Tongues

clefty

The Law was not given at Pentecost. That is Talmudic Rabbinic myth. The Mosaic Law says no such thing.

Lol...they have their myths too...

It's a better myth than yours that says this harvest festival was destroyed.

Here we see the believers keeping it still...and blessed for it...

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned

I said
Why do you keep using gross exaggerations? No one has destroyed it.

Jdorman

The only movement that advocates and promotes tongues for today was based on a false Gospel. Do the math.

What do you mean? I promote tongues for today and I hold to the Gospel from 1 Cor 15:3-4. Jesus was crucified, buried and rose again to save us from our sins.

TweetyBird

I said
What do you think these verses mean?

3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
(NKJ)

1 Pet 1:23
23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,
(NKJ)

You said: ["Sort of. We are all born with two spirits beside ourselves. The devil and our guardian angel. That is why we must be born again."]

I said: ["The Bible says no such thing"]

I will repeat is again - the Bible says no such thing. We do not have two spirits, there is no devil or guardian angel residing in us, and that is not why we are born again.

TweetyBird

As with the Sabbath...Gentiles were happy to keep the other festivals...those holy days were never in dispute and the record shows that on Sabbaths they crowded the synagogues...collected first fruit offering for the believers in Jerusalem...

Wrongo. The Gentiles did not keep the feasts. They did not collect the first fruit offering for believers in Jerusalem. Do you even know what a first fruit offering is?

The list of four is a list that was in dispute...

Not ever was that list of four in dispute.

Or do you really think the Holy Spirit desired Gentiles keep merely four rules?

That is what the text states - to pacify the Jews. It had nothing to do with new covenant commandments.

Could they still steal, lie, kill, covet...?

Could a Gentile worship another god as long as he didn't eat the meat offered to it?

LOL...hardly...

The four commandments were given to pacify the Jews.

Gentiles wanted to worship as He did...

And that list of four things was not all inclusive as it even left out faith or baptism...

besides not even in the OT was circumcision salvific

Paul continued to keep the festivals and instructed we do the same...copy him as He copied Christ...celebrate the festivals with the unleavened bread of truth and sincerity...

Ironically all four prohibitions are easily found in the OT covenant...so much for its being destroyed...

Yes, circumcision was "salvific". God said they would have life if they kept ALL ALL ALL of the Law/Mosaic Covenant. For example, If they did not get circumcised they were cut off from Israel. Moses did not circumcise his sons, and an Angel of God was sent to kill him. So Moses' wife, Zipporah, circumcised them and called Moses a bloody husband.

The list given in Acts 15 was complete in order to pacify the Jews. We are not discussing new covenant commandments. In fact, almost 15 years later, the identical 4 commandments were listed for the Gentiles in Acts 21. I do not understand why you are adding to it with a lot of conjecture.

The Gentiles went to the synagogues to hear the Gospel preached by the apostles, not Moses. It was not common for Gentiles to go into the synagogues because they were considered unclean. For a time, the Jews were interested in the Gospel of Christ and allowed the Gentiles access. When the unbelieving Jews got offended with that, they kicked the Gentiles and the apostles out.

Paul did not keep the Mosaic Law. Four 14 years he did not go up to Jerusalem for the required feasts, and another time did not go up for 3 years. That is not keeping the Mosaic Law. One offense against the LoM was as if you disobeyed them all.

You are making things up and adding to the Scriptures, concepts that do not appear there.

TweetyBird

They were not keeping it. They were in an upper room waiting, as Jesus commanded them. There is no text in the NT that states Gentiles were keeping the feasts.

Lilstu

As with the Sabbath...Gentiles were happy to keep the other festivals...those holy days were never in dispute and the record shows that on Sabbaths they crowded the synagogues...collected first fruit offering for the believers in Jerusalem...

The list of four is a list that was in dispute...

Or do you really think the Holy Spirit desired Gentiles keep merely four rules?

