toldailytopic: Who is to blame in the Colorado movie theater shooting?

Alate_One

Who is responsible for the shooting?

Using Obama logic the shooter didn't do it.

Clearly the shooter used roads and other resources to get to the theater. The shooter didn't build the gun and likely didn't make the bullets. Therefore according to Obama the shooter didn't really do it.

The point that was made in that clip is that we are all connected and supported by our society, most of the things we do are made possible by others and we build on the accomplishments of others, generation after generation.

That doesn't mean we don't have responsibility for our actions as well. All Obama is saying is trying to balance the "I did everything for myself and by myself" mentality.

In this case it takes only one person to actually pull the trigger on a group of movie goers. Whatever else may have led up to that point is still important, since it couldn't have happened without the gun and ammunition, but ultimate responsibility is quite clear.

Using Romney logic the shooter may have been guilty of more murders/casualties, the cinema, DC comics, Warner Bros, etc. Because corporations are people. :chuckle:

drbrumley

The point that was made in that clip is that we are all connected and supported by our society, most of the things we do are made possible by others and we build on the accomplishments of others, generation after generation.

That doesn't mean we don't have responsibility for our actions as well. All Obama is saying is trying to balance the "I did everything for myself and by myself" mentality.

In this case it takes only one person to actually pull the trigger on a group of movie goers. Whatever else may have led up to that point is still important, since it couldn't have happened without the gun and ammunition, but ultimate responsibility is quite clear.

Using Romney logic the shooter may have been guilty of more murders/casualties, the cinema, DC comics, Warner Bros, etc. Because corporations are people. :chuckle:

Talk about being convoluted!

Alate_One

Wellll...The question remains how far does one go with that. Such a philosophy could lead to banning everything from the absurd (banning red dot sights) to putting us back to muzzle loaders. :idunno:
I can see the slippery slope argument but we already have some weapons that are illegal for civilians to own. The only question is where do you draw that line? I think it's something that needs to be discussed rationally without asserting extremes like you outline are going to happen.

:think: I can't say that I disagree fully here but alot of the problem comes more from lax enforcement rather than the lack of laws themselves (I'm talking in general here...I know the last two massacres were done with legally obtained weapons...probably more). It seems to me the real problem at this stage is identifying who the actual crazy people are who should not get them.
And that is probably the bigger issue, finding the crazy people. In general I agree with you on laws though I am not sure the "assault weapons ban" at least should not be back in place.

The MMPI, while a useful screening tool for a job, is not something I would like to see used to limit Constitutional Rights (Besides...for me it goes beyond the paper...I consider the right of self defense to be a fundamental human right.)
But you'd say the same thing about the right to life I'm assuming, so it's a double edged sword . . .

If he is certifiable why hasn't he been certified?
Maybe he has, but he bought guns in Arizona and he's got the pictures to prove it. He told me the meds he's on which are pretty intense.

I'd be willing to bet that weapon was not legally obtained. Something like that is usually an act of retribution or mistaken identity. Who knows...maybe the poor guy cut some gang banger off in traffic and didn't even know it. :sigh:
Pretty sure it wasn't, as I recall the police were familiar with that particular weapon because it had been used at other crime scenes. Guessing it was the guy's girlfriend that was in trouble and he just happened to get in the way.

:nono: I've got no answer to the allegation that we have a bad situation here...we do. The problem I keep bumping into is that anything meaningful we do will have the added effect of hindering the capability of those who use them responsibly and for the right reasons long before if ever effects a crazy or a criminal. That is a real sticking point for me.
It is a difficult issue, I don't disagree. Other parts of the world restrict firearms much more than we do, I just don't see it happening here to that extent.

The question is how do we have guns and keep ourselves safe? I just wish we could have a rational conversation about it. Maybe eventually we'll come up with a technological solution.

LOL...Grandpa sound like a man after my own heart. :chuckle:
Probably. That's my Dad. :)

And he's a trustworthy gun owner, as is most of my family. My mother, by contrast, wouldn't let me keep an unloaded BB gun in the house . . . :eek:

PureX

When society teaches there is no such thing as right and wrong (particularly in a person's behavior), the blame starts to shift away from the perpetrator and toward the stimulant that encouraged the wrongdoing... Without actually saying it, that teaches people (especially young people) that it's ok to act out because it's not their fault anyway...

