toldailytopic: What does God expect from you?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Thanks, I should've gone that step further. What I meant was God requires perfection, but He knows we cant do it, so he provided a means for us to be saved by perfecting us. I wasn't very clear but I figured Christians would follow it.
:thumb:

dreadknought

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 6th, 2012 12:51 PM

............ pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. I urge you in the sight of God who gives life to all things, and before Christ Jesus who witnessed the good confession before Pontius Pilate, that you keep this commandment without spot, blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ's appearing....... 1 Timothy 6:11-14

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I took the liberty to weave a number of scriptures together with some of my own words to provide a reply, as the scriptures are replete with some of God’s expectations, as what I see He expects of me this is what I believe.

• That I love the LORD your God with all my heart, soul, and strength. As Jesus said, "And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength. This is the first commandment." Mark 12:30.
  • I believe it is also to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep myself unspotted from the world.
  • Further expectations, to "Honor your father and mother," it is the first commandment with a promise, "that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth."
  • Then as a husband, love Mrs Psalmist and be not bitter toward her, as Christ loves the church; and that I not provoke our children, lest they become discouraged.
  • That to be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ forgave me, is right up there with the first commandment as in Mark 12:30.
  • As Sky posted, that I aspire to lead a quiet life, minding my own business, and to work the work you have been given to do.
From the Psalms I see these as these as self expectations.

That I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth; and to fret not because of evildoers, nor be envious of the workers of iniquity. To trust in the LORD, and do good; and to delight myself also in the LORD, to commit my way to the LORD, and to trust also in Him, resting in the LORD, and waiting patiently for Him.

To make a joyful shout to the LORD, and serve the LORD with gladness; to come before His presence with singing, entering into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise, to be thankful to Him, and bless His name. Because the the LORD is good; His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations.​

Nang

TOL Subscriber
To enjoy him and glorify him forever. Such is the reason we were created.

Spoiler

Q. 1. What is meant by man’s chief end?
A. That which ought to be man’s chief aim and design; and that which he should seek after as his chief happiness.

Q. 2. What ought to be man’s chief aim and design?
A. The glory of God. 1 Chron. 16:28, 29 — “Give unto the Lord, ye kindreds of the people, — give unto the Lord the glory due unto his name.”

Q. 3. What should he seek after as his chief happiness?
A. The enjoyment of God. Isaiah 26:8 — “The desire of our soul is to thy name, and the remembrance of thee.”

Q. 4. What connexion is there between the glorifying God, and the enjoyment of him?
A. They are connected by rich and sovereign grace, persuading and enabling the sinner to embrace Jesus Christ as the only way to God and glory. Eph. 2:8 — “By grace are ye saved, through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God.” John 14:6 — “I,” says Christ, “am the way; no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

Q. 5. Does the chief end exclude subordinate ends?
A. No; for, in aiming principally at the glory of God, men may use the supports of natural life for refreshing their bodies. 1 Cor. 10:31; and be diligent in their particular callings, that they may provide for themselves and their families, 1 Thess. 4:11, 12; 1 Tim. 5:8.

Q. 6. Why ought the glory of God to be the chief end and design of man?
A. Because it is God’s chief end in man’s creation, preservation, redemption, and regeneration. Proverbs 16:4 — “The Lord hath made all things for himself;” and therefore it ought to be man’s chief end likewise. 1 Cor. 6:19, 20 — “Ye are not your own; for ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.”

Q. 7. How manifold is the glory of God?
A. Twofold; his essential and his declarative glory.

Q. 8. What is God’s essential glory?
A. It is what he is absolutely in himself. Exod. 3:14 — “I Am That I Am.”

Q. 9. What is his declarative glory?
A. His showing, or making known his glory, to, in, and by his creatures, Isaiah 44:23; 2 Thess. 1:10.

Q. 10. Can any creature whatsoever add any thing to God’s essential glory?
A. No; for his essential glory is infinite, eternal, and unchangeable, Job 35:7.

Q. 11. Do not the heavens and the earth, and all inferior creatures, glorify God?
A. Yes; in a passive way, all his works praise him. Psalm 19:1, and 145:10.

Q. 12. How ought man to glorify God?
A. Man being endued with a reasonable soul, ought to glorify God in an active way, Psalm 63:4, by declaring his praise, Psalm 103:1, 2; and essaying to give him the glory due to his name, Psalm 96:7, 8.

Q. 13. How was man to glorify God in a state of innocence?
A. By a perfect, personal, and perpetual obedience to his law, Gen. 1:27; and by giving him the glory of all his works, chap. 2:19.

Q. 14. Has man answered his chief end?
A. No; for, “all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God,” Rom. 3:23.

Q. 15. Has God then lost his end in making man?
A. No; for God will glorify his justice and power upon some, and his grace and mercy upon others of Adam’s family, Rom. 9:22, 23.

