toldailytopic: What do you think of certain cold medicines having to be purchased at

noguru

I think they have no business tying sales to individuals. They should just sell one box at a time. It would be very rare that anyone would legitimately need more than one, and if it happened, they could stop in again the next day, or at another store.

Or just skip the limits all together. I just don't think everyone should have to be inconvenienced because a few people are idiots.

I agree with you about that.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Are you sure you do??? Luke 19:27

Matthew 13:22

22 Now he who received seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful.

SilenceInMotion

BANNED
Banned
It's better just to ride out a cold then take medicine. Taking away the symptoms keeps your body from ejecting the virus, and prolongs the cold.
If anything, go with multivitamins or zinc.

Anyways, most otc medications are not necessary and most of them are not good for you, particularly the liver.
So as it goes for me, I think they are simply a problem all the way around. I personally think it would have been a good idea to have kept all medicine at pharmacies. It's just not healthy to be dependent on medicine every single time one coughs or sneezes, let alone abusing such substances for a thrill.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Execute wrath does not mean kill. Execute simply means to carry out.

Note that neither the NASB version nor the NIV include the word execute.

4 for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.

This is the problem when you try to read the Bible in a single translation, with your own desires to make the text say what it does not.
What do you think "wrath" means?

I didn't post that verse for the word "execute." Maybe you should try not jumping to conclusions.

The context of the passage is governmental authority. It does not say government should kill everyone for every offense, merely that government has that authority.
I never said, nor implied, that it said the government should execute every criminal. How stupid are you?

How you guys are getting Christian theocracy out of this when Paul is talking about Rome is beyond me.
Who said anything about extrapolating theocracy out of that?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I do not want any substance controlled by the government.
I don't know that I would say "any". I'd have to think that one through.
But I do think the government has stuck their hand in a whole lot of places it ought not be.

Layla

Do you apply this same line of reasoning to considering every other proposed solution to a problem? Because, you know, proposing a solution kinda implies that solution isn't already in place. Else you wouldn't be proposing that it be put in place.

I apply it to all those that are ridiculous and insane? I mean, the DP for all crime would prob lower crime rate, but it's... nonsense... so why bother suggesting it?

Layla, this is an odd argument to level against something you already admitted would be effective. I'm sure you could think of lots of other reasons not to make meth production/distribution a capital crime if you didn't think it would have a significant impact. So why exactly are you arguing against it then? This strikes me as grasping for straws or something. :idunno:

Firstly, I didn't say it would be effective. I said making every crime DP would sure cut crime. I am unconvinced of the effectiveness of the DP as a deterrent (though I don't have any moral issue with it).

Secondly, I don't even think drugs should be illegal to be honest. I haven't brought this in cause it's another argument for another thread.

Thirdly... I'm not really arguing against it? I'm saying arguing about it is pointless. I am abdicating argument!

Are these people not at least partly responsible for the death and horror meth addicts suffer? Is death so unjust a punishment for what these people do?

No. What people do to their own bodies is up to them. I mean, if they're selling crack to impressionable 13 year olds then that's something else, but adults are... adults. They make their own choices. Shrug. As I said... that's really an argument for another thread.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Meth dealers and meth "cookers" should be swiftly put to death.

That would end the epidemic instantly.

What next? Will selling pots and pans be regulated because meth cookers use them to cook meth?

:doh: No, Knight. Fire and heat will be regulated and eventually banned. The gooberment is getting smarter- I imagine they'll just go to the source.

Maybe we should just put Prometheus on trial...:think:

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I apply it to all those that are ridiculous and insane? I mean, the DP for all crime would prob lower crime rate, but it's... nonsense... so why bother suggesting it?
"That's ridiculous and insane" is no better an argument than "that'll never happen." One should bother suggesting a solution because it may well work.

Firstly, I didn't say it would be effective. I said making every crime DP would sure cut crime. I am unconvinced of the effectiveness of the DP as a deterrent (though I don't have any moral issue with it).

Secondly, I don't even think drugs should be illegal to be honest. I haven't brought this in cause it's another argument for another thread.

Thirdly... I'm not really arguing against it? I'm saying arguing about it is pointless. I am abdicating argument!

No. What people do to their own bodies is up to them. I mean, if they're selling crack to impressionable 13 year olds then that's something else, but adults are... adults. They make their own choices. Shrug. As I said... that's really an argument for another thread.
Well, I argued the death penalty for meth production and distribution. I think it'd be quite appropriate for you to argue that the death penalty isn't effective and that drugs shouldn't be outlawed in the first place. Those are pretty good reasons not to make meth cooking/selling a capital crime. I'd argue that, if I was on your side of this issue. :idunno:

That said, if you're abdicating argument...have a nice day then?

