toldailytopic: What convinced you that the Bible is the word of God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ps82

But Nick believed before he ate the pudding.

Well, that depends on what is "The Pudding".
Do you think the Bible is the Pudding or do you believe that IT is the living God?

It is the Living God, who first reveals truth and revelation within the Bible. Without God, the Bible is incomprehensible to people and seems foolish.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
okay the original saying was

the proof of the pudding is in the eating

so the bible is the pudding
and
reading is the eating

am I going too fast?

the fact that so many read it is some kind of proof

Seydlitz77

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 23rd, 2010 11:30 AM

I know that this is going to sound odd for some of you and unfortunately I've only just popped in briefly today as I need to get ready for Christmas but here it is.

My original conviction that the Bible is the word of God came from reading the Book of Mormon, when I later read it myself it just reaffirmed that conviction and believe and it has been reaffirmed every time I read it.

Merry Christmas everyone! :)

Ps82

okay the original saying was

the proof of the pudding is in the eating

so the bible is the pudding
and
reading is the eating

am I going too fast?

the fact that so many read it is some kind of proof

Hi chrysostom,
Do you believe that God only speaks through the Bible today?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Hi chrysostom,
Do you believe that God only speaks through the Bible today?

I actually believe God only speaks through other people
and
that is why listening to you neighbor can be more important than reading the bible

Ps82

I know that this is going to sound odd for some of you and unfortunately I've only just popped in briefly today as I need to get ready for Christmas but here it is.

My original conviction that the Bible is the word of God came from reading the Book of Mormon, when I later read it myself it just reaffirmed that conviction and believe and it has been reaffirmed every time I read it.

Merry Christmas everyone! :)

Merry Christmas. A Mormon perspective may be interesting for me. Hope to discover the differences and similarities we may have.

fool

Hall of Fame
Well, that's a thought provoking question.

Since these people, including Nancy P. and most godless leaders, and followers of false gods don't know the ONE true God ... then I guess your own posting name might fit some of them.

Nancy and other godless leaders simply knew that people under them had written the HCR act in a manner to give government more power over our citizens ... she really wasn't fooled ... for she trusted her co-workers and understood the ultimate out come even without reading it. She just wanted to get it passed before anyone else read it and found out the truth.

Some people are misled by their culture ... but the REAL God can speak for himself... and I believe that He calls those he wishes.

I once watched Nancy try to convince people that she loved The WORD. By her own verbiage, she revealed that she did not have a clue of who or what was the WORD. It would have been really funny ... if it hadn't been so pitiful.

But we are drifting from the topic. I believe the WORD of God is inspired by God.

How can you tell which is the Word of God and which is an imposter?

fool

Hall of Fame
Well, that depends on what is "The Pudding".
Do you think the Bible is the Pudding or do you believe that IT is the living God?
You'll ave to ask Chrys about that pudding stuff.
It is the Living God, who first reveals truth and revelation within the Bible. Without God, the Bible is incomprehensible to people and seems foolish.
So you have to believe the Bible is the Word before it makes sense?

drbrumley

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 23rd, 2010 11:30 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The Holy Spirit

Ps82

I actually believe God only speaks through other people
and
that is why listening to you neighbor can be more important than reading the bible

Well, chrysostom, I believe that God speaks even today through his written Word; speaks through other people; speaks for himself in a still small voice, and in dreams and visions too.

I also like reading your responses and those of others too.
Merry Christmas.

Nydhogg

He is not. And that isn't why I called him a moron. His stupdity is independent from the lack of character he shows here.

I'm obviously not nice to you, or to the Christian Taliban clique. It'd be a waste of effort, and I'm not generally a people person.

I am nice, or at least I try to be, to most folks here. As a matter of fact, over 90% of the reps I get are positive.

Ps82

How can you tell which is the Word of God and which is an imposter?

If you are talking about how I know it's the voice of the Living God, then this is what I've discovered.

If the Word of God comes in a dream ... then it will be a short and to the point dream ... whose details cannot be quickly or easily forgotten. Usually the interpretation of the dream comes through personal contemplation and usually one finds that the interpretation fits the truth in scripture... sometime revelation come within the natural world when it comes true ... or revealed by a pastor, who interprets your dream during his Sunday sermon... etc.

If the Word of God comes to you in a still small voice ... it's harder ... but I've found it comes true ... and that is the evidence. For example: I heard a voice within my mind warning that I was going to be in a car wreck. I listened, just in case, and tried to do all the things I could think of to get home safely ... but the wreck happen anyway right at my house! Since then I've decided to PRAY about warnings ... something I did not think of at the time.

The neatest thing is when I've had a dream and the next morning on awaking the interpretation comes as a still small voice or as a sudden flood of scriptures that all fall into logical place that increases my understanding of a matter.

Once I prayed for help in a situation that was concerning me. The answer came the next morning in a short simple statement, and did not seem, at first, to be an answer to my specific prayer... but I decided to follow the suggestion and that prevented problems I may have had at work ... and, in fact, listening and following brought praise from my employer and victory in a situation. This proved to me that God knows my needs better than I do!

If it is an audible voice ... well, that was very confusing to me ... for years ago I only heard my name called twice on two occasions. No, other comments or anything were made then ... nor so far.

When reading the written word I find that, if God is showing me something, which He wants me to understand ... then He puts the scriptures together for me... then they help me understand other parts of the scripture. I also do not forget what I have read and can usually remember where I read it. This is happening to a person that has trouble quickly remembering the names of even my friends at times ... and who cannot remember from one Christmas to the next what gifts I got. IT'S A MIRACLE!

Meatball

I wasn't personally convinced until a little while ago, when I did my own research to learn about who wrote the scriptures, why they wrote them and how the Bible was assembled.

I then was more convinced by the time I discovered the number of consistent manuscripts available for comparison, and how the Dead Sea scrolls helped scholars determine the amount of accuracy in our Old Testaments.

And most recently, I was confounded to find the prophesies that describe the coming of the messiah- and how those accurate writings pre-date the time of Jesus' birth.

I always try to look for evidence that tests what the books say about themselves. That's just me being a snotty little physicist, and a good Berean.

I know you shouldn't NEED such scientific dating techniques to prove something like the Bible credibility, but it sure helps. Should you need it, the external evidence IS there! You just have to look for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.