toldailytopic: Should prostitution be universally legalized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
it degrades women and that is why there is money in it.

I agree that "it degrades women", but I'm having difficulty with the, "that is why there is money in it".

Am I to understand that you feel that all those that frequent a prostitute are there to degrade women?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
1. What does that have to do with law?

2. Whereas I quite agree with the assertion that prostitution degrades women, it is precisely for this reason that I don't think that it should be illegal in the current sense. If the victims of prostitution are the very prostitutes themselves, is it right to put them in jail?

I simply don't understand this line of reasoning. "Prostitution hurts and degrades women...prostitutes tend to be desparate, addicted to drugs, and otherwise victimized in every conceivable way...they've never had a chance. So...let's put them in jail!"

Governance is simply a way to protect, in this case, those who are most vulnerable. I am not saying what shall be the punishment, only a need for deterrence. Personally, I think those who encourage it should receive the more harsh punishment.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Governance is simply a way to protect, in this case, those who are most vulnerable.

I think that there's more to government than that, but ok. It's your position that prostitutes, presumably, that prostitutes are vulnerable. I concur. Does it make sense to administer a legal punishment to one?

I am not saying what shall be the punishment, only a need for deterrence.

It's not clear that "deterrence" is justified. :idunno:

Personally, I think those who encourage it should receive the more harsh punishment.

What constitutes encouragement?

Zeke

I'll stand with God on this issue and I want to challenge other Christians who do not to explain why they do not.
Deuteronomy 22:22-29, Exodus 22:16-17

They had more than one wife in those days, Jacob for one had many different women, so would you except that pratice today as well.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I'm not defending prostitution. I outright said earlier that I don't think that there can be such a thing as a lawful business exchange for sex. I merely don't think that it's the sort of thing that should carry a prison sentence.
Then what should be done?

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
They had more than one wife in those days, Jacob for one had many different women, so would you except that pratice today as well.
I would not. Do you know why God allowed it then? Do the same circumstances, or even anything remotely similar, exist today?

Unless you're willing to say polygamy is acceptable to God today then you're offering up as argument a twisted interpretation of scripture that you don't even believe yourself. And that's pretty despicable.

So. Do you? Make your case.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Then what should be done?

Nothing. As I said before: prostitution simply shouldn't exist as a legal concept. Since prostitutes aren't, in the legal sense, harming anyone, then prostitution shouldn't exist as a concept in criminal law; however, since sex can't be exchanged as part of a business contract, then prostitution shouldn't exist as a concept in civil law.

Simply put: the government should ignore prostitutes and their affairs entirely as a non-entity.

Footnote:

If the problem is that prostitutes are vulnerable, abused, etc. women, then our concern should be making things better off for the least well-off members of society, shouldn't it? Of course, the richest members of our society wouldn't like that, would they? :nono:

What should be done? Legislation that imposes a very rigid standard of fairness upon all business transactions (including employment). And where that fails? Social programs.

Simply put, if a man can't live a good and decent life off of what his employer pays him, then the employer shouldn't be able to hire him. And if employers just stop hiring? They should be obliged to pay taxes to make the poor better off anyways.

Also, lots and lots of tax funds to education. Everyone should be able to get educated (up to and including a Ph.D.) if they want without having to pay a dime. Just saying. :p

Gurucam

This is what you said:
That's imposing your values on others.

Now, if you're willing to say something as stupid as, "Well, it's okay to impose your values on others but not to enforce them...see, I was talking about enforcing them."

Well, you go right ahead and say that. I won't mind a bit.

What ever you discern, believe and/or seek to uphold as right is binding only on you and no one else.

That is, only you and those who share your ideas and beliefs are and will be judged under those ideas and/or laws.

This is the gist of the specially captioned revelation by Jesus, through Paul, in Romans: 14 verse: 14.

The caption to this revelation is: "I know and I am persuaded by the Lord Jesus"

Indeed no other delivery from Jesus, through Paul, has such a precise caption which indicates that it is not limited to the context of Paul's discourse but is in fact a universal Truth that is applicable to every thing in life.

Therefore the words: 'nothing' and 'any thing' in this revelation, means quite literally 'nothing' and 'any thing' . . . and not 'food alone'. In other words in this revelation, 'nothing' and 'any thing' cannot be replaced by "food alone".

This caption tells us that Paul has broken the routine flow of his discourse to tell up precisely and literally (in this verse only) something which the Spirit of Jesus revealed to him.

What follows this caption (i.e. "I know and I am persuaded by the Lord Jesus") is not to be altered from it literal meaning. It is not to be limited by "context".

After the caption, 'I know and I am persuaded by the Lord Jesus that', the revelation by Jesus through Paul, as recorded in Romans: 14 verse: 14, says:

'Nothing is morally and/or spiritually wrong in any absolute manner. However when some one or some group esteems something to be wrong then that thing becomes wrong but only for that person or that group and no one else.'

This means that the law (i.e. the Ten Commandments) is the school master (i.e. binding) only to those who discern them to be wise and righteous and no one else. The Ten Commandments cannot be imposed on any one as absolute laws of righteousness. And all those and only those who naturally discern these laws to be and accept these laws as, (absolute or other) definitions of righteousness must and will be judged under them.

The sad part is that no one makes it under the law. Every one who discerns these laws to be wise and good are under the law and they all fall short of the glory of God.