Q. 16. Was ever God glorified by a perfect obedience since Adam’s fall?
A. Never, until CHRIST, the second Adam, appeared as a new covenant head, Isaiah 42:21, and 49:3.

Q. 17. How did Christ, the second Adam, glorify God, as our surety and representative on earth?
A. By finishing the work the Father gave him to do. John 17:4.

Q. 18. What was the work the Father gave him to do?
A. It was to assume a holy human nature, Luke 1:35; to yield a perfect sinless obedience to the whole law, Mat. 3:15; and to give a complete satisfaction to justice, for man’s sin, by his meritorious sufferings and death, Luke 24:26.

Q. 19. How does Christ glorify God in heaven?
A. By appearing in the presence of God for us, Heb. 9:24, and applying, by the power of his Spirit, that redemption which he purchased by the price of his blood on earth, Titus 3:5, 6.

Q. 20. When is it that a sinner begins uprightly to aim at the glory of God?
A. When, through a faith of God’s operation, he believes in Christ: Acts 8:37, 39. — “The eunuch answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God. — And he went on his way rejoicing.”

Q. 21. Can no man glorify God acceptably, unless he first believe in Christ?
A. No; for, “Without faith it is impossible to please him.” Heb. 11:6; and, “Whatsoever is not of faith is sin,” Rom. 14:23.

Q. 22. How is it that faith in Christ glorifies God?
A. As it sets its seal to the record of God, John 3:33; and unites us to Christ, from whom only our fruit is found, Hos. 14:8.

Q. 23. Is not God glorified by the good works of believers?
A. Yes; “herein,” says Christ, “is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit,” John 15:8.

Q. 24. What are these fruits brought forth by believers, by which God is glorified?
A. They may be summed up in faith working by love, Gal. 5:6; or, their aiming, in the strength of Christ, at universal obedience to the law, as the rule of duty. Phil. 4:13 — “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”

Q. 25. How should we glorify God in eating and drinking?
A. By taking a right to the supports of natural life, through the second Adam, the heir of all things, who has purchased a covenant right to temporal, as well as spiritual mercies, for his people, 1 Cor. 3:21-23; and thankfully acknowledging God for the same, 1 Tim. 4:4, 5.

Q. 26. How must we glorify God in our religious worship, and other acts of obedience?
A. By doing all that we do in the name of the Lord Jesus, Col. 3:17; worshipping God in the Spirit, rejoicing in Christ Jesus, and having no confidence in the flesh, Phil. 3:3.

Q. 27. What is it, next to the glory of God, we should aim at?
A. Next to God’s glory, we should aim at the enjoyment of him, Psalm 73:25, 26.

Q. 28. Why should we aim at the enjoyment of God?
A. Because he is the chief good of the rational creature, Psalm 116:7; and nothing else besides him, is either suitable to the nature, or satisfying to the desires of the immortal soul, Psalm 144:15.

Q. 29. How may a finite creature enjoy an infinite God?
A. By taking and rejoicing in him, as its everlasting and upmaking portion, Psalm 16:5, 6, and 48:14.

Q. 30. Did our first parents, in a state of innocence, enjoy God?
A. Yes; there was perfect friendship and fellowship between God and them; for, “God made man upright,” Eccl. 7:29.

Q. 31. What broke that blessed friendship and fellowship?
A. Sin: our iniquities have separated between us and our God, and our sins have hid his face from us, Isaiah 59:2.

Q. 32. Can a sinner, in a natural state, enjoy God, or have any fellowship with him?
A. No; for, “What communion hath light with darkness? and what concord hath Christ with Belial?” 2 Cor. 6:14, 15.

Q. 33. How may a lost sinner recover the enjoyment of God, and fellowship with him?
A. As we lost it by our fall in the first Adam, so it can only be recovered by union with a second Adam, Rom. 5:18-19; for there is no coming to God but by him, John 14:6.

Q. 34. When is it that a sinner begins to enjoy God?
A. When, having received Christ by faith, he rests upon him, and upon God in him, for righteousness and strength, Isaiah 45:24; and out of his fulness receives, and grace for grace, John 1:16

Q. 35. What are the external means by, or in which, we are to seek after the enjoyment of God?
A. In all the ordinances of his worship, public, private and secret; such as the word read and heard, the sacraments, prayer, meditation, fasting, thanksgiving, and the like.

Q. 36. Are the saints of God admitted to enjoy him in these?
A. Yes; they are the trysting-places where his name is recorded, and to which he has promised to come and bless them, Ex. 20:24 — “In all places where I record my name, I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee.”

Q. 37. What scripture-evidence have we, of their enjoying God in the duties and ordinances of his appointment?
A. We find them much employed in religious duties, Song 3:1-3; and expressing the utmost regard for the ordinances of his grace, Psalm 84:1, 2.

