toldailytopic: When does overeating become gluttony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyc

I've always been more than a bit sarcastic about someone screaming at the top of their lungs at others to repent, standing in the pulpit at more than 100 lbs. overweight. I often wonder how many who see his message reject it simply on the grounds of his gluttony, being poor and hungry themselves. :think:

Hagee took the verse "man shall not live by bread alone" a little bit too literally :chuckle:
When he preaches I like how he builds up to a crescendo and stops to let everyone to clap and cheer with a rapturous applause. He really gives them their money's worth every sunday.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Fat people in general tend to really drive me nuts.

I come from a slender, fit, properly-fed family, and to see over-eating and obesity especially in children completely infuriates me.

Some obese persons really cannot help being [sic] fat. So, besides being fortunate, why would heavy persons drive you nuts? Please do not tell me someone heavy-set carries you around town? :dizzy:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Some obese persons really cannot help being [sic] fat. So, besides being fortunate, why would heavy persons drive you nuts? Please do not tell me someone heavy-set carries you around town? :dizzy:

I rarely encounter overweight individuals who seem to care about their condition or improving it. I've known some, but very few. It seems once you hop onto the Corpulence Highway you just keep going and going. I find that kind of lifestyle disgusting from an aesthetic standpoint and gruesome from a self-respecting standpoint, too. Genetics plays its part, to be sure, but why throw in the towel? Put down the chalupa and eat a salad, or something!

P.S. Your question...boggles the mind.:noway:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 27th, 2010 09:51 AM

toldailytopic: When does overeating become gluttony?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

When food replaces something unrelated to food. People who eat to fill their lives with something missing, which is not needed for nourishment. When food becomes a fixation, a worshiped thing, something, which takes the place of what we need to do, rather than withdraw into satisfying a feeling of emptiness. This seems to be gluttony, self serving, rather than being proactive. The sin is not measured in pounds, rather what we avoid by eating as a substitute.

Buzzword

When food replaces something unrelated to food. People who eat to fill their lives with something missing, which is not needed for nourishment. When food becomes a fixation, a worshiped thing, something, which takes the place of what we need to do, rather than withdraw into satisfying a feeling of emptiness. This seems to be gluttony, self serving, rather than being proactive. The sin is not measured in pounds, rather what we avoid by eating as a substitute.

^This^

My wife was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and Endometriosis at the age of 12.

This combination causes her body to produce testosterone at an increased rate, to the point that it doesn't have anywhere to go.

It absorbs into her body fat, increasing the lipid chemical bonds to the point that the body requires about 5 times as much energy to metabolize them as it would normal fat cells.

Thus, she has never been able to consistently lose weight except by starvation, even as a champion swimmer in high school.

Plus she's large-framed anyway.
She will never be anywhere near what body-type nazis call "fit," but it is in no way her own fault.

On the flip side, I ate like a horse all through high school.
I was in marching band, and my metabolism was still in high gear.

My first year of college it bottomed out on me without me realizing it, and still eating like a horse I gained 30 pounds in a few months.
Now I'm 65 pounds overweight, going to school and working, with barely enough time in between to spend time with my wife, to say nothing of working out consistently.

Have I been careless? Yes.
Have I been lazy? Yes.
But never has eating become the end-all of my pleasures.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
When you are a sloth along with overeating it becomes gluttony. Michael Phelps eats more than most anyone I know personally, but he also trains in the pool constantly and consistently and is not overweight. He eats what he needs to, and burns the calories. So he technically does not overeat.

Also, if you overeat every time you eat, it is gluttony.

And, overeating isn't the only thing that makes people fat. What you eat plays a major role. My youngest brother eats way more than I do, but he is skinnier because he doesn't eat certain foods. And it isn't because he does anything to burn the calories.

The Berean

I rarely encounter overweight individuals who seem to care about their condition or improving it. I've known some, but very few. It seems once you hop onto the Corpulence Highway you just keep going and going. I find that kind of lifestyle disgusting from an aesthetic standpoint and gruesome from a self-respecting standpoint, too. Genetics plays its part, to be sure, but why throw in the towel? Put down the chalupa and eat a salad, or something!

I have one friend like this. She has quite a round, apple shaped, body. However, she doesn't overeat and is is quite cardiovascularly fit. She's a spinning instructor at a local health club and has competed in several triathlons. I could never understand why her body doesn't slim down with all that exercise? I suspect it is genetic.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I was an athlete all through high school and college. Then when I stopped, my weight went up. So I figured activity would help. It didn't.

In order to be at a healthy weight, I have to feel hungry even after a meal. Hard lesson to learn. Harder to follow. Walking helps a little. But I wish it wasn't like that. I have a son who eats like a horse all the time, and is quite slim.

I envy him.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

Do you know what this means? Id to are going to the market, would you mind carrying me with you?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I have one friend like this. She has quite a round, apple shaped, body. However, she doesn't overeat and is is quite cardiovascularly fit. She's a spinning instructor at a local health club and has competed in several triathlons. I could never understand why her body doesn't slim down with all that exercise? I suspect it is genetic.

spinning instructor at a local health club? way out there!:)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
:confused:

You mean someone has a gun to their head at the supper table?!? Heaven forbid!!! :shocked:

More like in their head. Now dig this, emotional denial sometimes leads to displacement, one feels insecure, unloved and empty, then they fill that empty space with food. This is true.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
...standing there in a nine hundred dollar suit, wearing a five hundred dollar watch, wearing three hundred dollar loafers, with his chauffeured car waiting to take him back to his six-bedroom house Old Country Buffet.

