toldailytopic: What do you suppose God thinks of the Catholic Church?

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Thanks annab for your apology. I responded in the wrong frame of mind, and I am sorry as well!!

The post was meant to make folks giggle...

:sigh:

Sheila B

Been taking in a men's group study on Sat. mornings.

This morning I learned that Christ asked Peter if he loved Him. Christ used agape for the word love and Peter in return said yes he loved Him but used Filia? or brotherly love.

The second time went the same but the third time Christ used the "brotherly" love term while Peter used the same.

After 67 years I learned something new about the bible today.

Did you know that that set of questions and answers went that way?

tWINs

Jesus stoops down to our level and lets us have the love we can tolerate. We would be blown over by His agape if He unleashed it upon us! The good news is He is giving us new hearts!

Sheila B

Most likely, He would say "I gave them the seat of Moses so do as they say but not as they do." Or something to that effect.

Breathe

I don't know a lot about Catholicism, but I do know one thing: they believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Since that is what we must believe in order to be saved, why does everyone worry about the other stuff?

jwp98

The hat distracts me from seeing the person of Jesus the Christ. The whole institution does, in fact. Shame.

Pretending to have a clue about the mind of God, I'd say He loves the Church and wants it to reform. Not so far fetched a thought for any of us.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I don't know a lot about Catholicism, but I do know one thing: they believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Since that is what we must believe in order to be saved, why does everyone worry about the other stuff?

good question

Cruciform

Only in certain Christian sects are the laity kept uninformed by the clergy.
  • First, the Catholic Church is not a "sect," but is the original Church founded by Christ, of which all other Christian groups are but sects.
  • Second, your statement is simply a Straw Man Fallacy, since this in no way accurately describes the Catholic Church.
  • Third---just out of curiosity---how, precisely, do you imagine that "the laity are kept uninformed by the clergy" in the Catholic Church?
Other Christian sects realize it is the duty of each believer to become informed of the Bible and not be swayed by every wind of doctrine.
They may realize this as a duty, but unfortunately have no practical method for ensuring that believers are not, in fact, swayed by every wind of doctrine. The historic Catholic Church, however, possesses an infallible Magisterium to guide and teach the faithful. It is the established doctrines of the Church, and not every wind of individual lay opinion, which theologically and morally informs believers.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Absolutely.
He pretends to be true (Matt. 7:22, 23). All say no play (Jude 1:12) . :sharri:

"One of the most unbelievable, yet fiercely held, traditions of the Roman Catholic Church is its dogma of transubstantiation. First pronounced at the Fourth Lateran Council in l2l5 AD, it declares the entire substance of bread and wine is transformed into the actual body and blood of the Lord Jesus Christ Each Catholic priest is said to have the Spirit's power to call Jesus down from heaven through this miracle of transubstantiation. Thus Jesus becomes physically present on Catholic altars so that priests can offer Him again to the Father for the sins of the living and the dead. After the offering, God is eaten by Catholics when they ingest the Eucharist. Without question, the Roman Catholic Church regards Christ's real presence in the Eucharist a dogma of utmost importance. According to paragraph1324 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC), the Eucharist is "the source and summit of the Christian life." It teaches us: "the body and blood, together with the soul and divinity, of our Lord Jesus Christ and, therefore, the whole Christ is truly, really, and substantially contained" in the Eucharist (CCC, 1374). This is a non-negotiable dogma because the Council of Trent placed a curse or anathema on anyone who does not believe it (Canon 1). Furthermore, Catholics must consume the Eucharist because it is a necessary requirement for their salvation (CCC, 1359). If Catholic priests can indeed change bread and wine into the body and blood of the infinite Christ, and if indeed consuming His body and blood is necessary for salvation, then the whole world must become Roman Catholic to be saved from the wrath of God..." Full text: Proclaiming the Gospel Ministries, Newsletter Vol. 16.

Breathe

And this is more important than accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior how?
Seriously, I don't see this as keeping someone who believes from salvation. All faiths feel that those who do not believe as they do are bound for hell, but Protestants and Catholics alike agree on the divine nature of Christ - which our own Bible tells us is the way to be saved.
He pretends to be true (Matt. 7:22, 23). All say no play (Jude 1:12) . :sharri:

"One of the most unbelievable, yet fiercely held, traditions of the Roman Catholic Church is its dogma of transubstantiation. First pronounced at the Fourth Lateran Council in l2l5 AD, it declares the entire substance of bread and wine is transformed into the actual body and blood of the Lord Jesus Christ Each Catholic priest is said to have the Spirit's power to call Jesus down from heaven through this miracle of transubstantiation. Thus Jesus becomes physically present on Catholic altars so that priests can offer Him again to the Father for the sins of the living and the dead. After the offering, God is eaten by Catholics when they ingest the Eucharist. Without question, the Roman Catholic Church regards Christ's real presence in the Eucharist a dogma of utmost importance. According to paragraph1324 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC), the Eucharist is "the source and summit of the Christian life." It teaches us: "the body and blood, together with the soul and divinity, of our Lord Jesus Christ and, therefore, the whole Christ is truly, really, and substantially contained" in the Eucharist (CCC, 1374). This is a non-negotiable dogma because the Council of Trent placed a curse or anathema on anyone who does not believe it (Canon 1). Furthermore, Catholics must consume the Eucharist because it is a necessary requirement for their salvation (CCC, 1359). If Catholic priests can indeed change bread and wine into the body and blood of the infinite Christ, and if indeed consuming His body and blood is necessary for salvation, then the whole world must become Roman Catholic to be saved from the wrath of God..." Full text: Proclaiming the Gospel Ministries, Newsletter Vol. 16.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"So a biased web site is the best proof you can find...Why not look at true Catholic doctrine and make your case..."
Mike Gendron was a Roman Catholic for over 30 years. :eek:linger: He know what he's talking about. :poly:

See:

Vid. Catholicism vs Christianity by Mike Gendron

"...nstead of relying on negative propaganda?"

He's either right or he's wrong (Jude 11). If he's wrong, it's negative. If he's right, it's positive (Ro 1:16). :rolleyes: You'll thank him later. :mario:

Last edited:

Cruciform

He pretends to be true. All say no play.
Already answered (Post #70). :yawn:

Let's see... Should we follow the established teachings of Christ's own historic Church, or serpent's personal preferences and theological opinions? Hmmm... :think:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
Tradition really is the worst enemy of the Catholic Church. One can see why they hold to it, however, because they are under a lot of watchful eyes and adherents. To change a decree or standing is not so easy to do.
With that being said, the Church should still realize their duties as being an establishment of faith and endure such. I feel that they have been lazy in that department.

Breathe

All I'm saying is - if you feel so strongly about it, surely you can find a factual website, as opposed to one that is obviously biased. Look at Catholic doctrine for yourself. If I were dead set against something, it would not be because someone told me that I should be, but because I have looked at the facts, and logically reached a conclusion from a balanced and unbiased viewpoint.

Mike Gendron was a Roman Catholic for over 30 years. :eek:linger: He know what he's talking about. :poly:

See:

Vid. Catholicism vs Christianity by Mike Gendron

He's either right or he's wrong (Jude 11). If he's wrong, it's negative. If he's right, it's positive (Ro 1:16). :rolleyes: You'll thank him later. :mario:

Cruciform

Mike Gendron was a Roman Catholic for over 30 years. He know what he's talking about.
...or not. Like many Protestants concerning their own faith, most lay Catholics don't really know what the Church teaches or why. If he now mistrepresents Catholic teaching as a Protestant, it's clear that he had no genuine understanding of Catholic doctrine or practice to begin with.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+