toldailytopic: Where should TOL go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainee

But he need not suggest a bridge for me.

He and others like him have
nothing to do with what I will do or where I will go,
I mean, unless he can ban me.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I've mentioned a few features I would like to see over the years, so I would hope those options would be available at some point in the near future.
And I have those suggestions written on my forearm so there is no need to remind me of them here in this thread.

:noid:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
@Knight: In view of the others' call for more expansive religious/political choices, why not just make it so that you can just type it in yourself? That is, just make the area a blank space? Instead of having the choices for "right wing" or "left wing," why not just let a poster like Gamera write: "God hating liberal"? :p
I want people to make a choice. I don't want gibberish in those fields.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I want people to make a choice. I don't want gibberish in those fields.

Oh. I still say that "God-hating" should precede the left wing categories, though. :p

"More left than right (but still God-hating)," "God-hating left winger," etc. :chuckle:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
:think: And maybe a What is the Heretic listening to Now thread...but definitely not a Where Should the Heretic Go. :nono: I don't even want to think about the bannings that would sponsor.

And you should add a Bridge thread for a few of the new posters to live under. :plain:

:rotfl:

Ok, I recant what I said earlier. TH has my vote for mod. :chuckle:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Uh... gee... that would be easy to moderate. :nono:

Actually, I think that Chrysostom has a point. If someone puts something ridiculously stupid in something so simple as "describe yourself politically," then it's probably a good gauge of how the poster will end up behaving on the forum. You could use it to weed out trolls.

Wait...

Never mind. :noid:

nicholsmom

What's the alternative?
There's a little thing called "thread locking" that the mods can do to end a non-productive, destructive thread.

I would suggest a policy that compartmentalized oft-repeated topics, to limit thread spamming; as well as the use of thread locking to keep the peace. But aside from these, if we want a marketplace of ideas with more weight given to Christian ideas (since it is a Christian-owned site), then we can do little to discourage proselytizing toward unbiblical ideas.

Censorship?

What do you have against censorship?

nicholsmom

A few new features come to mind:

1. Safe-haven forums where those of a like mind may fellowship and discuss items without intrusion by those that disagree with the purposes of this sort of forum. For example: Open-Theists Only, MAD Only, Reformed Only, Catholic Only, etc.

2. Ask Five Questions forum. Members post here five questions that are directed to any other member. The targeted member has three days to respond to all five questions. The thread is closed afterwards whether or not a response was received.

3. Somewhat similarly, a Face the Board thread. Members willing to be subjected to the third degree, if you will, post therein stating their willingness to answer any questions posed (within reasonable bounds of privacy and modesty). Questions are then directed towards them by anyone. Questions can be quite benign, such as, "what is your favorite color", to more pointed. The thread is closed after 1000 posts have been made. Thus, there would be thread titles as follows in this forum: FTB - AMR; FTB - Town Heretic; FTB - Knight, etc. Once the 1000 post limit reached a new thread, if needed, would be started, e.g., FTB - Knight (2), and so on. One downside I have seen used in this type of forum is that those who seek to increase post counts love it way too much, as it becomes their sole reason to participate in the forum: to ask the same questions in round-robin fashion to all who have started the thread.

4. Ask a Chaplain forum. Initially Chaplains are appointed by management. Later other chaplains weigh in with management on future Chaplain appointments. Must be ordained and provide documentary proof from a church, not from one of the many internet groups that hand out ordination certificates to anyone. All posts therein are moderated and anonymized. No user name appears for the original poster. Only the original poster and appointed Chaplains, whose posts are not anonymized, are allowed to respond in threads created. The first Chaplain responding usually owns the entire conversation with the original poster. Other Chaplains do not weigh in unless asked by the original poster or by the first responding Chaplain. This suggestion has a complication I have noted on another site where I am serving as a Chaplain in a similarly styled forum. The posts are usually from sock accounts as regular members are often suspicious of just how much anonymity is provided. ;)

5. Moderate rep posts. There should be no free ride for those that want to end-run the posting rules of proper behavior. Persons receiving rep posts that are objectionable should be able to post them to the Woodshed for actioning. Of course, this would be a nice feature only paid subscribers would enjoy. ;)

6. Men Only and Women Only Forums.

AMR

Exactly! That's what I was getting at with the "compartmentalized" forum policy, but you said it so much better and with better detail and examples too :up:

rainee

:crackup:

I don't even know rainee, but...

:rotfl:

It's alright, I had to write something.

Something that made me different from Calvinists who are arrogant and rude to people they have no right to belittle.

I would choose an SD over some of them, perhaps, if I had to.
But I shouldn't have to.
So I tried to give them a reason to think about why what I want might mean anything.
Of course what little thing I gave might not mean a thing.
Over that I can laugh too.

rainee

But what does it matter?

I no longer like being here anyway.

Town Heretic has called me a troll forty seven times too many.

I will leave when I am ready and it will be soon enough...
you can save your breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.