toldailytopic: Should prostitution be universally legalized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 11th, 2010 01:37 PM

toldailytopic: Should prostitution be universally legalized?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Seeing as how fornication and adultery are immoral, neither should be legal making prostitution a moot point.

However, in today's society most relationships are legalized prostitution in which goods are exchanged for sex.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Seeing as how fornication and adultery are immoral, neither should be legal making prostitution a moot point.

However, in today's society most relationships are legalized prostitution in which goods are exchanged for sex.

...and it's an attitude like this that makes you a ladies's man.:chuckle:

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Keep it in a brothel, make sure all those rendering services have a clean bill of health and get regularly checked, and I'm all for it. Not because I would do it myself or use their services, but being that I do work in entertainment, I get a lot of guys trying to get me to sleep with them. A brothel will give them a place to go and maybe they can stop bothering me. As it is, I appreciated that transvestite hooker that worked the corner down the road from the gay bar I used to work at for that reason.

Buzzword

Legalize it, regulate it, tax the ever-loving snot out of it.

If enough communities had government-run brothels, we could probably put something close to a dent in the federal deficit within a year or so.

Economically speaking, the demand has always been there, and it offers a potentially mammoth amount of new income for local and state governments (and by taxation extension, the federal government) who have been drowning in debt for years.

Let each community decide whether or not they want it legalized (same as liquor laws), then the detractors can watch the "sinners" rake in the dinero week after week.

Then Vegas' brothels would become something akin to the major leagues of the profession, with more "features" in exchange for more money.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Also, to clarify, and head off the inevitable: There's a huge difference between acknowledging a vice and encouraging it.

nicholsmom

I am opposed to this on the same grounds that I am opposed to any vise being legalized - it validates and legitimizes the act, making it no longer a vise, but a simple activity like going to the movies or bowling. Which visiting a prostitute is not :nono:

No, Granite, I didn't claim that legalization would encourage it.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I am opposed to this on the same grounds that I am opposed to any vise being legalized - it validates and legitimizes the act, making it no longer a vise, but a simple activity like going to the movies or bowling. Which visiting a prostitute is not :nono:

No, Granite, I didn't claim that legalization would encourage it.

So smoking, alcohol, and fatty foods are all indulgences you oppose, and would like to see banned.

Buzzword

nicholsmom said:
I am opposed to this on the same grounds that I am opposed to any vise being legalized - it validates and legitimizes the act, making it no longer a vise, but a simple activity like going to the movies or bowling. Which visiting a prostitute is not

I don't necessarily disagree on all points, but you do realize going to the movies was once considered a chief among vices in America, right?

lovemeorhateme

Sex isn't a commodity to be bought and sold at will. It is supposed to be a special act, and prostitution cheapens it.

So, no, I don't think prostitution should be legalised, legitimising that which God clearly says is sin.

WizardofOz

No, it shouldn't be universally legalized as there is no such authority.

It should be left up to each country. I'd even argue that it should be left up to each state, county, city, town, or municipality. Same for drugs.

What makes so many counties in Nevada special?

Charity

R You Talking about running a bussness?

more worried about ......Its wrong to use someone for free, to consume time affection inSincerely is expensive
such is a Very wide spectrum that will not resolve its self easly
..If the consumer is not serious about caring for the persons soul, then making a clear unbound transaction with them is clear an freeing...

A free misstress is often paid in the end....

I wish that everyone was kings an queens in their own right, but its just not going to happen full stop!

nicholsmom

So smoking, alcohol, and fatty foods are all indulgences you oppose, and would like to see banned.

Awwww, Granite ... you make me sound so unreasonable, so controlling...

I could draw a line in the sand for you, if you like: this far and no farther - legally. But I'm thinking that that line is one for communities to decide, rather than personal preference. So I figure, let the states decide individually, and if a state allows it by omitting it from the crimes listed in its code, then let individual communities decide within that state.

As for me, I will always vote in my state and community the way I did with the lottery in Indiana - NO! Heck no! Do not legalize it. I will vote my conscience, and you vote yours. We will affect only our own communities where we really ought to have influence, don't you think?

Newman

When pondering what the state should do, I think about whether or not individuals should do it. The state is made up of people (individuals), and just having a name tag that says "government" doesn't give anyone authority to do anything to anyone unless they could also legitimately do it without the name tag, i.e., as a private citizen.

So, to those that answered "no, prostitution should not be legalized", may I ask if you would personally beat down the doors of a firm that sells sex that refuses to shut down and either shoot or jail the people you think are committing the "criminal" act?

If you answered my question affirmatively, I would ask yet another question: on what grounds or what authority can you legitimately trespass, murder, cage, and steal from people that are doing something you don't like?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
why doesn't the supreme court rule all laws against prostitution unconstitutional?
While I don't agree that it should be legal, it is amazing that laws against prostitution outlasted sodomy laws!

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Legalize it and then reinstate the old Christian practice of the Scarlet letter, but with an "M" for married, and that letter will be tattooed on the forehead of all married persons. Establish a law that any person with an "M" tattoo caught going into the brothel will be put to death by stoning in the city square.

Status
Not open for further replies.