Q. 38. What satisfaction has the soul in the enjoyment of God?
A. Unspeakably more gladness than when corn, wine, and all earthly comforts, do most abound, Psalm 4:7

Q. 39. Is there any difference between the enjoyment of God in this life, and that which the saints shall obtain in the life to come?
A. Not an essential, but a gradual difference, as to the manner and measure of it.

Q. 40. What is the difference as to the manner of the enjoyment here and hereafter?
A. Here, the enjoyment is mediate, by the intervention of means; hereafter, it will be immediate, without any use of these means: “Now we see through a glass darkly; but then FACE TO FACE,” 1 Cor. 13:12.

Q. 41. What is the difference as to the measure of the enjoyment, in this life, and that which is to come?
A. In this life the enjoyment is only partial; in that which is to come, it will be full and complete, 1 John 3:2 — here, the enjoyment is only in the seed, or first fruits; there it will be in the full harvest, Psalm 126:5, 6.

Q. 42. Is the partial enjoyment of God in grace here, a sure pledge of the full enjoyment of him in glory hereafter?
A. It is both the pledge and earnest of it, Eph. 1:13, 14; Psalm 84:11.

Q. 43. Does the gracious soul, in that state, fully receive its chief end?
A. Yes; in regard that then it shall be brimful of God, and celebrate his praises with high and uninterrupted Hallelujahs through all eternity, Psalm 16:11; Isaiah 35:10.

Q. 44. Why is the glorifying God made the leading part of man’s chief end, and set before the enjoyment of him?
A. Because, as God’s design in glorifying himself was the reason and foundation of his design in making man happy in the enjoyment of him, Rom. 11:26; so he has made our aiming at his glory, as our chief end, to be the very way and means of our attaining to that enjoyment, Psalm 50:23.

Q. 45. Is our happiness, in the enjoyment of God, to be our chief end?
A. No; but the glory of God itself, Isaiah 42:8; in our aiming at which chiefly, we cannot miss the enjoyment of him, Psalm 91:14, 15.

Q. 46. Is not our delighting in the glory of God, to be reckoned our chief end?
A. No; we must set the glory of God above our delight therein, otherwise, our delight is not chiefly in God, but in ourselves, Isaiah 2:11. Our subjective delighting in the glory of God belongs to the enjoyment of him, whose glory is above the heavens, and infinitely above our delight therein, Psalm 113:4.

Q. 47. Whom does God dignify with the enjoyment of himself, in time and for ever?
A. Those whom he helps actively to glorify and honour him; for he has said, “Them that honour me, I will honour,” 1 Sam. 2:30.

Q. 48. Does any thing so much secure our happy enjoyment of God, as the concern that the glory of God has in it?
A. No; for as God cannot but reach the great end of his own glory, so, when he has promised us eternal life, in Christ, before the world began, Titus 1:2, we cannot come short of it; because it stands upon the honour of his faithfulness to make it good, Heb. 10:23 — “He is faithful that promised.”

Q. 49. How does it appear, that the enjoyment of God, which is connected with the glorifying of him, shall be for ever?
A. Because he who is the object enjoyed, is the everlasting God, Isaiah 40:28; and the enjoyment of him is not transitory, like the passing enjoyments of time, but the eternal enjoyment of the eternal God, Psalm 48:14.

SRC: Fisher's Exposition of the Westminster Shorter Catechism

AMR

Amen.

More and more, I feel sorrow for those who seem to want to follow Christ, but who have not been properly exposed to the teachings and thereby educated according to the early Protestant church fathers and their expositions of all basic Christian beliefs.

Knight's question is right on, and your answer is right on.

May God bless both the question and answer, to whom He wills to encourage to read and learn!

Nang

Caino

BANNED
Banned

To do his will, thats the only gift we can offer such a great God.

Caino

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

lesjude

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Romans 12:1-2

New King James Version (NKJV)
Living Sacrifices to God

12 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Luke 14:25-27

Leaving All to Follow Christ

25 Now great multitudes went with Him. And He turned and said to them, 26 “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. 27 And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.

Matthew 7:21-24

I Never Knew You

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
Build on the Rock

24 “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock:
"These sayings of Mine" refers to all of Matthew 5, 6, and 7

Matthew 22:37-40

37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

1 John 5:1-3

5 Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves Him who begot also loves him who is begotten of Him. 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

Hebrews 11:6

6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
Examples of the faith expected:
Hebrews 11:17-19

17 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, 18 of whom it was said, “In Isaac your seed shall be called,”[a] 19 concluding that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead, from which he also received him in a figurative sense.

Job 13:15

15 Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him.

Even so, I will defend my own ways before Him.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Integrity......

Integrity......

What is natural according to one's true nature and potential.

To be a decent, innocent, kind, respectful, just, responsible human being.

pj