toldailytopic: Who is to blame in the Colorado movie theater shooting?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

GUN CONTROL: A mad man walks into a crowded theater and is about to slaughter as many people as he possibly can and 5 citizens in the theater with permits to open carry blast him dead before he gets the chance to carry out his plans... That's gun control...any questions?

30943310151098302470126.jpg

Source

SilenceInMotion

BANNED
Banned

:thumb:

The reason Democrats are against guns is because for a government or institution to have control over a given society, society must be limited in power.
The consequences of this is clearly seen in events such as the Colorado shooting. A group of people completely defenseless against a madman.

alwight

Oh I feel a bit crazy today, I'll just go along to the local gun mart and get plenty of guns and ammo to kill people with...no wait I can't, I live in England. :doh:

SilenceInMotion

BANNED
Banned
Oh I feel a bit crazy today, I'll just go along to the local gun mart and get plenty of guns and ammo to kill people with...no wait I can't, I live in England. :doh:

America is a nation of rebels. It was founded on high treason and is the Protestant capitol of the world.
As such, it's society reflects the image. It simply works better for citizens of a country such as that to arm their selves.

alwight

America is a nation of rebels. It was founded on high treason and is the Protestant capitol of the world.
As such, it's society reflects the image. It simply works better for citizens of a country such as that to arm their selves.
I think Americans are rather stuck with their gun culture, it might perhaps take a generation to change even if there was a will.
If I lived in Colorado I would probably want to own a gun myself, but I don't here.

SilenceInMotion

BANNED
Banned
I think Americans are rather stuck with their gun culture, it might perhaps take a generation to change even if there was a will.
If I lived in Colorado I would probably want to own a gun myself, but I don't here.

Well England, and most other 1st world countries for that matter, are far more cultured. Society in America is simply chopped and screwed, and so the current *falling backwards* of the conservative brand is, at least temporarily, doing more harm then good.
Because America was always generally fixated on tooth and nail cowboy freedom, limiting such is an endeavor that doesn't roll over too well with it's social workings.
That's why for over the past 50-60 years or so, America has had a gargantuan issue both 'crazies' like the Columbine shooting, DC sniper, etc. along with more permanent things like inner city gangs.

alwight

Well England, and most other 1st world countries for that matter, are far more cultured. Society in America is simply chopped and screwed, and so the current *falling backwards* of the conservative brand is, at least temporarily, doing more harm then good.
Because America was always generally fixated on tooth and nail cowboy freedom, limiting such is an endeavor that doesn't roll over too well with it's social workings.
That's why for over the past 50-60 years or so, America has had a gargantuan issue both 'crazies' like the Columbine shooting, DC sniper, etc. along with more permanent things like inner city gangs.
You seem to be perhaps a "[Wo]man of mystery" going by the other thread, have we talked before? :think:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

The reason Democrats are against guns is because for a government or institution to have control over a given society, society must be limited in power.
The consequences of this is clearly seen in events such as the Colorado shooting. A group of people completely defenseless against a madman.

This poor kid never had a chance....Boy, talk about winning the Cosmic "Screw-You Lottery"...Twice. :sigh:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...ad-survived-toronto-mall-shooting-last-month/

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

I'm sure that's what happened here. :plain:

Shadowbane

I do wonder if in fact the availability of guns allowed this to happen. Its been a long time since something like this happened in England, and when it does, its always on a much smaller scale

alwight

I do wonder if in fact the availability of guns allowed this to happen. Its been a long time since something like this happened in England, and when it does, its always on a much smaller scale
Crazies will use what's ever to hand it seems rather like in a video game perhaps?
To own a gun here in the UK you need a licence which didn't stop Thomas Hamilton and the Dunblane killings who had six licences back in 1996.

fool

Hall of Fame
And what do many Americans think is the solution to this enormous discrepancy in gun deaths? MORE GUNS!

I'm just sayin'

Put more accuratly I think that the solution to being shot at is to shoot back.
It's right up there with duck and run.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
We have roughly 350 million people in the U.S., Australia has roughly 35 million. So, if we compensate for the difference in population, we are killing 1,000 times more of our people than they are killing of theirs. And when you equalize the numbers for all those other countries, you get about the same result.

And what do many Americans think is the solution to this enormous discrepancy in gun deaths? MORE GUNS!

I'm just sayin'
This is poorly reasoned in my mind. Guns don't cause gun deaths. A gun is an assembly of metal and wood components that does nothing at all until somebody picks it up. Thus, gun deaths are the result of the intentions of the person holding the gun.

In some countries such as Switzerland and Israel, people are required t serve in the army and when discharged, they MUST take their guns with them yet their rate of gun related crimes is much lower. A gun is a gun so something else must be at work here.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The shooter.

No question.

Having said that...

Obama is already delighted at the tragedy. He hopes this will forward his agenda to outlaw handguns and other weapons.

Come on, VC. That's like suggesting fundamentalist preachers would rejoice over an elevated AIDs rate. :nono:

When did it become impossible to disagree, fundamentally, on important issues, without being a monster? And I support the NRA, by the way.

Right. Because if there had been a packed theater of folks carrying guns once those gas canisters rolled in and the shooting began you just know fewer people would have died...

A theater filled with trained soldiers...maybe.

And a great many democrats aren't against gun ownership.

I suppose I will address this, since it was obviously aimed at me (my own words being used).

I ask again. WHAT LAWS COULD HAVE POSSIBLY BEEN PASSED that would have prevented this terrible tragedy?
None. This isn't about guns. This is about crazy and evil.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well England, and most other 1st world countries for that matter, are far more cultured. Society in America is simply chopped and screwed, and so the current *falling backwards* of the conservative brand is, at least temporarily, doing more harm then good. Because America was always generally fixated on tooth and nail cowboy freedom, limiting such is an endeavor that doesn't roll over too well with it's social workings. That's why for over the past 50-60 years or so, America has had a gargantuan issue both 'crazies' like the Columbine shooting, DC sniper, etc. along with more permanent things like inner city gangs.

Jesse James Gang's last bank job in Northfield Minnesota stopped by citizens with guns, lots of guns!

After Clell’s first shot, Cole and he mounted their respective horses and began charging up and down the streets, yelling “Get in! Get in!” and shooting their guns in the sky, through windows, and over people’s head. Jim, Bill, and Charlie, on the bridge, heard Clell’s first shot as well and quickly rode to join the foray, using exactly the same guerrilla tactics as Cole and Clell were using. At first, it seemed that the gang was actually overtaking the citizens, but the situation quickly flipped. The citizens ran to their homes or places of business to grab their derringers, pistols, shotguns, and rifles. J. S. Allen ran to his hardware/gun store and began loading and handing out whatever guns he could to every passerby near his store. The citizens then all ran to various places in town, including rooftops, porches, windows, sidewalks, and more. They began randomly opening fire on the five outlaws. In a matter of seconds, Division Street became a shooting gallery, with bullets flying and zipping in every direction from every possible location. The owner of the other hardware/gun store in town, Anselm R. Manning, ran to his store in hopes of procuring a formidable weapon. What he chose to use was his personal breech-loading rifle. With this gun and pockets full of cartridges, he ran to the street, searching for a target. Henry Wheeler, meanwhile, ran to the Dampier Hotel, located across the street from the bank. He ran to the top-story and found an old Army carbine and three slugs. He grabbed the gun, loaded it, and placed himself in a strategic position in one of the upper-story windows overlooking the siege.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/jamesyoungergang/northfield.html

When the good guys have guns the bad guys run.

--Dave