toldailytopic: What forms (if any) of contraception are immoral?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Or ... maybe she just like chocolate. Who'd of thunk it? Eating a snack for the pleasure of the taste buds.

Dena

Why? Appetition follows upon apprehension. You pursue or avoid because you perceive or know. If you like chocolate (consider it desirable), this is only because you are apprehending the chocolate under some notion or aspect. What notion of the chocolate bar do you have, or under what aspect are you considering the chocolate bar, which makes it desirable?

Presumably, you perceive it as good for you, or as conferring some benefit.

If you were an angel, you presumably would not consider chocolate to be an object of appetition. You wouldn't binge eat on chocolate bars.

The reason you consider a chocolate bar to be an object of appetition is because you conceive it as good for you in some respect. The reason for this is because you are conceiving of the chocolate bar as food, to which you have a natural impulse. But the natural impulse is teleological: it is impulse for food for the sake of nourishment.

But it doesn't nourish. So tell me Trad, do you avoid candy because it is in fact mostly a useless food? I eat chocolate because I enjoy it. I know full well it is not a nourishing food.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Or ... maybe she just like chocolate. Who'd of thunk it? Eating a snack for the pleasure of the taste buds.

1. Pleasure follows upon activity. Aristotle says this in the Nicomachean Ethics.

2. Appetition follows upon apprehension, as stated above, and as St. Thomas Aquinas insists.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
But it doesn't nourish.

There are two senses in which the chocolate bar can be nourishing. Either in terms of the result, or in terms of satisfying the natural impulse. It may not be the best option for nourishing the body in the first sense, but it satisfies the natural impulse. If you're hungry, the chocolate bar is appetible because it's food. It satisfies your hunger.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1. Pleasure follows upon activity. Aristotle says this in the Nicomachean Ethics.

2. Appetition follows upon apprehension, as stated above, and as St. Thomas Aquinas insists.

Pleasure comes in all forms ... including sitting down and watching a movie with your kids or reading a book.

Perhaps Aristotle was a diabetic. :think:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Pleasure comes in all forms ... including sitting down and watching a movie with your kids or reading a book.

Perhaps Aristotle was a diabetic. :think:

No, you're entirely right. There's all kinds of different pleasures; but each kind of pleasure is the "crown" of its correlate activity. There is a pleasure of eating, a pleasure of drinking, a pleasure of sex, a pleasure of contemplation, etc.

This, in my view, is absolutely essential. A pleasure always accompanies and must be evaluated in terms of the activity it accompanies.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I sooo do not have to be hungry to eat chocolate. :chuckle:

1. It's called "gluttony."

2. Nonetheless, you still have a natural impulse to eat, even if you're not necessarily hungry at this particular moment. Since we are body-soul composites, and the soul has care over the body, one of the natural impulses that we have in order to take care of the body is to take in food and drink.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Any "birth control" that isn't against conception (contraception) but is after conception. And you can't use the Bible for this. God was made because Onan was to make an heir, and didn't.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Based upon the OT, all forms of contraception could be labeled as sinful - for it undermines God's design for marriage and sex - to produce children.

Well, not exactly.

Genesis 2

22 And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. 23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. 24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. 25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

And here is some commentary. Just for our auopilot.

It is a verb, and it involves determined action to stay with somebody, out of deep love and commitment; It is not just emotional; it is not passive; it is the attitude and activity of staying close to someone. It is adherence rooted in a shared will or intent.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Which proceeds from the natural desire to eat, which itself proceeds from the need to do so.

If she did not need to eat to survive she would not have desire for pleasuring the taste buds.

But it doesn't nourish. I eat chocolate because I enjoy it. I know full well it is not a nourishing food.
That's not necessarily true. The additives are the diminishing factor, wherein the chocolate itself is actually very good for you.

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
And so it begins... the psychology of a chocolate bar!

As for what forms of contraception I find immoral? None, I don't see preventing unwanted pregnancy as immoral, only common sense/ideal.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
all forms of contraception are wrong in that they frustrate the ultimate purpose of sex
and
you don't need the bible to tell you this

natural law tells us that

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
And so it begins... the psychology of a chocolate bar!

As for what forms of contraception I find immoral? None, I don't see preventing unwanted pregnancy as immoral, only common sense/ideal.
What are your thoughts on prematurely ending a pregnancy through the means of ending the life of the human in the womb?

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
What are your thoughts on prematurely ending a pregnancy through the means of ending the life of the human in the womb?

After 26 weeks? I find it immoral (depending on the circumstance)*, and a stupid stupid idea. Under regular circumstances, after 22 weeks is wrong in an ideal world.

But... if a woman killed an unborn baby on purpose even though she could have EASILY got an abortion (which is probably rare) then she has committed murder - yet I'd give her a lesser sentence than someone who murders a born child.

I wouldn't really judge me through my position on sentences because they are non-intuitive in reverse. If I say that I wanted someone who murdered a 6 year old to spend longer in prison than if they murdered a 5 year old (or vice versa), it could just mean that I want to punish somebody more, not somebody less. (You'd have to be understanding to consider that, so I'm not expecting that from anyone here.)

I don't think that many here fully concede the difficulty of actually getting an abortion in a lot of states (you'd think they'd want to praise themselves for their success, sadly they prefer fear tactics of being overwhelmed).

If you fear constitutional rights... you have a very uphill battle on your hands, perfect for self-inflicted worry.

Thanks for your time reading, I hope I cannot be accused of avoiding your question, I certainly cannot be accused of brevity.

- I don't expect someone who murders a 6 year old to get longer than a 5 year old, but for example: If someone steals a baguette as opposed to a car... either way it's still stealing yet you expect harsher consequences for the car.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
After 26 weeks? I find it immoral (depending on the circumstance)*, and a stupid stupid idea. Under regular circumstances, after 22 weeks is wrong in an ideal world.

But... if a woman killed an unborn baby on purpose even though she could have EASILY got an abortion (which is probably rare) then she has committed murder - yet I'd give her a lesser sentence than someone who murders a born child.

I wouldn't really judge me through my position on sentences because they are non-intuitive in reverse. If I say that I wanted someone who murdered a 6 year old to spend longer in prison than if they murdered a 5 year old (or vice versa), it could just mean that I want to punish somebody more, not somebody less. (You'd have to be understanding to consider that, so I'm not expecting that from anyone here.)

I don't think that many here fully concede the difficulty of actually getting an abortion in a lot of states (you'd think they'd want to praise themselves for their success, sadly they prefer fear tactics of being overwhelmed).

If you fear constitutional rights... you have a very uphill battle on your hands, perfect for self-inflicted worry.

Thanks for your time reading, I hope I cannot be accused of avoiding your question, I certainly cannot be accused of brevity.

- I don't expect someone who murders a 6 year old to get longer than a 5 year old, but for example: If someone steals a baguette as opposed to a car... either way it's still stealing yet you expect harsher consequences for the car.
You didn't avoid the question.

I disagree, and we could get into that, but later, and maybe elsewhere.

Also, while I might expect a different sentence regarding the thefts under our current system I would actually desire they get the same sentence and I don't believe in prison...

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 25th, 2013 08:15 AM

toldailytopic: What forms (if any) of contraception are immoral?

Anything that aborts the child at any stage of his development.