toldailytopic: What was the first job you ever had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cool. :)

My girlfriend's first job was 4 years US Army Airborne active duty.

Also not as cool as selling vacuums.

I was stationed at North Island, Naval Air Station, San Diego, California. I was in the commissary division.

In the mid 50's my late brother sold Bibles door to door, B.B. Kirkbride's Thompson Chain Reference Bible.​

Krsto

When I got out of highschool I moved to Canada, and worked as an apprentice to a general contractor. He was an Iranian Canadian, and I could barely understand what he said half the time. It made for some interesting mistakes on my part.

and a conveniant excuse when it really was your mistake!

P8ntrDan

Well there was detasseling for a few brief weeks until I was old enough to get a 'real' job cashiering at the local Shopko. Real busy place with a Walmart and Kmart just down the street. :D

Krsto

I was stationed at North Island, Naval Air Station, San Diego, California. I was in the commissary division.

In the mid 50's my late brother sold Bibles door to door, B.B. Kirkbride's Thompson Chain Reference Bible.​

One of my sons is stationed at Pt. Loma - navy diver training dolphins. Not his first job but not a bad one for a 19 year old.

I think the first "job," other than the usual lawn mowing, snow shoveling, picking berries and pine cones, peeling cascara bark stuff was our Creepy Crawlers stand where we sold them to other kids in the neighborhood. Creepy Crawlers were little rubbery bugs we made by pouring some kind of liquid into bug molds and warming it up. Who says 10 year olds can't make money other than doing a cool-aid stand?

fool

Hall of Fame
If our grades were good we could get a paper route when we were twelve.
That and raking leaves or mowing lawns for nighbors was pretty much it until I was 15 and landed a gig stocking at a fruit market for minimum wage and all the fruit you could eat (just because you can dosen't mean you should).

Krsto

I'm seeing a pattern here - young people get stupid jobs because, well, they are stupid. :noway: Sure couldn't tell us that when we were young though. :eek:

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
McDonald's at 16. We could eat whatever we wanted, we just had to write it down. With that, I pretty much doubled my wages.
I invented a protein "diet" while there. Fish fillet patties for buns, four burgers in the middle with a slice of cheese between each pattie. Gained thirty pounds.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
When Knight was little, I used to babysit him. I was probably 11 or 12. Not sure if this counts, but I did get paid once in a while. After that, I worked in our mom's cake supply store.

Real Sorceror

Burger place (I think 18?), then Target, then AutoCad draftsman, and now internet-tech support guy.

King cobra said:
I invented a protein "diet" while there. Fish fillet patties for buns, four burgers in the middle with a slice of cheese between each pattie. Gained thirty pounds.
I think I would literally die. My 24-year old heart would seize up and I'd die.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Teaching ... and then for 30 years.

What did you do for money before you graduated school?

My first job was bagging groceries. I didn't like it. The second was McDonalds flipping burgers. I did like that more. Faster pace and 80 hour paychecks.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Had two part-time jobs at age 15. One was a grocery-store bagger, stocker, inventory. The other was at a gas station. Pump gas, do oil changes, tire repairs, etc. That was in the 1950s. As I remember, the pay was around $1.25 - $1.50 an hour.

One Eyed Jack

My dad was part owner of a book store and a record shop, so I went to work there when I was about 16. Before that, I'd mow yards and stuff for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.