One must come to one's own realization that the law (i.e. the ten commandments) is flawed. One must come to know through one's own uncovered heart, that although the Ten Commandments were given by God they were not given as definitions of Truth. They are not founded on Truth. As John confirmed, Moses did not bring Grace or Truth. Only Jesus did so after He came to earth in a physical human body.

Paul confirmed that the law was simply the school master (a guide and management devise) to righteous seeking unaware people (children of the flesh). And they are to esteem the Ten Commandment only until they came onto faith and Christ. Then they drop the Ten Commandments. Then they drop the Ten Commandment for Truth, the most fundamental of which is literally revealed in Romans: 14 verse: 14.

Coming onto faith and Christ means discerning the Spirit within one's heart and being led by precisely what It has in mind for one, as discerned within one's own heart, in real time, every time, even if one has to transgress the Ten Commandments (as Abraham was willing to do). It was Abraham natural and spontaneous willingness to transgress the ('thou shall not kill a human child') law in order to obey the will of God that show that he was willing to receive the Spirit and be led unconditionally by same, even if he had to transgress the Ten Commandments.

Coming onto faith and Christ means dropping the Ten Commandments and embracing the Spirit, as discerned within one's own heart, unconditionally. For this reason God sent the Spirit of His Son into the hearts of those under the law so that they might become adopted children of God.

Children of God are those who do the will of God. They are also those who are led by the Spirit as discerned within their own individual hearts. They are the ones who are in righteousness of God. Although they transgress the Ten Commandments they do not accrue sin, they are delivered from sin and the ideas of sin. They are the saved and delivered. Only they are Christians on earth. And among those who believe that they are Christians and who are called Christians and who are told that they are Christians by their church leaders, only a few, i.e. these few are authentic Christians. And these few are indeed few and far between on earth among those who believe that they are Christians and who are called Christians and who are told that they are Christians by their church leaders.

The word might suggests that this is simply an offer from God. In other words the word, might suggests that the Spirit which God sent into the hearts of those under the law is simply an offer. One must pick up this offer in order to becomes an adopted child of God. It seems that one is not saved simply by 'the death of Jesus on the cross' Jesus confirmed that there is much more (Truth) for even His disciples to know and He confirmed that He must go away so that the Spirit of Truth will be discerned by His disciples and similar others. And He did confirm that one is saved by Truth.

Therefore the fullness of Truth which can save and deliver one (i.e. the fullness of Truth which will make one a 'child of God') must be discerned from this Spirit of Truth which God sent into the hearts of those under the law. Each one must discern this Truth within one's own individual heart. And not from physically written or physically delivered scriptures or words. The physically written or physically delivered scriptures or words are the letter which 'killeth'. Only the Spirit as discerned within one's own heart, save and delivers.

Those who continue to discern wisdom in the law will not pick up this offer, from God of the Spirit in their hearts. They will continue to have the vail of the Ten Commandments over their heart. This will prevent them from accessing and searching their hearts to know the Spirit which God sent there. They will not be saved and chosen. They will not be 'in Christ'. They will not be among the chosen few. They will be among the great masses who are called to traditional Christianity and are being misled into believing that the law has to do with Christianity.

They are among the great majority of people who are called to (what passes for) Christianity. However they are among the very great masses (all but the few) who are not chosen because they err because they do not know Truth or get Truth there.

Fact is, according to Jesus, only a few will know Truth and only these few will not err and be chosen.

And so, a serious question arises: What is the wisdom of the few?

This post is the wisdom of the few.

How many people can tell you this Truth?

Probably no one else that you know.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Also, lots and lots of tax funds to education. Everyone should be able to get educated (up to and including a Ph.D.) if they want without having to pay a dime. Just saying. :p
People don't appreciate things they are handed as much as things they work and/or pay for.

Zeke

I would not. Do you know why God allowed it then? Do the same circumstances, or even anything remotely similar, exist today?

Unless you're willing to say polygamy is acceptable to God today then you're offering up as argument a twisted interpretation of scripture that you don't even believe yourself. And that's pretty despicable.

So. Do you? Make your case.

You brought up the need to follow Duet, and Exodus, just curious as to how much of the OT your willing to enforce, just a stones throw away from a theoracy.

Now that would be despicable.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
You brought up the need to follow Duet, and Exodus, just curious as to how much of the OT your willing to enforce, just a stones throw away from a theoracy.

Now that would be despicable.
So no answer on whether you believe scripture supports polygamy or why you pretended it did or, heaven forbid, how that doesn't contradict the scriptures I posted in the first place that actually relate to the topic of prostitution. Rather you pull something out of your ear about theocracy being despicable or something.

So, yeah. Okay then.

Zeke

So no answer on whether you believe scripture supports polygamy or why you pretended it did or, heaven forbid, how that doesn't contradict the scriptures I posted in the first place that actually relate to the topic of prostitution. Rather you pull something out of your ear about theocracy being despicable or something.

So, yeah. Okay then.

Again! I never gave my opinion on polygamy or prostitution, I just seen your opinion on OT version of law being applied to day, and wondered how far you where willing t take it.
I could give a rats behind what you think of me ole righteous one.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Again! I never gave my opinion on polygamy or prostitution, I just seen your opinion on OT version of law being applied to day, and wondered how far you where willing t take it.
I could give a rats behind what you think of me ole righteous one.

To save you the time MC advocates the death by stoning of a lot of people, homosexuals included.

Status
Not open for further replies.