a Presidential election. It took a Herculian effort. I think it went something like: who did you vote for in the last presidential election?

so
I was just trying to help her out
Why of course you were. :plain:

Noted, on the ongoing, dragging, fading Deflate-gate...
Not bad, overall.

The latest Deflategate twists and turns continue to make the league and officials look more and more incompetent without any latest revelations impugning the world champs, I'm happy to report.
I heard something the other day that impacts my belief in that ever coming to anything. It seems the commissioners' salary but his bonuses, the ones that make millions into real money is decided by a three man panel.

Guess who one of the three is...(hint: it rhymes with aft). :plain:

While in the Pediatrician thread...
Can't say I see a through line between supporting abortion rights (at best, one can argue for the mother's welfare) and refusing to treat an infant because of their parents (at best, a self-serving stunt born of self-righteousness).
It's the same root, the "my philosophical principle trumps all" approach that subjugates what should be the primary concern of a physician.

And...
...Why would anyone WANT their infant treated by a conflicted doctor?
Why would anyone who didn't value the health of her patient over her own personal likes or dislikes be a doctor?

rainee dropped by the American Idol thread...
I'm glad to see you Town.
It's good to be back around.

Post on topic?
Yeah. You know. It's a show. On television. People burst into song, but unlike a musical there's an apparent point to it.

Over in the Repchk go away thread...
I think she fits in with most of the other Christians at ToL perfectly. She doesn't stand out as any different to me at all.
So you don't actually read her then...or is it that you don't actually read most Christians who post here...or both? :plain:

I think the Democrats should fund TV+Radio political commentary shows with her as the host and aCW as her sidekick. If I were in charge of media strategy for the Democrats, that would be my first order of business. Just put them front and center, doing exactly what they do, representing the right wing. Knight does a pretty good job of showcasing her (and aCW's wacky gay parade hijinks), but really, TOL just doesn't give her nearly enough exposure.
She's like the Phil Collins of TOL...well, if this was the 80s.

So morph set out a fairly impressive personal investment he'd made in terms of opposing abortion and of course chrys said...
that is all very nice
He actually put his principle in action and you wave it away with a "nice"?

What have you done that approaches that? Pulled a lever? :rolleyes:

And in the pediatrician thread he hit it out of the park with...
You don't care for Christ by doing what you think is right; you show your love for Christ by doing as He instructed by word and example. Resolving the conflict is done by aligning your own heart with His. So are you actually trying to tell us that if a lesbian, or a prostitute, took their child to Him to be healed He would have turned the child away?

Then I talked her conduct and the response to it here with lmhm...
To me it seems like the parable of the Good Samaritan applies pretty well to this case..

:think:
Everyone wants to go to war, wave the flag, charge the hill.

Who wants to visit the sick?

In the morning thread...
:wazzup: my peeps. 7 to 8 inches of snow fell over night.. Terrible drive into work this morning..
It's about 68 here and sunny...um, but there's a bit of a breeze. :think: Made for a blustery walk down the lane. :eek:

I might have missed something...
I mean...a guy could lose a good kite in this sort of weather (and that was a great suggestion, kmo! :thumb:) :think: :noid:

Picked at chrys a little...a smidge...
nice

I wonder if the calvinists have a confession
It's a question. Do Catholics have a Holy Obligation chart or do you mostly just wing it?

Then IMJ said of a link to a religion chart I found...
Well that's a garbage website IMO.
Something off in the chart? They left yours out, didn't they. :plain: Well, keep getting converts. Maybe next year you'll be in the bigs. :eek:

And...
I have no reason to convert anyone.
Well, if you want to make the chart...

It's simply a matter of understanding the faith God gave us and seeing its continuance through the centuries. Every one of us is where we are for a reason.
:think: So, Assembly of God then. :)

The biggest reason it's a garbage site is its divisive bent.
I think if it's bent then you probably just printed it out wrong. :eek:

Then Truster said...
...I'm always amazed by how very little scriptural knowledge most people have on TOL and it can't help wondering if they ever read the Bible
Especially Philippians 2:3. Like I have to tell you.

