toldailytopic: Why are the vast majority of acts of terrorism performed by Muslims? W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 10th, 2010 10:33 AM

toldailytopic: Why are the vast majority of acts of terrorism performed by Muslims? Why the connection?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

bybee

Well

Well

toldailytopic: Why are the vast majority of acts of terrorism performed by Muslims? Why the connection?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Apparently the Koran either commands violence, condones violence or rewards violence.
The idea of worldwide jihad to achieve Islamic dominance in the world is a dominant theme in Islam.
We have documented instances of Islamic clergy preaching sedition from their pulpits here in America.
The voices of Islamic moderation must be speaking in a subliminal murmur because they do not appear to be a deterrent to the ever escalating violence.
bybee

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned

Poverty (which equals desperation, because people are willing to listen to and except anything when desperate), lack of education, and Wahhabism.

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) did not teach this. These are new schools of thought in Islam. Muhammad said: Hurt no one so that no one may hurt you.
—Muhammad(pbuh), The Farewell Sermon

[/B]
Wahhabism

The origins of modern Islamism trace back to the beginnings of the Wahhabi movement in the early eighteenth century.

Wahhabism was a puritanical uprising based on reinterpreting written Qur’anic law without the enlightened support of expertise embodied in the Qur’an and the Hadiths, known as the Sunna. Wahhabis pay lip service to adherence to the Sunna, but in reality reshape it according to their ideology. Many prophetic sayings which constitute the immediate source of Sunna are rejected by means of captious arguments, as soon as they result in tenets incompatible with Wahhabism. When Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al Wahhab (the eponym of Wahhabism) started preaching, the mufti of Medina declared Ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhab’s belief a heresy and formally excommunicated him by issuing a fatwa, the text of which said:

"This man is leading the ignoramuses of the present age to a heretical path. He is trying to extinguish Allah’s light, but Allah will not permit His light to be extinguished, in spite of the opposition of polytheists, and will enlighten every place with the light of the followers of Sunna."

Take a stand against Wahhabism.

Muslims united against Wahhabism.

They don't care, they'd kill me too, it's not just you. Muslims as a whole suffer from the extremist, they'll strap a bomb on a Muslim too if they so feel.

What they do is not a Quran teaching. Suicide is forbidden in the Quran, and so is the taking of innocent lives. The Quran makes it clear that you will be band for eternity for both. As the info I provided explains, Wahhabi is a re-writing of Islam, based on teachings of a crazy 18th century loony named Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al Wahhab

Aimiel

All the fools demonstrating worldwide over a few cartoons (drawn by a Muslim, by the way) shows us how widespread violence is within Isalm. Heaven help good men everywhere, should anything really bad actually happen to Muslims, worldwide.

WizardofOz

Poverty (which equals desperation, because people are willing to listen to and except anything when desperate), lack of education, and Wahhabism.

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) did not teach this. These are new schools of thought in Islam. Muhammad said: Hurt no one so that no one may hurt you.
—Muhammad(pbuh), The Farewell Sermon

:first:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How many Muslims were in the IRA? :plain:

Depends on where and when you live then as to what body seems hell bent on violence.

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
All the fools demonstrating worldwide over a few cartoons (drawn by a Muslim, by the way) shows us how widespread violence is within Isalm. Heaven help good men everywhere, should anything really bad actually happen to Muslims, worldwide.

Yes, a Muslim can be an extremist loon too, just like a member of any religion, including Christianity. But that does not mean they represent the teachings of Islam, just as Westboro and Phelpes, or David Koresh didn't represent Chrisitanity.

Muslims have no favor with the extremist Wahhabis, they'll kill us too, just like they have many for preaching against them.

If you want to know what the difference is, then you have to research and read about even the things the Muslim community complains about and condemns.

I was a bit in awh for a minute. Aimiel said "heaven help Muslims if anything bad happens to them' My God, Im about to go by a lotto ticket and a "hell pop" because hell has surely frozen over.

pinching myself

Uhhh, thanks for the concern Aimiel. Looking around waiting for Aimiel to jump out and be like "SIKE"

J/K

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes, a Muslim can be an extremist loon too, just like a member of any religion, including Christianity. But that does not mean they represent the teachings of Islam, just as Westboro and Phelpes, or David Koresh didn't represent Chrisitanity.
That's not really the question. Yes, anyone can be a loon that's for sure.

But for the last 20 years or so, overwhelmingly... acts of terrorism are done by those associated with Islam. Why is that so?

What is it about Islam that seems to breed terrorism?

And a secondary question might be... why don't we here more condemnation of these terrorist acts from the leaders of the Islamic community?

