toldailytopic: What languages do you speak?

john w

Hall of Fame
I am an expert on "the Greek," since I took a "the Greek" course from the back of my Sponge Bob cereal box, and am an expert on "the modern English"-my bad....snuff the punk....wussup....just sayin'.....whatever....

Lon

I am an expert on "the Greek," since I took a "the Greek" course from the back of my Sponge Bob cereal box, and am an expert on "the modern English"-my bad....snuff the punk....wussup....just sayin'.....whatever....
Wait...I'm the only one in here who said Greek. Dang you John. We are boxin' again :(

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
American english, and that is about it. Unless you count some .mil jargon.

Dena

English. I study Hebrew but I really don't know much at all and we do focus on Biblical Hebrew mostly anyway.

Thunder's Muse

Uh, well...English (some days are better than others :chuckle: ). In High School, I studied Indonesian and became quite fluent. Of course, that was a really long time ago and so have forgotten most of it.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: What languages do you speak?

Fluently: American English

The second language I know the most is Spanish. My dad took it in college and taught me some, so I took a year in high school.

I know how to say, "hello," and "goodbye," in a few different languages: Japanese, Hebrew, Hawaiian. And I can also say, "hello," in Chinese. I also know a few other words in Japanese, and ancient Hebrew and a few words in ancient Greek. Some of those may also be the same in the modern languages. I also know a little Yiddish.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Latin and Spanish through HS and undergrad work, but horribly rusty on both after over a couple of decades of little use. Easier to read than to conjugate these days...a little English, smattering of French and Italian, mostly tourist phrases and rough outlines.

And, of course, I speak serious funk, which is the language of love. :guitar:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Read/translate:
Ecclesial Latin
Biblical Greek
Biblical Hebrew

Speak:
Spanish (too rusty since high school to read anything substantive)
Japanese (Army Language School (DLI) trained: used to read at the Japanese high school level, but that was over 30 years ago)

AMR

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I remember a little Spanish from High School.
I learned to converse in Italian when I lived in Sicily for two years, but that's been forty years ago.
I know lots of Greek words, and can read words from the Greek text, though I don't always know what the words mean without looking them up.
I know lots of Hebrew words and can recite some Hebrew prayers and blessings, though when I've listened to Israelis converse, I can only recognize a word here and there.
I know southern drawl, but can move from that to uptown proper English instantly and no one would know that I was born and raised in Tennessee.
I can put on a pretty good British accent, tricking locals in the South USA, but not likely convincing to true Brits.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I can read literally any language in the world, as long as it's written in English.

Lon

The Lonster has been watching Tyler Perry movies?
Homie say wah?

I think it just comes from being a school teacher, but I think I'm with you and Knight. Knight, because it is ever changin'. You, because Barbara Billingsly puts us to shame.