Tomorrow? Left overs...but I hear there's ham. :chew:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I was talking to a friend of mine here about the difference between where I see TOL and where it was in my first few years here...I'm an optimist so I keep waiting for the new influx and the turn around, but I think we've narrowed appreciably and fragmented almost to the same extent.

Take rep. Several years ago I went from new guy to the top of that particular (froze the machinery) without any particular alliance or effort. Now that wasn't to note my total, but to set up this observation: I got there because we had a wide number of regular posters who could appreciate a difference or who were different enough across a wide strata of issues to meet you on a point or more any given day.

I've watched those members slowly drift away or be driven from the boards by the extremists, the folks who only hear or appreciate an echo of their voice and that's a shame. I think that can give the appearance of activity, but underneath there's a sort of rot. New people happen by and quickly get that sense and are in equally short order gone. It's one reason I stopped doing the class members by year thread. There just weren't enough who began and remained, outside of a few hostile voices. It's been that way for a few years now and it concerns me.

I suppose that fracturing is part of the reason we no longer have an ecumenical week when posters have to be on best and positive behavior. Posting would dry up, so many of the voices capable or interested in it having long since departed. And I think Knight letting go of the annual awards will only further emphasize that break. It used to be a thing that united the membership. It was a broad enough recognition that even if you weren't on the inside you felt a degree of possibility and appreciation. You weren't winning the top spot, but you could place and seeing who was placing around you made everyone feel a little better about things, a little more a part of the community, like the HOF.

Now (and no disrespect angled at the folks attempting to take the reigns) it might as well be chrys' awards or my own old faux version. And that makes one less point of cohesion, one more reduction from that community to a group of people writing on various walls.

Anyway, sorry for the serious turn. I know it's not what people stop by to see for the most part, but it's been on my mind of late. I'm one of the lucky ones. I got to see this place in a wider, more diverse and genial stride, when friends of all sorts and differences were here to be had and could be differed with without the level of acrimony and anger that's all too much a part of the scenery now...even if we've always had trolls, bikers and anti theists descending on us from time to time in waves. We also had waves of interesting and interested people who sensed that community and found enough voices within it to expand and enrich it.

Enough of those remain, the old friends if fewer and fewer new ones. to take the place of those I liked and struggled with or against and I wonder if that's just the inevitable way of things...if that shift might be a natural part of a cycle and people like me are just the latest old folks shaking their heads about the kids' music. Maybe this is what most want and will be for a time. Maybe I'm just part of an increasingly odd man out.

But I hope not.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Thank you for posting your concern. I actually share it but from a different perspective which shouldn't be a surprise.

What causes do you suspect? Maybe we could compare lists?

IMJerusha

Thank you for posting your concern. I actually share it but from a different perspective which shouldn't be a surprise.

What causes do you suspect? Maybe we could compare lists?

I don't know what version you read, my dear, but the one I read listed his suspect cause.

IMJerusha

I was talking to a friend of mine here about the difference between where I see TOL and where it was in my first few years here...I'm an optimist so I keep waiting for the new influx and the turn around, but I think we've narrowed appreciably and fragmented almost to the same extent.

Take rep. Several years ago I went from new guy to the top of that particular (froze the machinery) without any particular alliance or effort. Now that wasn't to note my total, but to set up this observation: I got there because we had a wide number of regular posters who could appreciate a difference or who were different enough across a wide strata of issues to meet you on a point or more any given day.

I've watched those members slowly drift away or be driven from the boards by the extremists, the folks who only hear or appreciate an echo of their voice and that's a shame. I think that can give the appearance of activity, but underneath there's a sort of rot. New people happen by and quickly get that sense and are in equally short order gone. It's one reason I stopped doing the class members by year thread. There just weren't enough who began and remained, outside of a few hostile voices. It's been that way for a few years now and it concerns me.

I suppose that fracturing is part of the reason we no longer have an ecumenical week when posters have to be on best and positive behavior. Posting would dry up, so many of the voices capable or interested in it having long since departed. And I think Knight letting go of the annual awards will only further emphasize that break. It used to be a thing that united the membership. It was a broad enough recognition that even if you weren't on the inside you felt a degree of possibility and appreciation. You weren't winning the top spot, but you could place and seeing who was placing around you made everyone feel a little better about things, a little more a part of the community, like the HOF.

