Tongues

clefty

I said
There is your problem. You filter everything through your imagination before you believe it.

2 Cor 10:5
5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
(KJV)
Lol...I have an imagination? You add to the word and come up with your "do what thou wilt" Wednesday church...

And claim Paul who instructed "Copy me, my brothers, as I copy Christ himself." taught it was all good...for da peace...

You even have more imagination than all these...

http://www.biblesabbath.org/confessions.html

http://www.sundaylaw.net/opening/said.htm

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Lol...I have an imagination? You add to the word and come up with your "do what thou wilt" Wednesday church...

And claim Paul who instructed "Copy me, my brothers, as I copy Christ himself." taught it was all good...for da peace...

You even have more imagination than all these...

http://www.biblesabbath.org/confessions.html

http://www.sundaylaw.net/opening/said.htm

I said
Complain, complain, but you are never specific about your complaint. You are away to sensual.

Jude 1:19
19 These are sensual persons, who cause divisions, not having the Spirit.
(NKJ)

TweetyBird

Of course they were overjoyed to comply, they wanted to defeat death too...is why they crowded into the synagogues Sabbath after Sabbath to hear Moses read to them to get the back story and blue prints and play book as to how and why they could do so too...

But then then some Jews demanded they be circumcised which was something not even required of goys in the OT to leave Egypt with the Hebrews and be saved...

The Gentiles did not crowd the synagogues to hear Moses preached, but to hear the Apostles who went there to preach the Gospel.

clefty

The Gentiles did not crowd the synagogues to hear Moses preached, but to hear the Apostles who went there to preach the Gospel.

Not even Yahushua Himself could preach the gospel to other believing Jews on the road to Emmus without starting at Moses...

How would you ever be able to preach it without Moses, creation, sin, the Law, sacrifices?

It would be another gospel indeed...

Besides Paul could have easily told them to meet elsewhere and on another day...

But there he was Sabbath after Sabbath...

And goys didn't mind...

TweetyBird

you might not see a problem...but if Paul would actually have said it was ok for them to choose any day they want even Wednesday...imagine the uproar of the Jews who already falsely accusing him of teaching the law changed.

He did say that, however.

Rom 14
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it ...

Then he said, do not judge ....

Instead he was able to claim:

"My accusers did not find me arguing with anyone at the temple, or stirring up a crowd in the synagogues or anywhere else in the city. 13 And they cannot prove to you the charges they are now making against me. 14 However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets, 15 and I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked. 16 So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man."

Paul said he BELIEVED everything WRITTEN in the Law and Prophets. I do as well, because they prophesied of Christ.

Paul also said that when he was with the Gentiles he did not keep the Law to win them to Christ. When he was with the Jews, he kept the Law to win them to Christ. So keeping the Law and not keeping the Law were the same to him - to use to his advantage, not because he was keeping it for righteousness sake. Paul did not keep the Law himself away from the Jews. The NT shows this.

what relationship would you have with Lord of the Sabbath if you rather chose Wednesday?

The same as every other day, every hour, every minute, every second of my life - living for Him, worshiping Him, honoring Him, loving Him in a wonderful relationship and deepens every moment of life. It is not the day that one chooses to worship the Lord, it your heart and the motives therein. Heb 4:12+

Acts 24: "I was ceremonially clean when they found me in the temple courts doing this."

Taken out of context. Paul was accused of profaning the Temple.

Acts 25 "Paul made his defense: "I have done nothing wrong against the law of the Jews or against the temple or against Caesar."

I don't see where Paul stated he was keeping the Law of the Jews. I have nothing wrong against it or the temple and I don't keep the Mosaic Law either.

Imagine Paul getting thousands of citizens of Rome to worship some superstitious Jewish dude on Caesar's day...

But you would have him be a liar hypocrite and traitor...to both God and god.

Sunday was not a day of worship for the Romans. They didn't have one. Sunday is the first day of the week when Jesus arose. That is why Christians began to worship specifically on that day as time went on. The early church worshiped and gathered together 7 days a week.

yup Sabbath is a shadow still of things to come...as Paul confirms in Heb 4:9 which you have ignored...

You snipped that way out of context. The writer was referring to Jesus/God appointing another day That day and place is one of belief in Christ Jesus for perfect rest is in Him, not in a literal day of the week. That is why He is Lord of the Sabbath [REST]. The word sabbath means "REST" not 7.