Could they still steal, lie, kill, covet...?

Could a Gentile worship another god as long as he didn't eat the meat offered to it?

LOL...hardly...

Gentiles wanted to worship as He did...

And that list of four things was not all inclusive as it even left out faith or baptism...

besides not even in the OT was circumcision salvific

Paul continued to keep the festivals and instructed we do the same...copy him as He copied Christ...celebrate the festivals with the unleavened bread of truth and sincerity...

Ironically all four prohibitions are easily found in the OT covenant...so much for its being destroyed...

Good point..remember what was also said at the Jerusalem meeting
For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

TweetyBird

What do you mean? I promote tongues for today and I hold to the Gospel from 1 Cor 15:3-4. Jesus was crucified, buried and rose again to save us from our sins.

Tongues is not part of the Gospel. It was sign to confirm that what the apostles were preaching was the true Gospel of Christ. Speaking in tongues proves nothing. Some of the world's religions has tongue speaking. The Pentecostal Movement, through which speaking in tongues was introduced, was founded on a false Gospel. You can look it up for yourself.

TweetyBird

For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

That has nothing to do with the Gentiles, but because of the Jews who were offended by the Gentiles in the matter of the four commandments.

TweetyBird

Huh?
You are going to have to explain

The Jews were offended because of the Gentile religion - strangulation, fornication, drinking blood, worship and sacrifice to idols. Perhaps they were still doing part of their old religion as Christians not understanding these things were anathema to God. It offended the Jews, so the Holy Spirit inspired the apostles to give these four commandments to ease things up because of the Jews. The Gentiles were overjoyed to comply.

clefty

Exactly! and James made no hint that would change or was changed...

Goys were flooding the synagogues because word had spread a man came back from life...death was defeated!...the last thing they would ask would be what the minimum they had to do in order to be saved as well...

Sabbath remained...not once did anyone say "hey meet us tomorrow, Sunday, at Apollo auditorium and we will tell you how He died, why He died or how and why He was resurrected"...

How else could the great doctors and learned fancy speaking men at the later great councils of the Church claim that they the Church changed the day as it was not found in scripture and thus was a sign of their authority...

Lilstu

Exactly! and James made no hint that would change or was changed...

Goys were flooding the synagogues because word had spread a man came back from life...death was defeated!...the last thing they would ask would be what the minimum they had to do in order to be saved as well...

Sabbath remained...not once did anyone say "hey meet us tomorrow, Sunday, at Apollo auditorium and we will tell you how He died, why He died or how and why He was resurrected"...

How else could the great doctors and learned fancy speaking men at the later great councils of the Church claim that they the Church changed the day as it was not found in scripture and thus was a sign of their authority...

I don't see any relevant Scripture to change the Sabbath to Sunday.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
The Sabbath was made for man. So I don't see any problem if man wants to change it to Wednesday.

Mark 2:27-28
27 And He said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.
28 "Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath."
(NKJ)

We have to many men full of pride, that are straining out gnats to exalt themselves above others.

Matt 23:24
24 "Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
(NKJ)

Rom 14:5-7
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself.
(NKJ)

I think that is why it says don't take a stand one way or the other. Live peaceably with all men. If you keep the Sabbath good. If you don't keep the Sabbath good.

Col 2:16-17
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,
17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.
(NKJ)

Circumcision is what they done in the old testament to join the church. But if God called you while you didn't belong to a church don't go and join one. If He called you while you belonged to a church don't quite one.

1 Cor 7:17-20
17 But as God has distributed to each one, as the Lord has called each one, so let him walk. And so I ordain in all the churches.
18 Was anyone called while circumcised? Let him not become uncircumcised. Was anyone called while uncircumcised? Let him not be circumcised.
19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.
20 Let each one remain in the same calling in which he was called.
(NKJ)

clefty

The Jews were offended because of the Gentile religion - strangulation, fornication, drinking blood, worship and sacrifice to idols. Perhaps they were still doing part of their old religion as Christians not understanding these things were anathema to God. It offended the Jews, so the Holy Spirit inspired the apostles to give these four commandments to ease things up because of the Jews. The Gentiles were overjoyed to comply.

