toldailytopic: What languages do you speak?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 9th, 2012 07:53 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

bybee

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 9th, 2012 07:53 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

English of course. French, un peau, Espanol, poquito.
In high school we learned "Ig-Latin"! Very fun. My mother would get a kick out of how quickly we learned "Ig" I guess because we didn't have to conjugate any verbs regular or regular!

HisServant

Some French (6 years in school for it), I learned spanish for and on some mission trips, I also learned some Italian when I worked for an Italian firm for a couple years.

I am just fluent enough in all of them to look foolish and be dangerous :)

Lon

German, but a German kindergartener would put me to shame.

I've also Greek and Hebrew induction, but not as spoken languages.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've lived wherever it is I am at the moment to speak the basics of Mandarin. After 12-odd years I am now able to order by myself at McDonalds. :plain:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I speak English and bad English.

I speak Cowboy.

I also took 8 years of German.

I speak Mandarin.

I dated a girl in high school who was deaf, so I know a bit of American Sign Language...but not enough to get by really.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I dated a girl in high school who was deaf, so I know a bit of American Sign Language...but not enough to get by really.

I learned it because :jessilu:'s babysitter was deaf. Although he read lips, I thought it would be more polite for me to learn how to talk to him than to expect him to watch my lips all the time.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I learned it because :jessilu:'s babysitter was deaf. Although he read lips, I thought it would be more polite for me to learn how to talk to him than to expect him to watch my lips all the time.

I'd like to know it better, actually. I think it is a remarkable form of communication.

Strangely, the grammar of ASL is quite similar to that of Mandarin.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Google Translate - will computer translation software eventually remove the need for language learning?

Fun time! Translate this to German:

pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk bschk pv bschk bschk pv kkkkkkkkkk bschk bschk bschk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk bschk pv bschk bschk pv kkkkkkkkkk bschk bschk bschk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk bschk pv bschk bschk pv kkkkkkkkkk bschk bschk bschk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk bschk pv bschk bschk pv kkkkkkkkkk bschk bschk bschk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk pv zk bschk pv zk pv bschk zk bschk pv bschk bschk pv kkkkkkkkkk bschk bschk bschk

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'd like to know it better, actually. I think it is a remarkable form of communication.

Strangely, the grammar of ASL is quite similar to that of Mandarin.

:jessilu: learned ASL before she could say anything more than "Mama" and "Dada". We met Charles when she was six months old.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
American English :e4e:

My mom and dad would speak Norwegian, but didn't make a habit of it, my mom's mom said that we boys were American and we should always speak American. I regret that I didn't insist that they teach my brother and Norwegian.