toldailytopic: What was the first job you ever had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 8th, 2010 01:06 PM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

WizardofOz

Good one

Good one

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 8th, 2010 01:06 PM

Corn detassling, age 13; then on to dish washing at a restaurant in town. I've been employed ever since other than a few months while in college.

I don't think I've ever had a job I've hated.

Well, there was that one.....:D

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I sold greeting cards door to door. We had to buy the greeting cards and then resell them. It was horrible.

WizardofOz

At least you were both young when you were selling.

Cold sales are brutal. Being a cute kid certainly doesn't hurt.

Ps82

How old were you when you started your first job?

Now, you shouldn't ask a lady her age.
BUT, I started when I was 21. After that, I was either teaching from grades 1-7 or teaching and going back to school. I'm retired now. It's great.

WizardofOz

Now, you shouldn't ask a lady her age.

My apologies.

BUT, I started when I was 21. After that, I was either teaching from grades 1-7 or teaching and going back to school. I'm retired now. It's great.

That was what I was trying to find out. When you said your first job was as a teacher, I was guessing you must have been in your twenties.

yokefellow

Around age 14/15, I folded seed germination towels (don't ask) and cleaned/reorganized attic storage at my dad's employer. Thankfully, it was just for a summer.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Washing dishes in a restaurant at age 14. $1 per hour, but a few dollars in the pocket of a 14 year old every week is an epiphany LOL.

The Berean

My first job was at age 13 picking strawberries for $2.50/hr plus $0.50 per box during the summer of 1982. It was often 95-100 degrees during the day. We worked six days a week, 8-12 hours per day. After that summer my dad told me I had a choice. I can be a laborer like him or I can go to college. Guess which choice I picked? :think:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My first job was at age 15, working for a Christian Daycare. It was so long ago, I really don't even remember what it paid.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I wasn't going to bother answering this thread at first. The first job I could recall was fry cook at some fast food restaurant that I can't even remember the name of. Not at all interesting.

Then it occurred to me...no, the first job of any sort I can recall, that I actually got paid to do you understand, was yard work (raking pine straw, picking up trash, etc). In a psychiatric hospital. As a patient.

I don't think I ever filled out a W4 on that though so maybe that doesn't qualify. There were forms here and there with my name on them, indicating I was a grounds-keeper. And I got paid every week. And I did if for something like six months or so.

If that doesn't qualify then we're going to have to go with the fry cook thing. But if you were to ask about my second job then I could tell you all about working at an adult video store. Much more interesting, in a humorously creepy and often disturbing kinda way.

Status
Not open for further replies.