toldailytopic: What do you suppose God thinks of the Catholic Church?

IXOYE

Parody of what, though? That was my point. What does Catholicism actually teach that the show was parodying?

I think it parodies what us Protestants call the church, which would be us and you and Anglicans too. (Etc...)

I funk they did ot under the structure of RCC simply because it has a structure that offers so many characters. So ifs a jab at the same folks the book unChristian takes a stab at, which hos most of us.

But, at least they made it funny, unlike some of the quacks the History Channel puts on as experts proclaiming special,ukative fiction thoughts as reality.

john w

Hall of Fame
I do read the Bible. I do believe the Bible. I don't believe that popes and priests are always right about everything and can do no wrong.

So, either you have no idea what you're talking about or none of what you said applies to me anyway. Or both.

No,you believe the bible, as long as it agrees what the "Cardinals"(whatever that is), in concert with what the "Magisterium"(whatever that is),"popes"(whatever that is)says it says.

The Queen to Alice: The word means what I say it means.

No, I know exactly what I am talking about, being a former Roman, and reading what they say, on record, that even a 6 year old can understand.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
...He is thinking:

"He who hears you hears Me."
Ga 1:8 :burnlib:

He that heareth you heareth me; and he that despiseth you despiseth me; and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me [Luke 10:10–16].

"Our Lord solemnly speaks of the seriousness of rejecting His messengers—to reject them was to reject Him." McGee, J. Vernon: Thru the Bible Commentary. electronic ed. Nashville : Thomas Nelson, 1997, c1981, S. 4:291

There aren't two gospels. :dizzy: There is one gospel of grace (Ac 20:24) not works (Eph 2:8-10). I say to you, he who hears My word, :poly: and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life (Jn 5:24).

Works are insufficient for salvation (Psa. 49:7, 8; Psa. 127:1, 2; Eccl. 1:14; Isa. 43:26; Isa. 57:12; Isa. 64:6; Ezek. 7:19; Ezek. 33:12–19; Dan. 9:18; Matt. 5:20; Luke 17:7–10; Luke 18:9–14; Acts 13:39; Rom. 3:20–31; Rom. 4:1–8 vs. 9–22.; Rom. 8:3; Rom. 9:16, 31, 32; Rom. 11:6; 1 Cor. 13:1–3; Gal. 2:16, 19, 21; Gal. 3:10–12, 21 vs. 1–29.; Gal. 4:9–11; Gal. 5:2, 4, 6, 18; Gal. 6:15; Eph. 2:8, 9; Phil. 3:3–9; Col. 2:20–23; 2 Tim. 1:9; Tit. 3:4, 5; Heb. 4:3–10; Heb. 6:1, 2; Heb. 9:1–14; Jas. 2:10, 11).

See:

Works vs. Faith

Last edited:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
And note that "you" here refers specifically to the ordained leaders of Christ's historic Church--not every individual layman...

You'll need Ps 138:2 to go away: You have magnified your word above all your name. God's word is the final word. :poly: The scriptures are full and sufficient (Lk 16:29,31), an unerring guide (Pr 6:23; 2 Pe 1:19), able to make men wise unto salvation through faith in Christ Jesus (2 Ti 3:15).

Love God with all your mind (Ps 104:34).

See:

Is the priesthood of all believers biblical? Does the New Testament teach that there should be a formal priesthood?

What does it mean that Jesus and believers are living stones in 1 Peter 2:4-5? How can a stone be alive?

What does 1 Peter 2:9 mean when it refers to believers as peculiar people?

Last edited:

Cruciform

You'll need Ps 138:2 to go away.
Now go ahead and indicate where this passage says a single thing about the theological opinions of laymen having any binding authority over believers whatsoever. (That was the subject under discussion, after all---or did you miss that part?) :yawn:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

genuineoriginal

Now go ahead and indicate where this passage says a single thing about the theological opinions of laymen having any binding authority over believers whatsoever. (That was the subject under discussion, after all---or did you miss that part?)
Only in certain Christian sects are the laity kept uninformed by the clergy.

Other Christian sects realize it is the duty of each believer to become informed of the Bible and not be swayed by every wind of doctrine.

eameece

To suppose we can know what God "thinks" is a bit presumptuous. It seems likely that "God" does not pass judgement on groups of people.

bucksplasher

No,you believe the bible, as long as it agrees what the "Cardinals"(whatever that is), in concert with what the "Magisterium"(whatever that is),"popes"(whatever that is)says it says.

The Queen to Alice: The word means what I say it means.

No, I know exactly what I am talking about, being a former Roman, and reading what they say, on record, that even a 6 year old can understand.

Been taking in a men's group study on Sat. mornings.

This morning I learned that Christ asked Peter if he loved Him. Christ used agape for the word love and Peter in return said yes he loved Him but used Filia? or brotherly love.

The second time went the same but the third time Christ used the "brotherly" love term while Peter used the same.

After 67 years I learned something new about the bible today.

Did you know that that set of questions and answers went that way?

tWINs

organiccornflake

To reply to the original question... I think, considering its been so long since jesus left, Catholicism has remained surprisingly steady. However, I do think that the bible promotes a more personal and intimate relationship with god, that of which is not encouraged near enough by the catholic church...I like the pope's hat, though. Its nice. It has some class.