Heb 4
1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. 2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. 3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. 6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: 7 again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. 8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

TweetyBird

Not even Yahushua Himself could preach the gospel to other believing Jews on the road to Emmus without starting at Moses...

How would you ever be able to preach it without Moses, creation, sin, the Law, sacrifices?

It would be another gospel indeed...

Besides Paul could have easily told them to meet elsewhere and on another day...

But there he was Sabbath after Sabbath...

And goys didn't mind...

The Law was given as a shadow of Christ, point towards Him. Once He came, the Law was no longer the schoolmaster to point to Christ. Christ Himself is our Teacher, not the Law. They did meet another day. They met every day. Paul preached on the first day of the week until late in the night, remember?

Acts 20
7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. 8 And there were many lights in the upper chamber, where they were gathered together. 9 And there sat in a window a certain young man named Eutychus, being fallen into a deep sleep: and as Paul was long preaching, he sunk down with sleep, and fell down from the third loft, and was taken up dead. 10 And Paul went down, and fell on him, and embracing him said, Trouble not yourselves; for his life is in him. 11 When he therefore was come up again, and had broken bread, and eaten, and talked a long while, even till break of day, so he departed.

It is unlikely that Gentiles were allowed in the synagogues because they were considered unclean heathens. They actually gathered outside and waited for Paul to preach to them.

Acts 13
32 And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers, 33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee. 34 And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David. 35 Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption: 37 but he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.

38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins: 39 and by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses. 40 Beware therefore, lest that come upon you, which is spoken of in the prophets; 41 Behold, ye despisers, and wonder, and perish: for I work a work in your days, a work which ye shall in no wise believe, though a man declare it unto you.

42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath. 43 Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.

44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God. 45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming. 46 Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. 47 For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth. 48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed. 49 And the word of the Lord was published throughout all the region.

50 But the Jews stirred up the devout and honourable women, and the chief men of the city, and raised persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them out of their coasts. 51 But they shook off the dust of their feet against them, and came unto Iconium. 52 And the disciples were filled with joy, and with the Holy Ghost.

TweetyBird

Where in Scripture did Jesus change the Sabbath day to Sunday?

He was raised the first day of the week - Heb 4 tells us that in Him is the Sabbath Rest. It is not a day of the week, but belief in Christ that we gain the rest that is in God for in Him we rest from our labors. Christians have gathered on the first day of the week to worship since the first century in celebration of Jesus' Resurrection.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Gal 5:1-4

1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
(NKJ)

II Jn 1:8-11
8 Look to yourselves, that we do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward.
9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son.
10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him;
11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.
(NKJ)

clefty

He did say that, however.

Rom 14
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it ...

Discussing fasting not the Sabbath...Paul was not encouraging a departure from Law custom or tradition...that would make him a liar at his defense when he claimed he did not make changes or violate temple law...

...but even now the false accusations and witnesses are attempting to deceive and slander...

Too bad you were not at those great councils with those learned men of letters and doctorates who determined Sunday keeping was not biblical but from authority of her the Church...you could have convinced them that it was indeed in scripture...Paul said so...oh don't forget Sunday resurrection...

The same who argued making images was ok because He became incarnate would applaud your "He showed up to His followers on Sunday so He meant for us all to change that Sabbath Law and tradition!"

And you could have told them about Paul's supposed hypocrisy by teaching one thing and practicing another when convienient...

They must have missed all that...saying rather Sunday keeping was not in scripture nor supported by it but the practice came later under their authority...

TweetyBird

Discussing fasting not the Sabbath...Paul was not encouraging a departure from Law custom or tradition...that would make him a liar at his defense when he claimed he did not make changes or violate temple law...

Paul said DAY. It clearly states DAY in Rom 14. Nothing is said about fasting in that chapter.

Too bad you were not at those great councils with those learned men of letters and doctorates who determined Sunday keeping was not biblical but from authority of her the Church...you could have convinced them that it was indeed in scripture...Paul said so...oh don't forget Sunday resurrection...

Nah ... the early church writers gathered on the first day of the week, often called the 8th day because it followed the 7th day sabbath.