Of course they were overjoyed to comply, they wanted to defeat death too...is why they crowded into the synagogues Sabbath after Sabbath to hear Moses read to them to get the back story and blue prints and play book as to how and why they could do so too...

But then then some Jews demanded they be circumcised which was something not even required of goys in the OT to leave Egypt with the Hebrews and be saved...

clefty

The Sabbath was made for man. So I don't see any problem if man wants to change it to Wednesday.
you might not see a problem...but if Paul would actually have said it was ok for them to choose any day they want even Wednesday...imagine the uproar of the Jews who already falsely accusing him of teaching the law changed.

Instead he was able to claim:

"My accusers did not find me arguing with anyone at the temple, or stirring up a crowd in the synagogues or anywhere else in the city. 13 And they cannot prove to you the charges they are now making against me. 14 However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets, 15 and I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked. 16 So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man."

Mark 2:27-28
27 And He said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.
28 "Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath."
(NKJ)
what relationship would you have with Lord of the Sabbath if you rather chose Wednesday?

Rom 14:5-7
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself.
(NKJ)

I think that is why it says don't take a stand one way or the other. Live peaceably with all men. If you keep the Sabbath good. If you don't keep the Sabbath good.
you think eh? That's an opinion and clearly that passage in context is regarding the issue of choosing a day of fasting not of the Sabbath...no where is Sabbath added except by you

Again imagine Paul relaxing that centuries old Law to any old day...just to keep the peace...why it might have spared his life had he just compromised and kept it nice and friendly...or even kept his mouth shut about it all...

As it was he didn't and was able to argue:

I believe everything that agrees with the Law and the Prophets.

Acts 24: "I was ceremonially clean when they found me in the temple courts doing this."

Acts 25 "Paul made his defense: "I have done nothing wrong against the law of the Jews or against the temple or against Caesar."

Imagine Paul getting thousands of citizens of Rome to worship some superstitious Jewish dude on Caesar's day...

But you would have him be a liar hypocrite and traitor...to both God and god.

Col 2:16-17
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,
17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.
(NKJ)
yup Sabbath is a shadow still of things to come...as Paul confirms in Heb 4:9 which you have ignored...

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
you might not see a problem...but if Paul would actually have said it was ok for them to choose any day they want even Wednesday...imagine the uproar of the Jews who already falsely accusing him of teaching the law changed.

Instead he was able to claim:

"My accusers did not find me arguing with anyone at the temple, or stirring up a crowd in the synagogues or anywhere else in the city. 13 And they cannot prove to you the charges they are now making against me. 14 However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets, 15 and I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked. 16 So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man."

what relationship would you have with Lord of the Sabbath if you rather chose Wednesday?

you think eh? That's an opinion and clearly that passage in context is regarding the issue of choosing a day of fasting not of the Sabbath...no where is Sabbath added except by you

Again imagine Paul relaxing that centuries old Law to any old day...just to keep the peace...why it might have spared his life had he just compromised and kept it nice and friendly...or even kept his mouth shut about it all...

As it was he didn't and was able to argue:

I believe everything that agrees with the Law and the Prophets.

Acts 24: "I was ceremonially clean when they found me in the temple courts doing this."

Acts 25 "Paul made his defense: "I have done nothing wrong against the law of the Jews or against the temple or against Caesar."

Imagine Paul getting thousands of citizens of Rome to worship some superstitious Jewish dude on Caesar's day...

But you would have him by a liar hypocrite and traitor...to both God and god.

yup Sabbath is a shadow still of things to come...as Paul confirms in Heb 4:9 which you have ignored...

I said
There is your problem. You filter everything through your imagination before you believe it.

2 Cor 10:5
5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
(KJV)