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
That's not really the question. Yes, anyone can be a loon that's for sure.

But for the last 20 years or so, overwhelmingly... acts of terrorism are done by those associated with Islam. Why is that so?

What is it about Islam that seems to breed terrorism?

And a secondary question might be... why don't we here more condemnation of these terrorist acts from the leaders of the Islamic community?

Growth in Wahhabism.

Muslims do speak out, they come out all the time, but it's not publicized in western media as it is on Islamic TV. It is a concern for us, and it also threatens Muslims as a whole.

Acts of terrorism would be associated with those who are Islamic Wahhabi's, not Islam in general as to say it's associated with Ismaic teachings because it is not.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Dude.. that's so 1970.
And how did Islam look then? :think: Any new verses added to the Koran between then and now? :poly:
The topic could have been, why were things the way the were in the 70's?
I would have so killed that one. :thumb:
But I chose to discuss things that ARE CURRENTLY HAPPENING. :) It just seems more relevant for some reason.
Okay...then I'd say it isn't the Muslim/Islam now any more than it was the Catholic/Catholicism then. It's what some people, fanatical and distorted in their understanding, are willing to do in the name of that distortion.

:cheers:

bybee

There are 109 verses in the Qur'an which call Muslims to war with non-believers. Yhere are commands such as "chop off heads and fingers and kill infidels wherever they may be hiding. Muslims who do not join the fight are called hypocrites and warned that Allah will send them to Hell if they do not join the slaughter".
Go on wiki and enter "violence in the Qur'an". There is an article which goes through the verses which advocate violence against the non-believer.
I agree, there are others who are also extremely violent. But that is another topic. This topic is germaine today.
To me the suicide bombers are evidence that we must not underestimate these people.
They call us, Christians, "polytheists". Therefore we are infidels and must be destroyed.
I'd like to live in peace with Muslims. I'd like to feel assured that I won't be forcibly converted or murdered if I refuse to convert.
bybee

The Berean

Growth in Wahhabism.

Muslims do speak out, they come out all the time, but it's not publicized in western media as it is on Islamic TV. It is a concern for us, and it also threatens Muslims as a whole.

Acts of terrorism would be associated with those who are Islamic Wahhabi's, not Islam in general as to say it's associated with Ismaic teachings because it is not.

A few months ago I watched a documentary on the many aspects and faces of Islam. I was surprised to see how many different ways Muslims practice their faith. I forgot in what country this was in, the documentary showed a branch of Islam that was very mystical. It seemed very very similar to perhaps Charismatic Christianity with an emphasis on worship. It was quite interesting. The documentary also covered Wahhabism and how few Muslims actually follow it. As discussed by non-Wahhabist Muslims in the documentary the problem is that Wahhabism is what the majority of what Saudi Arabian Muslims practice and they have the money and resources to spread Wahhabism around the world through the building of religious schools and by teaching only Wahhabism at these schools. Anger and disgust with Wahhabism was quite evident in the faces of some of the non-Wahhabist Muslim scholars that were interviewed for the documentary.

bybee

The point?

The point?

And how did Islam look then? :think: Any new verses added to the Koran between then and now? :poly:

I would have so killed that one. :thumb:

Okay...then I'd say it isn't the Muslim/Islam now any more than it was the Catholic/Catholicism then. It's what some people, fanatical and distorted in their understanding, are willing to do in the name of that distortion.

:cheers:

TH, I am of Irish/English heritage. I detested the method's of the Irish Republican Army as did most Irish Catholics of the time.
They had a specific fight with a specific target. It was not claimed to be biblical. It was a political fight for equality by a specific people in their own land against the tyranny of occupiers of that land.
I believe that most Muslims would prefer to live in peace and wouldn't have a problem with whatever religion their neighbors espouse. But the radicals are globally pervasive and unrelenting. We cannot afford to ignore their avowed agenda of world domination.

Yes, there is violence in the Old Testament. God was working His Covenant out with His chosen people. He wished to seat them in a specific plot of ground so that they could become a priestly people through whom could come the Messiah for the whole world. The people were not enjoined to slaughter their own children through violence toward their enemies.(referencing the strapping of bombs on young Muslims and sending them to kill and die amongst innocent civilians). They were not enjoined to convert others to their beliefs through threats of death.
I don't have an understanding of violence. It has never solved a problem in this world throughout history.
I do understand vigilant self-defense.
The Qur'an contains at least 109 verses which call Muslims to war with non-believers. Obviously, the call is being heeded today. bybee