100 AD BARNABAS "We keep the eighth day [Sunday] with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead" (The Epistle of Barnabas, 100 AD 15:6-8).

100 AD BARNABAS: Moreover God says to the Jews, 'Your new moons and Sabbaths 1 cannot endure.' You see how he says, 'The present Sabbaths are not acceptable to me, but the Sabbath which I have made in which, when I have rested [heaven: Heb 4] from all things, I will make the beginning of the eighth day which is the beginning of another world.' Wherefore we Christians keep the eighth day for joy, on which also Jesus arose from the dead and when he appeared ascended into heaven. (15:8f, The Epistle of Barnabas, 100 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , vol. 1, pg. 147)

150AD JUSTIN: ...those who have persecuted and do persecute Christ, if they do not repent, shall not inherit anything on the holy mountain. But the Gentiles, who have believed on Him, and have repented of the sins which they have committed, they shall receive the inheritance along with the patriarchs and the prophets, and the just men who are descended from Jacob, even although they neither keep the Sabbath, nor are circumcised, nor observe the feasts. Assuredly they shall receive the holy inheritance of God. (Dialogue With Trypho the Jew, 150-165 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , vol. 1, page 207)

150AD JUSTIN: But if we do not admit this, we shall be liable to fall into foolish opinion, as if it were not the same God who existed in the times of Enoch and all the rest, who neither were circumcised after the flesh, nor observed Sabbaths, nor any other rites, seeing that Moses enjoined such observances... For if there was no need of circumcision before Abraham, or of the observance of Sabbaths, of feasts and sacrifices, before Moses; no more need is there of them now, after that, according to the will of God, Jesus Christ the Son of God has been born without sin, of a virgin sprung from the stock of Abraham. (Dialogue With Trypho the Jew, 150-165 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , vol. 1, page 206)

150AD JUSTIN: "And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration." (First apology of Justin, Weekly Worship of the Christians, Ch 68)

150AD JUSTIN: We are always together with one another. And for all the things with which we are supplied we bless the Maker of all through his Son Jesus Christ and through his Holy Spirit. And on the day called Sunday there is a gathering together in the same place of all who live in a city or a rural district. (There follows an account of a Christian worship service, which is quoted in VII.2.) We all make our assembly in common on the day of the Sun, since it is the first day, on which God changed the darkness and matter and made the world, and Jesus Christ our Savior arose from the dead on the same day. For they crucified him on the day before Saturn's day, and on the day after (which is the day of the Sun the appeared to his apostles and taught his disciples these things. (Apology, 1, 67:1-3, 7; First Apology, 145 AD, Ante-Nicene Fathers , Vol. 1, pg. 186)

190AD CLEMENT OF ALEXANDRIA: He does the commandment according to the Gospel and keeps the Lord's day, whenever he puts away an evil mind . . . glorifying the Lord's resurrection in himself. (Ibid. Vii.xii.76.4)

200AD BARDESANES: Wherever we are, we are all called after the one name of Christ Christians. On one day, the first of the week, we assemble ourselves together (On Fate)
200AD TERTULLIAN: "We solemnize the day after Saturday in contradistinction to those who call this day their Sabbath" (Tertullian's Apology, Ch 16)
200AD TERTULLIAN: It follows, accordingly, that, in so far as the abolition of carnal circumcision and of the old law is demonstrated as having been consummated at its specific times, so also the observance of the Sabbath is demonstrated to have been temporary. (An Answer to the Jews 4:1, Ante-Nicene Fathers Vol. 3, page 155)

220AD ORIGEN "On Sunday none of the actions of the world should be done. If then, you abstain from all the works of this world and keep yourselves free for spiritual things, go to church, listen to the readings and divine homilies, meditate on heavenly things. (Homil. 23 in Numeros 4, PG 12:749)

220 AD Origen "Hence it is not possible that the [day of] rest after the Sabbath should have come into existence from the seventh [day] of our God. On the contrary, it is our Savior who, after the pattern of his own rest, caused us to be made in the likeness of his death, and hence also of his resurrection" (Commentary on John 2:28).