Josh
That's nonsense. Kids act out. No one is teaching them to do it, it's just their natural response when frightened of confused. Society is not teaching that there is no such thing as right or wrong, and no one I've ever met believes that there isn't. Everyone I've ever met understands that there is right and wrong (except maybe for a few psychopaths here and there).

Sadly, what our culture IS teaching kids, though, is that it's OK to use violence to resolve their problems with other people. And so they grow up to become adults who believe that violence is the way to resolve their problems with other people. And so many of them do.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
...[H]earing of horror stories like this one in Colorado, I am realizing how important it is for me now to take advantage of the right I have to bear arms. For Safety.
Good (Lk 22:36).

...The first thing I thought of when I heard this story on the news this morning was: "If there had been just 1 person in the audience with a concealed carry license, who is knowledgeable about operating a firearm and knowledgeable about self-defense, some lives could have been saved." A bulletproof vest doesn't protect a person's head.
That's right (Lk 11:21).

[MichelleMulkin.com] "Predictably, Nanny NYC Michael Bloomberg has already called for more gun control. So has Piers Morgan...

Many Coloradans will remember that the mass shooting in Colorado Springs at New Life Church in 2007 was stopped by a citizen hero, Jeanne Assam, because she was armed and shot back — saving hundrds of lives.

Let me repeat that for the gun control zealots: Armed Colorado citizens have SAVED lives in mass shootings. The knee-jerk gun-grabbers have no shame. And no clue..." Full text: Movie Theater Shooting in Aurora

Last edited:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's nonsense. Kids act out. No one is teaching them to do it, it's just their natural response when frightened of confused. Society is not teaching that there is no such thing as right or wrong, and no one I've ever met believes that there isn't. Everyone I've ever met understands that there is right and wrong (except maybe for a few psychopaths here and there).

Sadly, what our culture IS teaching kids, though, is that it's OK to use violence to resolve their problems with other people. And so they grow up to become adults who believe that violence is the way to resolve their problems with other people. And so many of them do.

What problem do you think he was trying to solve be shooting up a crowd of anonymous strangers?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The shooter.

No question.

Having said that...

Obama is already delighted at the tragedy. He hopes this will forward his agenda to outlaw handguns and other weapons.

It may sound harsh to say that, but I have NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER that this latest death toll will become a tool for him and his anti-Constitutional agenda.

Let me ask you...what law could lawmakers possibly have passed against handguns that would have prevented this?
I don't doubt that gun-control advocates will point to this as evidence for more restrictive laws. It's the nature of the game. Politicians from all sides take advantage of situations. But I think it's pretty low that you are already coming out and bashing Obama like this. Essentially saying that he doesn't care an ounce that people have died and he's just joyful that he might be able to get a new law passed. :down: At least give it a few days. :nono:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 20th, 2012 08:58 AM

Final and ultimate blame goes to the shooter and nothing will change that. Did other things lead up to it? :idunno: Hard to say at this point.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
While I am by no means a liberal Knight, a violent culture (i.e. violent movies, video games and violent lyrics in so-called music) begets a violent society.

If that were true why is it that most people who play video games and listen to violent music do not turn out to be murderers?

My post was not intended to put the blame behind our violence ridden society soley on the entertainment industry, as there as many factors (abortion being one them) that have desensitized society's view of violence. (The average person driving by an accident scene isn't slowing down so that emergency personnel aren't in harms way, they're slowing down to see if there are any mangled bodies).

Look, I'm not saying that there are not factors that might help a person go over the edge, or possibly give them ideas for when they do go over the edge. All I am saying is ultimately the blame lies with perpetrator.

Nor am I taking an ounce of responsibility away from the cold blooded murderer; he should be given a fair trial and swiftly executed.

What I am saying is that when I read the news this morning of the shooting, I didn't so much as wince, as these mass murders are happening monthly if not weekly here in the US, as it's become part of our culture, the culture of death and a dying nation.

