toldailytopic: What is the best country in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohiym

According to the UN human development index the top 10 countries are . . . .

1 Norway
2 Australia
3 Iceland
4 Canada
5 Ireland
6 Netherlands
7 Sweden
8 France
9 Switzerland
10 Japan

(The US ranks 13th)

I'm surprised. Frankly, I would have thought we ranked lower than 13th.

I've spent some time in a few of those countries; Canada, Switzerland and the Netherlands. Of those three, I would pick Switzerland.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

I've spent some time in a few of those countries; Canada, Switzerland and the Netherlands. Of those three, I would pick Switzerland.

:think: I'd go for Sweden myself.......if I couldn't live here in the U.S. that is.

Ranking aside and with all our flaws I still think U.S. is best. :plain:

The Berean

...for service jobs.

The majority of the manufacturing jobs went to better countries. :plain:

As some one who has worked in manufacturing my entire career. I can say that is simply not true. In fact there is a severe shortage of manufacturing workers (machinists, welders, aircraft mechanics, manufacturing engineers, composite fabricators etc.) in this country.

Welder shortage

Future of Welding

Wall Street Journal Article-Welding

Machinist shortage

2005 Skills Gap Report
- Detail report on the severe shortage of skilled labor.

OMEGA

:drum: $$ C A N A D A $$ :drum:

:singer: WE GOT LOTS OF MONEY AND GOLD

AND OUR BANKS ARE BACKED UP BY THE GOVERNMENT

JUST LIKE OUR HEALTH CARE. LOL.

========================

fool

Hall of Fame
:drum: $$ C A N A D A $$ :drum:

:singer: WE GOT LOTS OF MONEY AND GOLD

========================

The drinking age is 19 the money is more colorful the beer is 6% and at the strip club the women are completly naked!
Nuthin wrong with Canada.

taikoo

In so far as freedom, to me, United States, hands down.

How much freedom to do what is not specified of course.

i think most Americans would say that the people in USA is much more free than in China, for example.

In the USA, tho we are very restricted by regulations of so many sorts!

In China you see people doing all manner of things very openly that would get them in jail or big fines in the USA.

im sure this is true of a lot of countries.

Not saying i want to live somewhere besides here. just, a little international perspective is good before saying whats best.

taikoo

And highest IQ comes from western pacific rim

pqmomba8

As much as I love America............the people are WAY too uptight and the laws are very restrictive (in terms of personal freedom.....)

So I would say (in descending order) - Netherlands, Denmark, Switzerland, Italy and Hungary.

grit

OK, so let's crank it up a bit. I'll go with the CSA (Confederate States of America), we may be occupied presently, but I'm pretty sure we have the coolest songs about being heaven-like - places like Virginia and Carolina, and Georgia, and even Alabama. And who doesn't like peaches and oranges and all those cows in Texas?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
As much as I love America............the people are WAY too uptight and the laws are very restrictive (in terms of personal freedom.....)

So I would say (in descending order) - Netherlands, Denmark, Switzerland, Italy and Hungary.

Though in fairness, you live in New England...so it's like someone from New Jersey lamenting a want of manners. :plain: :D

pqmomba8

The drinking age is 19 the money is more colorful the beer is 6% and at the strip club the women are completly naked!
Nuthin wrong with Canada.

Ha, got one better. Prague - the drinking age in Chech republic (as in much of Europe) is 16 and the strip joints there are OFF THE HOOK!!!!! Make the Montreal joints tame.....

pqmomba8

Though in fairness, you live in New England...so it's like someone from New Jersey lamenting a want of manners. :plain: :D

Please.....spare me the blah, blah's...New England is great (well northern New England - New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine.) We have mountains, lakes, skiing and the most European city in the U.S. - Boston. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Please.....spare me the blah, blah's...New England is great (well northern New England - New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine.) We have mountains, lakes, skiing and the most European city in the U.S. - Boston. :)
It wasn't the scenery I was commenting on...:D

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
How much freedom to do what is not specified of course.

i think most Americans would say that the people in USA is much more free than in China, for example.

In the USA, tho we are very restricted by regulations of so many sorts!

In China you see people doing all manner of things very openly that would get them in jail or big fines in the USA.

im sure this is true of a lot of countries.

Not saying i want to live somewhere besides here. just, a little international perspective is good before saying whats best.

:think:

:nono: Nah....I don't want to know.

elohiym

As some one who has worked in manufacturing my entire career. I can say that is simply not true.

Are you saying that, between 2001 and 2006 in the United States, 2.9 million manufacturing jobs were not lost (17% of U.S. manufacturing work force)?

For some strange reason, virtually nothing available for me to buy these days is manufactured wholly in the U.S. Maybe I'm just grossly overstating a minor problem. :idunno:

The Berean

Are you saying that, between 2001 and 2006 in the United States, 2.9 million manufacturing jobs were not lost (17% of U.S. manufacturing work force)?

For some strange reason, virtually nothing available for me to buy these days is manufactured wholly in the U.S. Maybe I'm just grossly overstating a minor problem. :idunno:

How do you define "manufacturing"? It is vague definition. But I look at it this way. To me "manufacturing" is machining, welding, composite fabrication, injection molding, foundry work, assembly of engineered parts, etc. Did you read the links I posted? There is a huge shortage of welders, machinists, composite fabricators, etc. If "all" the manufacturing jobs are overseas why is there a huge shortage or manufacturing workers here in America? I really don't care if my shoes, socks, pants, etc. are made overseas. I'm more concerned with the fabrication of metal, composite, and plastic parts and assemblies for engineered products. That kind of manufacturing is still a large part of American manufacturing and there is a shortage of you people. The average age of machinists and welders is approaching 60! Young people are simply not going into those fields and that is a shame. They can be well paying and rewarding careers. A couple years ago I was in a beginning machining class. The instructor, a veteran machinist, told us that in our local area alone there were something like 500 machine shops. There is plenty of work but a shortage of trained machinists. He really impressed on our class that there is great opportunity for a your trained machinist.

allsmiles

Luxembourg seems like a good place to live. One of the best economies on earth, progressive, rich in history and culture... the only draw back seems to be that the government plays an active part in religious institutions, but religion seems to be dying there in lockstep with the rest of Europe and I'm a fan of that :devil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxembourg#Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.