toldailytopic: Why doesn't God simply do away with evil?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 25th, 2012 11:48 AM

toldailytopic: Why doesn't God simply do away with evil?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Evil in this world is the result of poor choices made by Adam and Eve. God doesn't just wipe away the result of those poor choices, but He does offer a way out through the Death Burial and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Again He offers a choice,--the choice to follow Jesus or not. God does not predestine anyone to anything before their birth. Th future depends entirely upon the choices we make. The only way we can nullify the spiritual results of evil in our lives is by believing on the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 16:31 - So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

Real Sorceror

Evil in this world is the result of poor choices made by Adam and Eve. God doesn't just wipe away the result of those poor choices, but He does offer a way out through the Death Burial and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Again He offers a choice,--the choice to follow Jesus or not. God does not predestine anyone to anything before their birth. Th future depends entirely upon the choices we make. The only way we can nullify the spiritual results of evil in our lives is by believing on the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 16:31 - So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
Evil existed prior to the creation of man. Lucifer fell before Adam and Eve.

surrender

God will do away with evil. As to why He's waiting so long, I'm not sure. I don't think we're told outside of Peter saying He's patient and wants all men to repent so they won't perish (2 Peter 3:9).

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, going about this as a parent, if I had the choice to snap my fingers, sprinkle magic dust, blink my eyes, whatever, so that my child would never do evil, I don't think that would really be my child. I mean he might be my child but he wouldn't be his honest self, knowing right from wrong.

I want my baby to know that I don't want him to get too close to touch the flame because it will hurt him so that's why I slap his hand if he gets close to it, though he doesn't understand at the time and it might hurt his feelings, my safety for him far outweighs what he'll understand later.

I want my child to know that lying to me is going to cause him severe consequences as much as my flesh would love to just overlook it. If I do that, no telling what lies he might tell when he's older to get out of whatever trouble he's into.

I want him to love me and speak to me in a respectful manner so that when he gets out on his own and gets his own job, they will, in return respect him for his manners and he will have a better chance of advancing in his current job or get a better one, especially for the family he will have one day, not to mention this will help him to develop better relationships with others. Nobody can have too many good relationships with others.

tomlapalm

Evil is not a challenge to God. It exist because He allows it. In our Free Will we make evil choices. He allows you and me to Exist and thus evil. When we all have a chance to repent, He will not be so longsuffering.

Brother Vinny

Dramatic conflict. God is rapt in the story of redemption. He marvels every time one of us has faith to believe. If He took away evil, there'd be no conflict, and a story without conflict is boring. God won't let Himself be bored.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Because we have free will, and He allows us to see the results of its use and it enables us to recognize our ways are not His and our need for a Savior.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Do you really seek the biblical answer, or is this just an Open Theist gripe?

Nang

2 Peter 3:9

9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us,[a] not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
2 Peter 3:9

9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us,[a] not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

So your belief is that a universal salvation must occur before God eliminates evil, and that a universal salvation is God's means to eliminating evil?

Will that include all human beings since the beginning of time? Judas, and Hitler included?

Can you provide scriptural proof that universal salvation of all human beings is the criteria for God ending evil and wickedness?

That God showing grace to these wicked monsters, is what we are all depending upon for the Lord's return?

Nang