PureX

Well, I argued the death penalty for meth production and distribution. I think it'd be quite appropriate for you to argue that the death penalty isn't effective and that drugs shouldn't be outlawed in the first place. Those are pretty good reasons not to make meth cooking/selling a capital crime. I'd argue that, if I was on your side of this issue.
Just as an aside, I don't think dysfunction would be the main argument against the death penalty in this case. The main argument would be that the death penalty would itself be a greater crime against society than the crime it intends to punish.

noguru

Just as an aside, I don't think dysfunction would be the main argument against the death penalty in this case. The main argument would be that the death penalty would itself be a greater crime against society than the crime it intends to punish.

I think Mary would rather shoot first and ask questions later. But I could be wrong on that.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I honestly can't imagine executing a meth dealer or meth supplier as being equivalent, much less a worse crime than, either making meth or selling it to meth addicts.

Seriously, which is worse? Which would you rather, if you had to chose?

A) Sell meth to meth addicts
B) Execute someone who sells meth to meth addicts.

Both those options really, really suck. But I'd choose B. It's basically a choice between killing someone who poisons people for profit or poisoning people for profit yourself. How in the world can you say it's worse to execute meth dealers than it is to deal meth?
I think Mary would rather shoot first and ask questions later. But I could be wrong on that.
No. Certainly not. And I don't know where you even got that idea.

PureX

I honestly can't imagine executing a meth dealer or meth supplier as being equivalent, much less a worse crime than, either making meth or selling it to meth addicts.

Seriously, which is worse? Which would you rather, if you had to chose?

A) Sell meth to meth addicts
B) Execute someone who sells meth to meth addicts.

Both those options really, really suck. But I'd choose B. It's basically a choice between killing someone who poisons people for profit or poisoning people for profit yourself. How in the world can you say it's worse to execute meth dealers than it is to deal meth?
These are ridiculous questions. They don't represent reality at all.

My hardware store sells all sorts of poisons. No one blames the owner if some idiot chooses to drink it.

At some point we have to let the responsibility fall on the addict. I have dealt with addiction, and so I understand that it's an illness. But even still, what I did to myself, I did to myself. No one else made me do it.

Also, the idea of killing people because they do things that we don't like is insane. It works in TV shows because we know (or are supposed to know) that it's all make-believe, and because the writers are too often too lazy to find better ways of resolving the conflicts that their own story-lines have created. But in real life this would be an overwhelmingly destructive idea. Mostly because in real life violence begets more violence, and escalates as it does. It's both an irrational solution and a dysfunctional one.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
You know, if you guys really are comfortable with dismissing me as some kind of homicidal for advocating the death penalty, then I'm comfortable with accepting that as your conceding the argument.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
These are ridiculous questions. They don't represent reality at all.
Um...those questions represent what you just said.

So...yeah.
My hardware store sells all sorts of poisons. No one blames the owner if some idiot chooses to drink it.

At some point we have to let the responsibility fall on the addict. I have dealt with addiction, and so I understand that it's an illness. But even still, what I did to myself, I did to myself. No one else made me do it.
You're seriously arguing that? So if some suicidal person asks to borrow my gun so they can blow their head off...and I rent it to them for $100 bucks, take my money and even stand there and watch...I've done nothing wrong?

For realz, dude?

And, while we're at it, where do you come down on gun control? Should every adult be allowed to own an assault rifle? Because, at some point, we have to let the responsibility fall on the gun owner. What point, though?
Also, the idea of killing people because they do things that we don't like is insane.
Hey, you know what? This is a dishonest argument. No one is advocating the death penalty for anything because "I don't like that." If I were here advocating hard labor for drug dealing, or two years in the pen', or even a literal slap on the wrist and a stern talking to...you wouldn't be making this insulting claim.

It works in TV shows because we know (or are supposed to know) that it's all make-believe, and because the writers are too often too lazy to find better ways of resolving the conflicts that their own story-lines have created. But in real life this would be an overwhelmingly destructive idea. Mostly because in real life violence begets more violence, and escalates as it does. It's both an irrational solution and a dysfunctional one.
Explain how executing murderers is going to beget more violence and even escalate it. Yes, seriously.

noguru

You know, if you guys really are comfortable with dismissing me as some kind of homicidal for advocating the death penalty, then I'm comfortable with accepting that as your conceding the argument.

I'm not conceding anything of the sort. You have not demonstrated that such illegal actions are best solved using the death penalty. It may eliminate many of the lives of people who would do such a thing, but is that our goal as a society?

And I would even be willing to consider the death penalty for second or third offense drug manufacturing and/or sales. But that would only be the case if one could prove a flagrant disregard for human life. The same could also be said for bartenders who serve their patrons to a point of obvious intoxication, however. Of course a bartender can't know who is or who is not driving amongst all their patrons. As you see we are getting into many grey areas here, and the previous legal precedent in the US has been pretty good at ironing all this out without resorting to a death penalty for things other than murder. In my opinion rape and pedophilia should be on that list of capital offenses before drug use.