toldailytopic: What punishment SHOULD Penn State's Jerry Sandusky receive today?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't know what you're saying. :idunno:
Well, I said that if I could alter his nature I'd instill in him a perfect empathy. I then suggested that should lead him to God, as perfection is the province of God.

How are you defining the term?
I wasn't aware there was more than one way to see sin: the willful disobedience to the good and Holy, to God. Now all of us, absent grace, are justly condemned. And as I am a forgiven man I value mercy over justice.

:e4e:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 9th, 2012 08:50 AM

toldailytopic: What punishment SHOULD Penn State's Jerry Sandusky receive today?

Stone the slimeball or put him in front of the firing squad--end the pervert's life. He wastes space. Let's put him out of our misery.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

I think they should let him go... off a skyscraper.

And what is with the people who want to argue Jerry isn't gay? He molested some of these boys well into adulthood.

Buzz

I wasn't aware there was more than one way to see sin: the willful disobedience to the good and Holy, to God. Now all of us, absent grace, are justly condemned. And as I am a forgiven man I value mercy over justice.

I think we are talking about two separate things.

Jerry is not condemned by God because of what he has done. If He is under condemnation before God, it is because he has rejected His Son, and that alone. And it matters not if he is or is not under condemnation with God, when it comes to him receiving justice for his behavior. In that, there should be no partiality.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think we are talking about two separate things.
Kind of...

Jerry is not condemned by God because of what he has done. If He is under condemnation before God, it is because he has rejected His Son, and that alone. And it matters not if he is or is not under condemnation with God, when it comes to him receiving justice for his behavior. In that, there should be no partiality.
I understand you, but Christ's rejection is the acceptance of our rightful judgment, so I think that's just a step removed from what I'm talking about. That is, yes, the issue for us is whether or not we accept Christ, but that was necessitated by what?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
Perfect. But it doesn't make it even. The people surviving abuse didn't ask for it. But Sandusky deserves it. I can't think of a better punishment than making him live with the hell he inflicted on those kids.

Death is too good for him.

Are you volunteering to take that "position"?

As TH says, if I could make him feel what he had done the way his victims feel it, I would.

Doesn't that idea only perpetuate evil?

Not in Sandusky, I think. It might just drive him to repentance. If not, then he'd just be starting Hell a little earlier.

Buzz

No, I mean why did he have to sacrifice himself to begin with. What was it he paid for with that death. That's the condemnation, once removed, that we are spared from.
He died for our sins, which caused our death, separating us from God.

Those who are in Christ are one spirit with Him. The body is still dead because of sin, but the spirit is alive because of righteousness Rom 8:10. The body will be redeemed, but is now still in subjection to sin and death. Jesus does not free you from earthly condemnation, but heavenly. Grace is for your eternal home, not your earthly one. Otherwise, no one would be sick or die.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
He died for our sins, which caused our death, separating us from God.
Exactly. That's what I was getting at. So, absent grace I would be condemned by my own willful disobedience.

Jesus does not free you from earthly condemnation, but heavenly.
I understand. Hopefully the parallel I drew is a bit clearer.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 9th, 2012 08:50 AM

I was thinking more about this today. Sandusky was convicted of 45 counts of raping boys--45 times that we know of he assaulted 10 young men over many years. It's probably more than that. What would be justice in this case? 30-60 years in prison is a paltry sentence in my opinion.

If Sandusky were if receive true justice it would be the death penalty. Here are two forms to consider:

1. Lock him in a cell with four angry former Penn State Football players weighing four hundred pounds apiece and armed with chains. Let see how long he lasts.

2. Lock him in a cell with the fathers of these ten boys and arm them with baseball bats and see how long he lasts.

Too bad our legal system doesn't allow for such sentences. We'll settle for hanging or the firing squad.