Now (and no disrespect angled at the folks attempting to take the reigns) it might as well be chrys' awards or my own old faux version. And that makes one less point of cohesion, one more reduction from that community to a group of people writing on various walls.

Anyway, sorry for the serious turn. I know it's not what people stop by to see for the most part, but it's been on my mind of late. I'm one of the lucky ones. I got to see this place in a wider, more diverse and genial stride, when friends of all sorts and differences were here to be had and could be differed with without the level of acrimony and anger that's all too much a part of the scenery now...even if we've always had trolls, bikers and anti theists descending on us from time to time in waves. We also had waves of interesting and interested people who sensed that community and found enough voices within it to expand and enrich it.

Enough of those remain, the old friends if fewer and fewer new ones. to take the place of those I liked and struggled with or against and I wonder if that's just the inevitable way of things...if that shift might be a natural part of a cycle and people like me are just the latest old folks shaking their heads about the kids' music. Maybe this is what most want and will be for a time. Maybe I'm just part of an increasingly odd man out.

But I hope not.

My friend, I've often wondered also why we should strive if the end is already foretold. I can only say that we should because He told us to, and along the way we are given blessings for having done so despite the disappointments, despair and tragedies of life. Courtesy of another place a bit like this one, I knew what I was getting into and girded my loins, so to speak, with the knowledge, recognizing that none of us stands a spit in Hell's chance before God so we might as well just keep on keeping on as best we can in Yeshua. Whether here or anywhere else, it's all the same and guaranteed to get tougher.

SO....:carryon: You know what with the torpedoes and full speed ahead! :cheers:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't know what version you read, my dear, but the one I read listed his suspect cause.
Sure. At the heart of it is the disintegration of community here, partly the result of too many trolls and too few replacements of substance for the people who walk away from that sort of conduct. Not that TOL hasn't had career malcontents and sneering hostility.

TOL has always had the element, but for a number of years those voices were marginalized by an influx of interesting people who mostly got along and were looking for more, even while differing strongly on a number of fronts. In 07, when I first came round, there was a war of sorts finishing up between some of the old guard, who appeared to want to keep things loud and small and a number of people who'd stumbled across the place and fashioned a more reasonable and amiable beachhead of disparate voices. Some of the old guard faded away when it was clear the newcomers weren't leaving and the general ranks were turning in the milder direction. Many more accepted and thrived in the less caustic atmosphere.

Some things Knight instituted helped that atmosphere along. The week of good behavior was one. The awards were another and the HOF as well. These are the sorts of things that lend a sense of community. The negation of that week, the handing off of the POTY duties, to my mind, undermine that, as has the drain on that group and the attitude they carried and the disproportionate influx of pot stirrers and malcontents and the impact they have on potential and newer members.

The good news is that nothing is written in stone and the best days of TOL could still be in front of it. But there's work to do and some ground to regain.

IMJerusha

Oh right. How could I be so stupid? It's the fracturing, right?

Yes, partly, but I also read about "folks who only hear or appreciate an echo of their voice." They're only looking inward and not seeing all the flavor of the Body in faith. And btw, I don't think you're stupid. If you think my comment implied that, you have my apology.

resodko

BANNED
Banned

But I hope not.

so it looks like what you’re saying is that ever since you arrived and became a big noise, tol has been going downhill

:think:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
so it looks like what you’re saying is that ever since you arrived and became a big noise, tol has been going downhill
No, not it at all really, though I expect if I wrote TOL was better than ever you'd have said the same thing.

Or if I'd talked about the weather. :plain:

resodko

BANNED
Banned
no, i read it

you're whining that when you first showed up, you became a big noise in short order and things were just fine

then because of others (not yourself of course) the place has diminished

well, i was here long before you ever showed up and graced us with your brilliance

and i can point out the exact date things started getting worse - it was about seven and a half years ago when a certain self-impressed blowhard started thinking he should run the place