toldailytopic: Should you vote for the lessor of two evils?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
:mmph: I had a post typed up and then my Firefox session crashed. So here is a 2nd go at it....

But that's assuming only the bad. And even so. The political choice is never so cut and dried. That is, the lesser of two evils is almost always the greater of two goods by another measure.
I agree with this. You can't simplify voting like that.

To answer the opening post - it depends.

I voted for Ron Paul last time and I am strongly considering doing it again. I haven't decided yet. However, I didn't vote for Paul last time, and I'm not considering it this time, because I believe voting for Obama or McCain/Romney to be an evil thing or I couldn't do so with a clean conscience. I did it partly partly because I like Ron Paul and partly because I want to take a stand against the 2-party system. But I can certainly understand the desire to vote for one guy in an attempt to keep the other guy out.

The Berean

:mmph: I had a post typed up and then my Firefox session crashed. So here is a 2nd go at it....

I agree with this. You can't simplify voting like that.

To answer the opening post - it depends.

I voted for Ron Paul last time and I am strongly considering doing it again. I haven't decided yet. However, I didn't vote for Paul last time, and I'm not considering it this time, because I believe voting for Obama or McCain/Romney to be an evil thing or I couldn't do so with a clean conscience. I did it partly partly because I like Ron Paul and partly because I want to take a stand against the 2-party system. But I can certainly understand the desire to vote for one guy in an attempt to keep the other guy out.
So, kmoney, if Brett Favre and Serena Williams both ran for office who would you vote for?! :think:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't care how evil Romney is! I'm still not voting for Obama!

Letsargue

And that might be the most important thing of all.

God uses the less foolish to bring about a "form" of godliness, but still denying the Power thereof. -- That's what the (( Leaves of the Tree of Life are )). >> Revelation 22:2 KJV -----//--- The Leaves of the Tree are just the good looks, and have nothing to do with the (( Fruits )) of the Tree!!

The vote, no matter who one votes for, the person is voting for other than the Godly. - You can't possibly think that any ( Politican ) is Godly first and foremost.

Paul -- 082912

Letsargue

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 29th, 2012 11:09 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The American people have been voting for what they think is the lesser of the “evils” since there was voting, and that is what has gotten you where you are. - There is none who stands firmly with Christ, and let Him ( place ) the leaders in office His way, whatever that is. ---- Proverbs 8:15-16 KJV –

Paul – 082912

eameece

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 29th, 2012 11:09 AM

Granted that I and many people here have a different view from mine on which side is "evil," I have not voted for "the lesser of two evils" since 1992. On the other hand, if I lived in a swing state, I might, and might have. Meanwhile, there are usually other parties or candidates on the ballot that represent something more than a choice of a greater or lesser evil.

But it would be better if we had ranked choice voting, and more viable parties than just two monoliths that both depend on the corporate state. I think a lot of folks are getting tired of the Demoplicans and the Republicrats. To me, it's a choice between a party that stands for next to nothing, and a party that stands for the wrong things.

Alate_One

Yes you should vote for the lesser of two evils, especially when one of the evils is fake and a liar.

The Federal Bailout That Saved Mitt Romney.
Government documents prove the candidate's mythology is just that
(And that's just one example)

And lets be honest, in the American system, there is really no point at all in voting third party unless you are voting based on pure principles rather than the action your vote will actually accomplish. Of course if you're a democrat living in Kansas or a republican living in New York, you may as well vote for your third party.

Granite

Hall of Fame
And that might be the most important thing of all.

:thumb:

Absolutely.

I have no problem voting on a local or state level but beyond that the level of corruption is so great, and the selling out so rampant, that I don't think it's realistic to expect a good, decent candidate to ever make it into the White House.

Dena

Except that my generation is being starved to death by an economy in its death-throes, while our parents and "experts" give us career advice based on an earlier, slightly more stable version of this sand castle.

I think our parents generation may be in denial about the fact their children are going to have a more difficult time then they did.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
And lets be honest, in the American system, there is really no point at all in voting third party unless you are voting based on pure principles rather than the action your vote will actually accomplish.
Part of why the American system is like that is because everyone has your attitude about voting 3rd party. :sibbie:

Alate_One

Part of why the American system is like that is because everyone has your attitude about voting 3rd party. :sibbie:

We have to change the election funding system as well as representation (say hello to jungle primaries) before voting 3rd party will be a viable option.

At current, even if everyone who had any 3rd party leanings at all voted for said 3rd party, it would still result in zero victories because so much of the population doesn't even know the 3rd party exists. We're lucky if the population even knows who the primary candidates are for the major parties.

Until everyone has the ability to get their message out, only the major parties will dominate.

Letsargue

Yes, It is better to have less evil than more evil.

It's not the business of the Christian, how evil a Government is, or any person ((( Running to Lead that Government )))!! - The Christian's ( "Sole Duty", is to save Souls, not to change the Government's direction!!!! -- Ecclesiastes 12:13 KJV -----///--- If you all are right, you could name just one other thing that the Christian is to ( Do )!!!!

Where does God say anything hinting at even "helping" to change Government in any way?????

Paul -- 083012

kmoney

Hall of Fame
We have to change the election funding system as well as representation (say hello to jungle primaries) before voting 3rd party will be a viable option.

At current, even if everyone who had any 3rd party leanings at all voted for said 3rd party, it would still result in zero victories because so much of the population doesn't even know the 3rd party exists. We're lucky if the population even knows who the primary candidates are for the major parties.

Until everyone has the ability to get their message out, only the major parties will dominate.
I agree we need to change the funding laws. And I think we should change how the primaries are done. I think it hurts to have the primaries spread out. However, in this technological age it's not hard for people to get their message out. I wish more people would vote 3rd party if they truly want to instead of taking your defeatist attitude. :mmph:

Alate_One

I agree we need to change the funding laws. And I think we should change how the primaries are done. I think it hurts to have the primaries spread out. However, in this technological age it's not hard for people to get their message out. I wish more people would vote 3rd party if they truly want to instead of taking your defeatist attitude. :mmph:

I'm not a defeatist as in I think it will never be worth voting 3rd party. I'm simply outlining what it will take to make it worth doing. I'd add making election day a holiday as well. Until then, pick your poison.

You seem to overestimate the intelligence, effort and attention the average voter gives to the campaign or to much of anything going on in the world.

I make my statements based on the fact that only half of my college students knew there was a hurricane hitting Louisiana yesterday. I am asking them today if they know just the name of Mitt Romney's running mate. I'm betting the percentage is even lower.

edit- but if you were going to vote for Romney, feel free to vote third party. :p

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Since the Lord Jesus Christ is not on our ticket, you have no choice. Voting for Abraham Lincoln was choosing the lesser of two evils. So I guess it depends on the gap between them. Therefore this year, no. As there isn't really a gap.

Newman

Since the Lord Jesus Christ is not on our ticket, you have no choice. Voting for Abraham Lincoln was choosing the lesser of two evils. So I guess it depends on the gap between them. Therefore this year, no. As there isn't really a gap.

I beg to differ. Voting for Abraham Lincoln may have been the greatest evil of all!