225 AD The Didascalia "The apostles further appointed: On the first day of the week let there be service, and the reading of the Holy Scriptures, and the oblation, because on the first day of the week our Lord rose from the place of the dead, and on the first day of the week he arose upon the world, and on the first day of the week he ascended up to heaven, and on the first day of the week he will appear at last with the angels of heaven" (Didascalia 2).
250AD CYPRIAN: The eight day, that is, the first day after the Sabbath, and the Lord's Day." (Epistle 58, Sec 4)

250 AD IGNATIUS: "If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord's Day, on which also our life has sprung up again by Him and by His death-whom some deny, by which mystery we have obtained faith, and therefore endure, that we may be found the disciples of Jesus Christ, our only Master-how shall we be able to live apart from Him, whose disciples the prophets themselves in the Spirit did wait for Him as their Teacher? .... The prophets were His servants, and foresaw Him by the Spirit, and waited for Him as their Teacher, and expected Him as their Lord and Saviour, saying, "He will come and save us." Let us therefore no longer keep the Sabbath after the Jewish manner, and rejoice in days of idleness; for "he that does not work, let him not eat."

300 AD Victorinus "The sixth day [Friday] is called parasceve, that is to say, the preparation of the kingdom. . . . On this day also, on account of the passion of the Lord Jesus Christ, we make either a station to God or a fast. On the seventh day he rested from all his works, and blessed it, and sanctified it. On the former day we are accustomed to fast rigorously, that on the Lord's day we may go forth to our bread with giving of thanks. And let the parasceve become a rigorous fast, lest we should appear to observe any Sabbath with the Jews . . . which Sabbath he [Christ] in his body abolished" (The Creation of the World).

300AD EUSEBIUS: "They did not, therefore, regard circumcision, nor observe the Sabbath neither do we; ... because such things as these do not belong to Christians" (Ecc. Hist., Book 1, Ch. 4)

Lilstu

I have a tongue. I am a raw vegan too so I have lots of varied fruits though c:

I am also a Vegan. I think it is the healthy way to eat. However I cook my veggies and whole grains.
I wonder why the Bible promotes eating animals when eating plants is so healthy?

KingdomRose

The Gift Of Unknown Tongues

John 14:26
26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
John 15:1-11
1 "I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.
2 "Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.
3 "You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.
4 "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
5 "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
6 "If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.
7 "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.
8 "By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.
9 "As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love.
10 "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.
11 "These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.
John 15:14
14 "You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.
John 16:7-14
7 "Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.
8 "And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 "of sin, because they do not believe in Me;
10 "of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more;
11 "of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
12 "I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
13 "However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
14 "He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you.
Mark 16:15-17
15 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 "He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.
17 "And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues;
Acts 2:1-18
1 Now when the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.
3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven.
6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language.
7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, "Look, are not all these who speak Galileans?
8 "And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born?
9 "Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
10 "Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes,
11 "Cretans and Arabs-- we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God."
12 So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, "Whatever could this mean?"
13 Others mocking said, "They are full of new wine."
14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, "Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words.
15 "For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day.
16 "But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
17 'And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, that I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your young men shall see visions, your old men shall dream dreams.
18 And on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days; and they shall prophesy.
(NKJ)
xxx In the uppor room the Holy Spirit fell on all of them. They all knew the words of Jesus because they had been following Him for years.
And when the Holy Spirit fell on them He started quoting from what Jesus had said. And each one of them understood what the Holy Spirit was quoting to them. Because He quoted to them in their own language. And they started repeating what the Holy Spirit was giving them. They were all amazed because they were hearing the same thing in their own minds. They were all confused because they didnt have the gift of discernment.

The people gathered there, listening to Peter and the others, were "confused" because they knew that the men who spoke to them were not speakers of their own languages. Yet they heard the Good News in their particular language, as God gave the believers the ability to transmit (though they did not know the other languages). The believers weren't confused.

KingdomRose

Just because you speak in tongues
does not mean you have the Holy Spirit in you.

You can say that again. The disciples on Pentecost were granted the ability to speak to everyone gathered in Jerusalem to celebrate that holiday in every person's own language, so that the truth could be quickly realized that those disciples had God's approval. Approval on those early Christ-followers that they were now His chosen people, to spread His truth (which the Jews chose to opt out of). After that initial event of speaking in foreign languages, there was no need for speaking in other languages, esp. after the Apostles began writing down their message to disperse to the various congregations throughout Israel and around the Mediterranean. Paul said that tongues would cease, and they did, 2,000 years ago.