toldailytopic: Which rock band was/is the greatest of all time?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 14th, 2013 10:25 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I thought Styx was great and the Eagles had a broad range of hits. ELO was fun but I think the greatest of all has to be...

Queen

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

I don't think there is an answer to that question beyond opinion.

Some bands have members who are skilled and talented at what they do, and more so than other members of the same band.

There are some great guitarists out there and some great lyricists, but not always in the same band.

Sometimes two or more are in the same band, such as with Sixpence None the Richer; with a great vocalist and a great lyricist.

Until recently Flyleaf was my favorite, and the only reason I can't say whether or not the remain so is because Lacey left the band and I have yet to hear the new girl.

I really like Third Day, too.

But I still think the best drummer in my playlist is Mark Nash from PFR.

Trace Bundy is one of the best guitarists I've ever heard.

But as for one band full of talent and skill that elevates them above all the rest, :idunno:.

The Beatles were probably the most influential.

Buzzword

I thought Styx was great and the Eagles had a broad range of hits. ELO was fun but I think the greatest of all has to be...

Queen

Yup.

Though I think a toss-up overall between Freddie and Zeppelin.

Queen wins for most variety of sound.
Until I sat down and listened to the entire Platinum Greatest Hits, I honestly thought that "Another One Bites the Dust" and "We Are the Champions" were two different bands.
To say nothing of "Bohemian Rhapsody".
Guess having all four band members as great songwriters helps.

Zeppelin wins for greatest improvisation within the "rock" sound.
My wife loves Led, but is also studying to become a music teacher, and she about has an aneurism trying to conduct "The Ocean".

As much as I enjoy AC/DC, them and the Stones are basically the same song over and over.

If you don't like the sound of "Highway to Hell" (which I do), it doesn't matter how many albums you go through, you still won't like AC/DC.

If you don't like "Jumpin' Jack Flash" (which I don't), you won't like the Stones.

Quincy

Yup.

As much as I enjoy AC/DC, them and the Stones are basically the same song over and over.

If you don't like the sound of "Highway to Hell" (which I do), it doesn't matter how many albums you go through, you still won't like AC/DC.

:plain:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I remember my parent's forbidding me to go to their concert. And then someone died at that same concert. Trampled to death.

My parents were fairly strict, so I didn't get to go to rock concerts. The only concerts I ever went to as an adult were Kenny Rogers and Chicago.

ragTagblues

AC/DC and the Stones... longevity should have a lot to do about it.

Ahhh but the Stones these days are really quite stale . . . . they just look and sound old and tired!

Led Zeppelin? Maybe!
Queen? Before Freddie Mercury died possibly.
AC/DC? There great; but had a tendency to be too formulaic IMO.

My choice would be either -

The Beatles - Can't stand their music; but it has done so much for music as a whole and is still as popular today as it was in the good old days.

or

Big Star - These guys were amazing and really have gone on to influence so many modern bands and are generally considered to be one of the best . . . . They were only together for 4 years or some such.

And just to throw out a wild card - I think Grizzly Bear are probably the best band I have heard in the last 20 years and will go very far.