You could place 100 random people in front of a 24 hour video depicting all sorts of crimes and it's possible (even likely) that none of them would ever commit a heinous crime.

That would depend on the upbringing of those 100 people. Let's say that they were 100 impressionable youths:

From the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry

"Children and Video Games: Playing with Violence

March 2011

Video gaming (playing video games) has become a popular activity for people of all ages. Many children and adolescents spend large amounts of time playing them. Video gaming is a multibillion-dollar industry – bringing in more money than movies and DVDs. Video games have become very sophisticated and realistic. Some games connect to the Internet, which can allow children and adolescents to play online with unknown adults and peers.

While some games have educational content, many of the most popular games emphasize negative themes and promote:

•the killing of people or animals
•the use and abuse of drugs and alcohol
•criminal behavior, disrespect for authority and the law
•sexual exploitation and violence toward women
•racial, sexual, and gender stereotypes
•foul language, obscenities, and obscene gestures
There is growing research on the effects of videogames on children. Some video games may promote learning, problem solving and help with the development of fine motor skills and coordination. However, there are concerns about the effect of violent video games on young people who play videogames excessively.

Studies of children exposed to violence have shown that they can become: “immune” or numb to the horror of violence, imitate the violence they see, and show more aggressive behavior with greater exposure to violence. Some children accept violence as a way to handle problems. Studies have also shown that the more realistic and repeated the exposure to violence, the greater the impact on children. In addition, children with emotional, behavioral and learning problems may be more influenced by violent images.

Children and adolescents can become overly involved and even obsessed with videogames. Spending large amounts of time playing these games can create problems and lead to:

•poor social skills
•time away from family time, school-work, and other hobbies
•lower grades and reading less
•exercising less, and becoming overweight
aggressive thoughts and behaviors..."
http://aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/children_and_video_games_playing_with_violence

My point is, no matter what the subject is, be it sports, food or in this case violent entertainment: we're heavily influenced by what goes into our minds.

alwight

Elvolution and "progressive" thinking means going backwards and sticking your head in the sand to avoid reality.

Interesting.

Do you think for the whole or only yourself?

:plain:
I think Wile thinks so, but since I'm evolved slime what do I know?:plain:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
This oughta tick off a few atheists (the truth always does):

Louie Gohmert: Aurora Shootings Result Of 'Ongoing Attacks On Judeo-Christian Beliefs'

"Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) said Friday that the shootings that took place in an Aurora, Colo. movie theater hours earlier were a result of "ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs" and questioned why nobody else in the theater had a gun to take down the shooter.

During a radio interview on The Heritage Foundation's "Istook Live!" show, Gohmert was asked why he believes such senseless acts of violence take place. Gohmert responded by talking about the weakening of Christian values in the country.

"You know what really gets me, as a Christian, is to see the ongoing attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs, and then some senseless crazy act of terror like this takes place," Gohmert said.

"Some of us happen to believe that when our founders talked about guarding our virtue and freedom, that that was important," he said. "Whether it's John Adams saying our Constitution was made only for moral and religious people ... Ben Franklin, only a virtuous people are capable of freedom, as nations become corrupt and vicious they have more need of masters ... We have been at war with the very pillars, the very foundation of this country.

Ernest Istook, the host of the show and a former Oklahoma congressman, jumped in to clarify that nobody knows the motivation of the alleged Aurora gunman. Gohmert said that may be true, but suggested the shootings were still "a terrorist act" that could have been avoided if the country placed a higher value on God.

"People say ... where was God in all of this?" Gohmert said. "We've threatened high school graduation participations, if they use God's name, they're going to be jailed ... I mean that kind of stuff. Where was God? What have we done with God? We don't want him around. I kind of like his protective hand being present."

Gohmert also said the tragedy could have been lessened if someone else in the movie theater had been carrying a gun and took down the lone shooter. Istook noted that Colorado laws allow people to carry concealed guns.

"It does make me wonder, with all those people in the theater, was there nobody that was carrying a gun that could have stopped this guy more quickly?" he asked."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...ootings_n_1689099.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 20th, 2012 08:58 AM

Colorado-Movie-Theater-shooting-suspect.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
The murderer of course.