toldailytopic: What convinced you that the Bible is the word of God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fool

Hall of Fame
Really?
Oh well, what is your answer to the thread question? Have one or just reading?

My answer is that I'm not convinced but most people would have figured that out.
How do you feel about NickM's answer?

Ps82

My answer is that I'm not convinced but most people would have figured that out.
How do you feel about NickM's answer?

I believe that people can be saved without reading the Bible. I was... but once saved then one has been given the gift of faith ... and can believe the scriptures are the inspired truth of God. That's what makes studying the Bible so inspiring to believers. We simple try to understand the magnitude of IT better - needing God's help, of course. Sometimes we fight against God's revelation ... and let the world's view try to steal truth away from us ... but still we seek.

Ps82

Who's mocking?
I'm astonished.

BTW, I've grown accustomed from many years of experience that atheists come to sites like this to simply have fun mocking believers. I've even had some of them to honestly admit to me that this is the truth.

The atheist experience makes me suspect of you. I'll just have to watch what you say to finally come to the truth.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have yet to be convinced as well. Actually why should I need to be convinced?

To say that one is unconvinced seems to me to imply that there is the possibility of being convinced at some point. If that possibility is there, and you apply that term (unconvinced) to yourself, would you then say that you are open to the idea of being convinced if sufficient evidence manifested itself to you?

Do you seek it, shun it, or neither?

Not being condescending, just curious.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
To say that one is unconvinced seems to me to imply that there is the possibility of being convinced at some point. If that possibility is there, and you apply that term (unconvinced) to yourself, would you then say that you are open to the idea of being convinced if sufficient evidence manifested itself to you?

Do you seek it, shun it, or neither?

Not being condescending, just curious.

I don't want to be convinced, I want undeniable proof.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
it is not the word of God

the Word was made flesh and dwelt amongst us

the bible was written by men
the books selected by men
translated by men
and
interpreted by men

we have to believe that some of them were inspired by God

I like this.

fool

Hall of Fame
I believe that people can be saved without reading the Bible. I was... but once saved then one has been given the gift of faith ... and can believe the scriptures are the inspired truth of God. That's what makes studying the Bible so inspiring to believers. We simple try to understand the magnitude of IT better - needing God's help, of course. Sometimes we fight against God's revelation ... and let the world's view try to steal truth away from us ... but still we seek.

What do you think of people who believed before reading the Koran? or The Book of Mormon? or the Health care Reform Act?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
In the 60's and 70's I mocked and laughed at the Bible. I saw contradictions everywhere. I didn't see much that seemed relevant to me and my life, although
I would take parts of it, synthesis it with my pantheistic worldview, and use some of the scriptures to lend credibility, in the sight of others, to my worldview.
When Christians approached me, it was easy for me to reinterpret their words in my mind, and then respond in a way that, I felt, made me acceptable to them. I actually thought that they were unenlightened idiots, who had retreated from reality and found comfort in a mythology.

At age thirty, at a point when my worldview wouldn't carry the weight, I spoke towards a wall in my home at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning: "Jesus, if you are there, if you are real, if you are who these believers said you are, if you are who you claim to be in the Bible, then please help me."

In a day or so, my wife ask me to read 1Cor:1-2, which I did. It gave me a little different way to consider that my understanding about Jesus and the cross, as well as the whole Christian faith might possibly be upsidedown and the real truth of it hidden from me. I began to consider that my judgement upon Christians as fools just might be backwards. Maybe I was the fool. I pondered these ideas and others for several days.
One Sunday morning, I suddenly got the urge to take my wife and two little boys to a local country church. No one knew me there, no one knew we were coming. There was a missionary preacher there that morning instead of the regular preacher. He preached 1Cor: 1-2. GOD spoke through this man to my heart. All I can do is testify of this. You'd have had to be me to get the full weight of what was going on. It was a subjective experience. I received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour that morning. The burden of guilt was lifted off of me and I truly had a profound peace for the first time in my life.
For over thirty years the Lord and his scriptures have proven themselves to me again and again. Christianity is a relationship with the Creator that must be experienced. His written word is true. His Holy Spirit which dwells withing me immediately began to adjust my understanding of the written word. The Bible is mostly a closed book without the Spirit. I have approached it from both directions. One must prove Christianity and the scriptures for themselves.

And there's the ticket (bold).

Son of Jack

How exactly could you mock that statement?
There's nothing to compare it to.

I was simply saying that you could still be mocking Nick by implying, rather covertly, that his statement was astonishingly stupid or naive. It was a joke...apparently a bad one.:chuckle:...:noid:

Ps82

What do you think of people who believed before reading the Koran? or The Book of Mormon? or the Health care Reform Act?

Well, that's a thought provoking question.

Since these people, including Nancy P. and most godless leaders, and followers of false gods don't know the ONE true God ... then I guess your own posting name might fit some of them.

Nancy and other godless leaders simply knew that people under them had written the HCR act in a manner to give government more power over our citizens ... she really wasn't fooled ... for she trusted her co-workers and understood the ultimate out come even without reading it. She just wanted to get it passed before anyone else read it and found out the truth.

Some people are misled by their culture ... but the REAL God can speak for himself... and I believe that He calls those he wishes.

I once watched Nancy try to convince people that she loved The WORD. By her own verbiage, she revealed that she did not have a clue of who or what was the WORD. It would have been really funny ... if it hadn't been so pitiful.

But we are drifting from the topic. I believe the WORD of God is inspired by God.

Status
Not open for further replies.