toldailytopic: What do you suppose God thinks of the Catholic Church?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
No.. it sounds that God cares not for your 'church'.

He also never promised us safety.. he promised us the exact opposite if we truly followed him. So fleeing from the trials and tribulations appointed to the early church was dishonoring him.

so where is His Church now?

HisServant

so where is His Church now?

Those that he continues to call and indwell with his Holy Spirit... just look around you for people that exhibit Christ.

I know its hard for you because you have been conditioned to look to other humans and institutions for guidance.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Those that he continues to call and indwell with his Holy Spirit... just look around you for people that exhibit Christ.

I know its hard for you because you have been conditioned to look to other humans and institutions for guidance.

they are Christians who are supposed to go to church
so
where is His Church?

HisServant

so
where is His Church?

The scriptures never say anything about church... it only says something about christians gathering together in groups periodically.

As a matter of fact the current accepted definition of the word church would be alien to the 1st century christians.

So why are you stuck on terms that have nothing to do with being a christian?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
The scriptures never say anything about church... it only says something about christians gathering together in groups periodically.

As a matter of fact the current accepted definition of the word church would be alien to the 1st century christians.

So why are you stuck on terms that have nothing to do with being a christian?

let's see

keep the sabath
gather in His name
do this in remembrance of Me
feed His sheep
one flock, one shepherd
built His Church on a rock

did you always have trouble connecting the dots?

HisServant

let's see

keep the sabath
gather in His name
feed His sheep
one flock, one shepherd

Jesus never asked us to connect the dots. He taught very plainly to the intended audience to get his points across.

I never remember Jesus teaching a single sermon that pulled all those topic of yours together like that.

I guess in your mind, he wasn't that good of a teacher... ?

Krsto

so
where is His Church?

Actually, the bible says nothing about "going to church." It says to not forsake the gathering together of the brethren, but in your church (and 99% of churches), there is no real "together" because you all sit and stare at the backs of people's heads. There is no "together" in terms of ministry to each other, being a part of each other's lives, praying for one another, edifying one another, teaching one another, admonishing one another, rebuking one another, iron sharpening iron, each one excercising the gift of the Spirit God has given for each to edify the rest (most have no idea what their spiritual gift is). No, quite to the contrary, you hire professionaly trained people to do those things for you so you all face forward and listen to him or you get an appointment to see him privately. You are not "gathering together," just occupying the same room. Anything that could be considered "gathering together" happens AFTER church, like at the mid-week bible studies or after church potlucks or the social hour in the fellowship hall. I don't know how many times I'm having good fellowship with someone before church and we keep talking while church starts and someone says "Hey, church has started," and I say, "I'm having church right here but if I go in there (the sanctuary) I won't be having church. I'll just be singing songs and listening to one dude teach."

Chrys, you keep asking "where is the church" and think you have found it but you really should be asking, "Does this even qualify as "a church."

It doesn't.

Krsto

Originally Posted by chrysostom
let's see

keep the sabath
gather in His name
feed His sheep
one flock, one shepherd

Jesus never asked us to connect the dots. He taught very plainly to the intended audience to get his points across.

I never remember Jesus teaching a single sermon that pulled all those topic of yours together like that.

I guess in your mind, he wasn't that good of a teacher... ?

Well, to be fair, if we believe the bible to be inspired then we are going to pull together all that is taught on a particular subject in order to teach the "whole counsel of God," but having done so chrys's compilation does not lead us to conclude anything about "going to church," as has been practised for hundreds of years. "Connecting the dots" would lead to what you and I believe about house churches which actually gather together rather than just occupy the same space while listening to a preacher.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
can you just picture this guy in his home where they meet every sunday with more converts each week saying
'can we meet in your home next week?'
you can imagine the silence
then someone suggests
'why don't we build a church big enough for us all?'

HisServant

can you just picture this guy in his home where they meet every sunday with more converts each week saying
then someone suggests

A godly man would say that they should split up into smaller groups and continue networking out.

If God wanted us to build churches, he would have left detailed plans.. quite like the exacting plans he dictated to Israel for their temple.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
God destroyed the second temple
and
there will not be a third one
Wrong. "A rebuilt temple will exist during the time of the Tribulation (Dan. 9:27; 12:11; Matt. 24:15; 2 Thess. 2:4)." MacArthur, John Jr: The MacArthur Study Bible. electronic ed. Nashville : Word Pub., 1997, c1997, S. Re 11:1

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
A godly man would say that they should split up into smaller groups and continue networking out.

If God wanted us to build churches, he would have left detailed plans.. quite like the exacting plans he dictated to Israel for their temple.

do you know anyone here that allows their home to be used every sunday?

HisServant

do you know anyone here that allows their home to be used every sunday?

My home is always open to family and friends. Quite like things were back in the new testament times.

I thank my parents and my in-laws for teaching my wife and I hospitality.

It also doesn't have to be every Sunday... the house church I am in rotates and sometimes we meet in public places like the spare room in the town library. We have also rented out the YMCA a few times for a whole group of home churches to get together a couple times a year.

It's really not a problem.

And now with cell phones and the web.. coordination couldn't be any simpler.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
My home is always open to family and friends. Quite like things were back in the new testament times.

I thank my parents and my in-laws for teaching my wife and I hospitality.

It also doesn't have to be every Sunday... the house church I am in rotates and sometimes we meet in public places like the spare room in the town library. We have also rented out the YMCA a few times for a whole group of home churches to get together a couple times a year.

It's really not a problem.

And now with cell phones and the web.. coordination couldn't be any simpler.

do you consider yourself qualified to lead a religious service?

Cruciform

Because they were apostles.
Likewise with the leaders of Christ's historic Church today---they are bishops, ordained successors to the apostles.

I don't see how I am being ignorant by observing a simple fact.
You reveal your ignorance of medieval history by parroting a piece of information that you haven't even begun to properly understand. Let's try this: Please list your documentary source (author, title, publisher, date) for the "facts" that you are proposing.

You are Catholic and feel you must defend the Church, even if it means bending the truth.
Again, this is an opinion delivered to you by your preferred Protestant sectarian anti-Catholic tradition, and you've chosen to believe it. Unfortunately for your position, it commits the ad hominem fallacy, and so is as irrelevant as it is entirely ineffectual. I can simply turn the "argument" back on you: "You are anti-Catholic, and feel you must defend your sectarian anti-Catholic tradition, even if it means bending the truth." (See how that works?)

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

HisServant

do you consider yourself qualified to lead a religious service?

I find that question irrevalent.. my feelings on the issue don't matter.

Religious services are an anathma in scripture.

I would also like to add that anyone that would say yes to your question is most definately not a christian and an outright liar because we serve at the behest of our Lord.

Krsto

then someone suggests

So what do you think they did up until it was legal to be a Christian and build buildings after the Edict of Toleration in 312 AD? What HisServant describes is how it was done. If they got too big they split up and created two churches out of one. If they needed to all meet together they would kind of "borrow" a bigger building, like hang out in Solomon's Porch even while the non-Christian Jews were there. Today, if you want to meet on Sunday, there are plenty of Adventist churches who would love a litte rental income on their building which is not used on Sunday morning since they meet on the Sabbath Day.