Top physicist on climate change....

gcthomas

You were proven wrong, and now that you have been proven wrong, you have no other explanation as to how this wooden ship was able to navigate the Northwest Passage in 1903.

As the Royal Museum at Greenwich, the National Maritime Museum, says - the ship could be dragged through water only 1 m deep.

Are you suggesting that the Museum is part of the global conspiracy, and that your inexpert interpretation of Naval Engineering dimensions and Wikipedia are somehow superior to theirs?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
OK, another photo analysis - can't resist.

On my screen, the ladder (assume 11' as you suggest) is 58 mm long. The camera is shooting at an angle of approx 45º, so the perpendicular length of the ladder is 58 mm / sin(45º) = 82 mm.
The side depth from the keel to the level of the top deck is, level with the far end of the ladder, 60 mm. 60/82 × 11' = 8', give or take, leaving a draught of 3-4'.

So your point is?

Once again, you are making yourself look foolish.

The ship is 70 feet in length, which if we use the 11' ladder for a baseline, works out perfectly.

If we stand the 11' ladder up, it wouldn't come close to reaching the top of the ship.

As Knight said, you just keep embarrassing yourself more and more.

Also, notice the size of the two people in the bottom far right of the photo.

gcthomas

If we stand the 11' ladder up, it wouldn't come close to reaching the top of the ship.

You didn't measure it! The ladder, measured without even allowing for the perspective, is the same height as from keel to deck in the middle of the ship.

Go on - don't just assert. Find a ruler and measure it for yourself. You believe so much that what ought to be true must be true that you forgot to check your claim.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You didn't measure it! The ladder, measured without even allowing for the perspective, is the same height as from keel to deck in the middle of the ship.

Go on - don't just assert. Find a ruler and measure it for yourself. You believe so much that what ought to be true must be true that you forgot to check your claim.

The Fram Museum expanded in 2011, and the Gjoa is now undercover.

The following picture proves you wrong once again:

Hugh-Dale-Harris-Gjoa-Fram-Museum.jpg

Compare the size of the polar bear with the ship

According to Wikipedia, polar bears reach a height of about 10 feet on their hind legs.

Tyrathca

Who do you assume is right about this ship?

Spoiler
1024x1024.jpg

I'll give you a hint. It's the person who has trustworthy sources and has done the calculations to back up their arguments. Not the person with secondary sources and who just assumes their numbers rather than doing the calculations necessary.

ClimateSanity

I'll give you a hint. It's the person who has trustworthy sources and has done the calculations to back up their arguments. Not the person with secondary sources and who just assumes their numbers rather than doing the calculations necessary.

What makes one of the persons sources trustworthy and the other persons not? Whether they are secondary or not? My guess is that primary sources are generally written by people who agree with you? My guess is that the establishments who decide who gets published and who doesn't are run by people of your mindset? They throw all papers in the trash written by people you don't like? What a little game you guys have going. Hold the keys to what is considered trustworthy and define it to your liking. That way, anything that is not from those sources is untrustworthy by definition. It is just a very sneaky and underhanded way to censor those you don't like. Hitler with a smile.

genuineoriginal

I still don't know which one you are talking about.

Is it the one that thinks the men walking in front of the ship are around 6' tall or the one that thinks the men walking in front of the ship are around 3' tall?

Spoiler
1024x1024.jpg

Alate_One

I'm still trying to figure out why everyone started arguing about the size of a ship.

In any case the OP is basically argument to authority, and a single authority. I can cite thousands of scientists that do not agree. There's also the dozens of scientific organizations that support climate science.

If you don't believe the data or the authorities . . .
Believe your eyes

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
I'm still trying to figure out why everyone started arguing about the size of a ship.

I think it started with this post:

I have no doubt that some climate scientists have made extreme predictions that have turned out to be false. However, others have made accurate predictions. For example, back in 1981, James Hansen et al. wrote:

“The global temperature rose by 0.2ºC between the middle 1960’s and 1980, yielding a warming of 0.4ºC in the past century. This temperature increase is consistent with the calculated greenhouse effect due to measured increases of atmospheric carbon dioxide...It is shown that the anthropogenic carbon dioxide warming should emerge from the noise level of natural climate variability by the end of the century, and there is a high probability of warming in the 1980’s. Potential effects on climate in the 21st century include the creation of drought-prone regions in North America and central Asia as part of a shifting of climate zones, erosion of the West Antarctic ice sheet with a consequent worldwide rise in sea level, and opening of the fabled Northwest Passage.”​

Source: http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/1981/1981_Hansen_etal_1.pdf

Tetelestai homed in on that last prediction about the "opening of the fabled Northwest Passage", and it just took off from there.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Is it the one that thinks the men walking in front of the ship are around 6' tall or the one that thinks the men walking in front of the ship are around 3' tall?

gcthomas thinks a 45 ton ship with a crew of seven men and enough supplies for five years navigated through 3 feet of water.

The point is that wooden ships navigated the Northwest Passage from 1853 to the early 1900's with no problem.

Same thing with the Northern Sea Route. The German U-435 reported ice-free waters north of the Norwegian archipelago Svalbard. The sub went above the 81st Parallel in August of 1942 in route to the Kara Sea. The Germans were worried that the USA was sending supplies to the Russians via the Northern Sea Route because of how little ice there was that year, that is why the German U-435 was in the Kara Sea.

Here are the two passages:

arctic_sea_routes_northern_sea_route_and_northwest_passage_003.png

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
A short while later in 1942, because of the lack of sea-ice, the German command ordered the battleship Admiral Scheer into the Kara Sea to search for convoys from the USA and/or Canada that may have been sending supplies to Russia.

Because of the open waters and lack of sea-ice, the Germans were concerned the USA would be using the Northern Sea Route.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Beats arguing about tigers. ;)

In any case the OP is basically argument to authority, and a single authority. I can cite thousands of scientists that do not agree. There's also the dozens of scientific organizations that support climate science.
Evolutionists love it when the argument is about how many people believe something.

How about you address what OP was actually about. :up:

gcthomas

How about you address what OP was actually about. :up:

The OP provided no evidence beyond the inexpert, unsupported opinion of one elderly physicist commenting outside of his area of expertise.

If he was still a member of the UK's learned body, the Institute of Physics, he would be acting against the code of ethics in claiming expertise outside of his experience.

How should we are arguments from authority apart from appeals to the scientific consensus? Science doesn't operate with 'authorities', although creationists and conspiracy theorists alike love to tout the credentials of their cherry picked 'authorities'.