toldailytopic: When does overeating become gluttony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 27th, 2010 09:51 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 27th, 2010 09:51 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

When you take pleasure in overeating.

Granite

Hall of Fame
When you start damaging your body. It's certainly possible (and fun) to indulge, but all things in moderation.

Aimiel

Probably when walking to the restroom gets one out-of-breath. I have relatives who are so overweight their color and respiration suggests that they're out-of-breath just sitting still, for whom three plate-fulls of food per meal (three to four meals per day) isn't even enough, they still snack on everything imaginable between meals.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

:think: Thanksgiving...maybe Christmas, depending on whether or not I'm dining with the in-laws.

GuySmiley

I would say when over-eating becomes a controlling force in your life. This is a hard one to put a hard definition on, now that I think of it.

andyc

When I was In America some time back I was sitting in a Ryans restaurant (in champagne IL) and while looking out the window I saw a 4X4 pull up and a huge guy got out, then a huge wife got out, and finally two big round kids got out. And as they waddled into the restaurant I was spying on them wondering what they'd be eating. The woman must have shoveled an entire farm on her plate piled as high as a mountain. I have never seen anything like it before in my life :chuckle:

That was gluttony like I've never seen.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
When eating becomes a recreation. I'm prone to it. On the weekend, making a big pot of Herrera's bean soup, or a nice shrimp remoulade, and having an extra helping that I clearly don't need, that's gluttony.

As C.S. Lewis wrote, it can be as simple as being unsatisfied unless one's toast is browned just so.

Granite

Hall of Fame
When I was In America some time back I was sitting in a Ryans restaurant (in champagne IL) and while looking out the window I saw a 4X4 pull up and a huge guy got out, then a huge wife got out, and finally two big round kids got out. And as they waddled into the restaurant I was spying on them wondering what they'd be eating. The woman must have shoveled an entire farm on her plate piled as high as a mountain. I have never seen anything like it before in my life :chuckle:

That was gluttony like I've never seen.

Fat people in general tend to really drive me nuts.

I come from a slender, fit, properly-fed family, and to see over-eating and obesity especially in children completely infuriates me.

andyc

Fat people in general tend to really drive me nuts.

I come from a slender, fit, properly-fed family, and to see over-eating and obesity especially in children completely infuriates me.

In the UK we don't tend have all-you-can-eat restaurants, so it was interesting to see how much people were able to put away. I never stayed long enough to see what desert they had.

Granite

Hall of Fame
In the UK we don't tend have all-you-can-eat restaurants, so it was interesting to see how much people were able to put away. I never stayed long enough to see what desert they had.

I've seen some similar horror shows at the Old Country Buffet.:shocked:

I don't know why something so simple seems so impossible for some folks. It's self-discipline; it's what and how much you eat, which is one of the basics. Whenever I'm out in public it looks like I'm adrift in a sea of lard, and it's downright disgusting. Put. Down. The. Fork.

Aimiel

I've gone to an all-you-can-eat buffet diner with my in-laws... ONCE. Never again. Plate after plate, piled with food of all sorts. I lose my appetite just seeing them eat.

Dena

I would say when over-eating becomes a controlling force in your life.

I think I would agree with this whether or not the person realizes it. I'm not sure how one could not realize it but that does seem to be the case at times.

Paulos

when you start gaining weight

They say you can't judge a book by its cover, but can you judge a glutton by his blubber?

images

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I'm a little disturbed at the idea that something isn't considered a sin until it reaches the point of addiction or its destructive effects have become obvious...

Aimiel

I've always been more than a bit sarcastic about someone screaming at the top of their lungs at others to repent, standing in the pulpit at more than 100 lbs. overweight. I often wonder how many who see his message reject it simply on the grounds of his gluttony, being poor and hungry themselves. :think:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I've always been more than a bit sarcastic about someone screaming at the top of their lungs at others to repent, standing in the pulpit at more than 100 lbs. overweight. I often wonder how many who see his message reject it simply on the grounds of his gluttony, being poor and hungry themselves. :think:

...standing there in a nine hundred dollar suit, wearing a five hundred dollar watch, wearing three hundred dollar loafers, with his chauffeured car waiting to take him back to his six-bedroom house.

So yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.