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
There are 109 verses in the Qur'an which call Muslims to war with non-believers. Yhere are commands such as "chop off heads and fingers and kill infidels wherever they may be hiding. Muslims who do not join the fight are called hypocrites and warned that Allah will send them to Hell if they do not join the slaughter".
Go on wiki and enter "violence in the Qur'an". There is an article which goes through the verses which advocate violence against the non-believer.
I agree, there are others who are also extremely violent. But that is another topic. This topic is germaine today.
To me the suicide bombers are evidence that we must not underestimate these people.
They call us, Christians, "polytheists". Therefore we are infidels and must be destroyed.
I'd like to live in peace with Muslims. I'd like to feel assured that I won't be forcibly converted or murdered if I refuse to convert.
bybee

Yep, I don't deny that, the Quran was given at a time when the Prophet had to fight. And there were instructions for war, and when you read the entire Quran those instructions had to do with the conflicts he was in and the types of people who he was at war with. Has nothing to do with now. It never instructed those things for just merely the fact that someone had different beliefs. It tells Muslims to respect the people of the book.

If you want to know why it says what it says and when it says it, then you have to read the book, not pick a verse and say, "ah ha, you see" that is not the way, and gives misunderstanding.

Muhammad was born into a violent culture, and fighting was necessary.

If you wanna know what kind of man Muhammad was, then read his farewell speech.

To say that the Quran teaches Muslims to suicide bomb and be terrorist, is to say that I believe in it and do it, and that is not true, because I follow the Quran. Wahhabism is what you should be afraid of bybee, not Islam.

bybee

With Sadness

With Sadness

Yep, I don't deny that, the Quran was given at a time when the Prophet had to fight. And there were instructions for war, and when you read the entire Quran those instructions had to do with the conflicts he was in and the types of people who he was at war with. Has nothing to do with now. It never instructed those things for just merely the fact that someone had different beliefs. It tells Muslims to respect the people of the book.

If you want to know why it says what it says and when it says it, then you have to read the book, not pick a verse and say, "ah ha, you see" that is not the way, and gives misunderstanding.

Muhammad was born into a violent culture, and fighting was necessary.

If you wanna know what kind of man Muhammad was, then read his farewell speech.

To say that the Quran teaches Muslims to suicide bomb and be terrorist, is to say that I believe in it and do it, and that is not true, because I follow the Quran. Wahhabism is what you should be afraid of bybee, not Islam.

I am not afraid of either one. Nor do I have a quarrel with Muslims practicing their own religion in peace.
The fact remains that there is world-wide violence being perpetrated in the name of Allah by unscrupulous, ruthless, power mad men who call themselves Muslim.
I have seen many Muslims post on this web page about the greed and arrogance of American capitalists as though all Americans were somehow guilty.
I am afraid that all of us who really are temperate in our habits and our affections are the losers in the ongoing lust for power which seems to control so many men who could have been good men, doing God's will in society.
God will judge each of us in the fulness of time.
Again I say, I'm glad you are here posting on this web site because you seem to be a man of good will. Perhaps all we have is that good men and women raise their voices for the rights of all to live in peace and freedom. bybee

Aimiel

Again I say, I'm glad you are here posting on this web site because you seem to be a man of good will. Perhaps all we have is that good men and women raise their voices for the rights of all to live in peace and freedom. bybee
Amen and amen. :thumb:

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
A few months ago I watched a documentary on the many aspects and faces of Islam. I was surprised to see how many different ways Muslims practice their faith. I forgot in what country this was in, the documentary showed a branch of Islam that was very mystical. It seemed very very similar to perhaps Charismatic Christianity with an emphasis on worship. It was quite interesting. The documentary also covered Wahhabism and how few Muslims actually follow it. As discussed by non-Wahhabist Muslims in the documentary the problem is that Wahhabism is what the majority of what Saudi Arabian Muslims practice and they have the money and resources to spread Wahhabism around the world through the building of religious schools and by teaching only Wahhabism at these schools. Anger and disgust with Wahhabism was quite evident in the faces of some of the non-Wahhabist Muslim scholars that were interviewed for the documentary.

Yes, the Muslims who practice Mysticism are called Sufi's. Suffi's got their influence from Benzintyne Christianity. There practice is very interesting, because they still fall in line with the Quran teachings.

And yes, the Saudi government uses Wahhabism. It is true they use their wealth to spread it.

The documentary was right about Muslims being disgusted about Wahhabism.

America supports it though, just ask what grade oil your gasoline uses: Wahhabi Premium it's the Bomb--literally:smokie:

America has the monopoly on Saudi oil contracts and distribution, it's a deal to bomb to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.