So yeah.

I think we found something we can all agree. Nobody should be a gluttonous person. Not to be confused with those over the age of 30 that have to work to not pack it on.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
There's no difference between gluttony and overeating, imho. I mean, you can be eating more than enough to sustain your weight (and thus be gaining weight), but if you are a weightlifter (and therefore are gaining muscle mass), nobody calls that "overeating." Overeating signifies a kind of excess.

taikoo

I'm a little disturbed at the idea that something isn't considered a sin until it reaches the point of addiction or its destructive effects have become obvious...

I agree with that, even if from a perspective that does not include 'sin' in your sense.

The way we were taught is like this.

Your emotions serve to give power to your actions.
What you do is determined by what you know to be right.

When you let your emotions determine your actions, that is when self indulgence comes in. THAT is the "sin".

In this case, of course, gluttony is greedy, unhealthy, etc. So it is harm caused by self indulgence.

taikoo

You very very seldom see an overweight person on japan, korea, china.

That tells you the percent of fat Americans who have a clinical problem and how many have no sense about how much of what to eat.

Buzzword

You very very seldom see an overweight person on japan, korea, china.

That tells you the percent of fat Americans who have a clinical problem and how many have no sense about how much of what to eat.

Um, hate to get racial, but Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese tend to be small-framed (aside from sumo, but most of those guys would just be tall without the fat). Plus their cultural diet consists of foods which digest very quickly and don't contain much fat.

People of nordic descent have a much greater variety of body type and skeletal structure.
Culturally, these people eat a lot of red meat, carbohydrates, and fats based on their ancestors, who would have died in winter without the added fats, proteins, and energy.

People of African descent (thanks in part to slaveowners killing the little ones and breeding the big ones) also show a much larger variety of body type and skeletal frame than Asians.
The African cultural diet consists mostly of red meats, based on the ancestral tendency to hunt rather than farm.

It's not a "clinical problem" or a result of carelessness to have a large frame, yet many LARGE (not fat, not gluttonous, etc) Americans are judged as being lazy, careless, undisciplined JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE BIGGER THAN SOME OTHERS, and don't happen to have an interest in athletics.

taikoo

Um, hate to get racial, but Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese tend to be small-framed (aside from sumo, but most of those guys would just be tall without the fat). Plus their cultural diet consists of foods which digest very quickly and don't contain much fat.

People of nordic descent have a much greater variety of body type and skeletal structure.
Culturally, these people eat a lot of red meat, carbohydrates, and fats based on their ancestors, who would have died in winter without the added fats, proteins, and energy.

People of African descent (thanks in part to slaveowners killing the little ones and breeding the big ones) also show a much larger variety of body type and skeletal frame than Asians.
The African cultural diet consists mostly of red meats, based on the ancestral tendency to hunt rather than farm.

It's not a "clinical problem" or a result of carelessness to have a large frame, yet many LARGE (not fat, not gluttonous, etc) Americans are judged as being lazy, careless, undisciplined JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE BIGGER THAN SOME OTHERS, and don't happen to have an interest in athletics.

I wont comment on your African stuff other than to say it is bonkers!

As for "small framed' Asians... hmm. I am five ft 7 myself.... 110 lbs soaking wet. Chinese of today are way bigger than their parents and grandparents. Same in Japan etc.

You are correct about diet being different; im mostly vegetarian, i eat a little fish. no red meat at all. No dairy. (lactose intolerant anyway)

People from the poor countries like Philippines are almost always small stature. They come to the USA, and their kids are 6 ft tall.

Your last paragraph looks a bit defensive?

IF you eat too much, you get fat; simple. No other way to do it really.
That isnt self indulgence?

Buzzword

taikoo said:
I wont comment on your African stuff other than to say it is bonkers!

As for "small framed' Asians... hmm. I am five ft 7 myself.... 110 lbs soaking wet. Chinese of today are way bigger than their parents and grandparents. Same in Japan etc.

You are correct about diet being different; im mostly vegetarian, i eat a little fish. no red meat at all. No dairy. (lactose intolerant anyway)

People from the poor countries like Philippines are almost always small stature. They come to the USA, and their kids are 6 ft tall.

Your last paragraph looks a bit defensive?

IF you eat too much, you get fat; simple. No other way to do it really.
That isnt self indulgence?

What about the African thing was bonkers?
I haven't heard of many farms springing up around the Serengeti.
Plus I said CULTURAL diet, not necessarily the diet of everybody of that particular heritage.

Or was it the body type stuff?
The slave traders/owners wanted more BIGGER, STRONGER slaves, so they'd encourage those slaves to breed.
Simple matter of history, really.

You've given your measurements before, and the mental picture seems to support my generalization about Asian descendants, which was based on my own experiences in Japan and with Americans of Asian descent.

Then again, maybe we have different ideas of what "small framed" means?
Mine means a lack of width on the horizontal axis of the skeleton.

The last paragraph was in effect a rant on my wife's behalf (see my previous post).
Buzzword said:
My wife was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and Endometriosis at the age of 12.

This combination causes her body to produce testosterone at an increased rate, to the point that it doesn't have anywhere to go.

It absorbs into her body fat, increasing the lipid chemical bonds to the point that the body requires about 5 times as much energy to metabolize them as it would normal fat cells.

Thus, she has never been able to consistently lose weight except by starvation, even as a champion swimmer in high school.

Plus she's large-framed anyway.
She will never be anywhere near what body-type nazis call "fit," but it is in no way her own fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.