toldailytopic: What forms (if any) of contraception are immoral?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 25th, 2013 08:15 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Buzzword

Abortion past the first trimester.

Even then, it isn't as immoral and damaging as bringing a child into the world irresponsibly, without any means of financial or emotional support or even a desire to be a parent.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Abortion past the first trimester.

Even then, it isn't as immoral and damaging as bringing a child into the world irresponsibly, without any means of financial or emotional support or even a desire to be a parent.

Which is why there is adoption ... :)

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
See Humanae Vitae. The sexual act is per se reproductive. Contraceptives close off the sexual act to the possibility of reproduction.

csuguy

Based upon the OT, all forms of contraception could be labeled as sinful - for it undermines God's design for marriage and sex - to produce children. The first command God gave was to go forth and reproduce.

That said, one could also argue that this command's purpose has been fulfilled and is thus not necessary in today's advanced society, where it has become much less common for a child to die and people live considerably longer and there are much more of us than ever before. God desired for us to go forth and fill the earth, which we have done.

Although, I disagree with the idea of those who say we have too many people as it is - and who point to poverty, orphaned children, etc. as an example of this. We have more than enough resources for everyone, but no matter how many people (more or less) we will see these things - for people are corrupt and don't help their neighbors in need.

Overall though, I am undecided at present. I can see good points either way.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well, I don't consider abortion a "form of contraception," although it can of course be used as such. Setting that aside, I can't think of any form of birth control I'd consider "immoral." The greater immorality might be preventing or discouraging its use.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
None are immoral by themselves, because i do not consider abortion or abortifacts a contraceptive.

Now why they are being used could be considered immoral, but contraception itself is not immoral imo.

What are we calling contraception according to the op?

PureX

Any form of contraception that terminates a developing human being is immoral, in my opinion. However, no one can be certain of exactly when this developmental human condition begins. I would prefer to err on the side of respect for humanity, and say it begins at the time of conception. But that doesn't give me the right to make that decision for other people.

Forms of contraception that prohibit fertilization, I think are morally acceptable.

oatmeal

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Contraception, as in preventing pregnancy?

None.

Woman was made as a companion for man.

Not as a baby making machine.

With the accomplished works of Jesus Christ, the need for children to produce a redeemer has been accomplished.

Marriage is for a man and wife. If they choose to have a family, then children is their choice.

Abortion is not contraception.

laemtao

IMJerusha

I would say that depends on the standard of morality being used.

If one uses God's plan or standard of morality (defined as principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior) a woman is to only have sexual relations with her husband and vice versa as Yeshua defined a marriage to be between. There is nothing in Scripture that identifies any form of contraception acceptable within that relationship. Indeed, the command of God is to be fruitful and multiply.

If one uses man's current accepted standard of morality (the term "current" correctly implying man's ever-changing standard, whereas God's does not) there are many methods of contraception (contraception being defined as the deliberate use of artificial methods or other techniques to prevent pregnancy).

Cruciform

ARTIFICIAL CONTRACEPTION: The use of mechanical, chemical, or medical procedures to prevent conception from taking place as a result of sexual intercourse; contraception offends against the openness to procreation required of marriage and also the inner truth [or meaning] of conjugal love [glossary of the Catechism of the Catholic Church].

CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH:
2369 By safeguarding both these essential aspects, the unitive and the procreative, the conjugal act preserves in its fruitfulness the sense of true mutual love and its orientation toward man's exalted vocation to parenthood...

2370 ...In contrast, every action which, whether in anticipation of the conjugal act, or in its accomplishment, or in the development of its natural consequences, proposes, as an end or as a means, to render procreation impossible is intrinsically evil.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Certainly any that act as abortifacients, and abortion itself if we're counting all things people use as birth control [outside of abstinence and chastity].

As for those that are intended only to prevent fertilization and cannot act as abortifacients I am not sure what I think there; I have yet to form a firm stance on those.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Certainly any that act as abortifacients, and abortion itself if we're counting all things people use as birth control [outside of abstinence and chastity].

As for those that are intended only to prevent fertilization and cannot act as abortifacients I am not sure what I think there; I have yet to form a firm stance on those.

Get into a relationship, it helps clarify things.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Or, at least, that is the goal :p

It's not a matter of "goals." Think of it like this:

Why do you eat and drink? There are two answers: 1. to gain nourishment. 2. because there is a natural impulse towards the objects of eating and drinking.

Consider:

1. I am eating this candy bar because I need 200 more calories to sustain my weight.

2. I am eating this candy bar because I am hungry. Hunger is a natural impulse which is satisfied by food.

When I say that sex is per se reproductive, I don't mean it in the sense of 1. I mean it in the sense of 2.

Just as the act of eating proceeds from a certain power of the soul (the nutritive, let's say) and is prompted by a natural impulse (hunger), so too in the case of sex.

It is a natural impulse which proceeds from a power of the soul, and it is an impulse for its proper object. As hunger is to food, so is the sexual appetite towards its proper object, namely, the sexual act.

When you analyze the natural impulse, you'll see what the soul power is oriented towards: the perpetuation of the species. What food is to the individual, so is sexual intercourse is for the species.

The act is per se reproductive in the sense that the act proceeds from a natural impulse of the soul, and the power of the soul is that of reproducing the species. It is a power which is teleologically oriented towards producing a new individual.

Can the act be rendered infertile in this case? Yes. But that doesn't change the nature of the soul power, of the natural impulse or of the act itself which proceeds from the two.

Dena

Based upon the OT, all forms of contraception could be labeled as sinful - for it undermines God's design for marriage and sex - to produce children. The first command God gave was to go forth and reproduce.

If you have at least two children then you have reproduced. You do not have to have as many as your body will allow in order to adhere to that commandment.

I wouldn't say there are immoral forms of birth control. Judaism encourages birth control pills more so than anything else. I don't like taking a bunch of unnecessary hormones so I won't use them.

Dena

It's not a matter of "goals." Think of it like this:

1. I am eating this candy bar because I need 200 more calories to sustain my weight.

2. I am eating this candy bar because I am hungry. Hunger is a natural impulse which is satisfied by food.

I eat the candy car because I like chocolate.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I eat the candy car because I like chocolate.

Why? Appetition follows upon apprehension. You pursue or avoid because you perceive or know. If you like chocolate (consider it desirable), this is only because you are apprehending the chocolate under some notion or aspect. What notion of the chocolate bar do you have, or under what aspect are you considering the chocolate bar, which makes it desirable?

Presumably, you perceive it as good for you, or as conferring some benefit.

If you were an angel, you presumably would not consider chocolate to be an object of appetition. You wouldn't binge eat on chocolate bars.

The reason you consider a chocolate bar to be an object of appetition is because you conceive it as good for you in some respect. The reason for this is because you are conceiving of the chocolate bar as food, to which you have a natural impulse. But the natural impulse is teleological: it is impulse for food for the sake of nourishment.