toldailytopic: Should I stay or should I go? If states begin to secede from the Union

bybee

Yes, the President can bypass the Constitution and Congress with an executive order. There are at least two checks and balances.

1. The Congress can defund an executive order, or pass a law to counter it, or both.

2. A law suit brought to the Supreme Court can give the Court the opportunity to declare the order unconstitutional.

Thanks you for the additional info.
Now, what if a president declares "Martial Law"? Does that, even temporarily, suspend the right of Congress to act? or the Supreme Court?

Christ's Word

Thanks you for the additional info.
Now, what if a president declares "Martial Law"? Does that, even temporarily, suspend the right of Congress to act? or the Supreme Court?

Martial Law does not suspend Congress' right to act, or the Supreme Court powers. But there will be some lag time where the country will be under martial law and the Governors, and their assets will have to react. Remember, the Governors of most states have significant assets in Guard and Reserve forces that are under their control. This is one of the reasons Texas is so problematic for the President and his plans.

PureX

Thanks for the info.
Of course, if a president has a Congress which is in control of his party, then, we could have a problem?
It's sad to say, but these days the Congress is basically under the control of the corporate lobbyists. They are, of course, subject to party politics, as you point out. But if the Congress is forced to choose between their own party president and their corporate benefactors, they have shown that they will go with their corporate benefactors every time. So the truth is, that any president at this time in history, has more to fear from wealthy corporations and their lobbyists than from Congress or the judiciary.

Last edited:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I have a question: Can the president bypass the Constitution with an "Executive Order"?
What can Congress do if an executive order is flat out destructive to the country as a whole?

As long as that exec order does not take money...for that he needs the congressional nod, no nod no funding.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
the republicans gave the voters a choice
and
now it is time for the voters to live with the choice they made

most republicans know how to take care of themselves

The republicans pushed a candidate which was just as much of a liberal as Obama...the Republican party has lost it's way and better realize there is more at stake than getting elected in 2014, in fact I would say if they do not fight this fight they will lose even bigger numbers...

republicans picked the wrong candidates to push forward.

Had they promoted some of their more progressive candidates it would have been a closer race.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Yep! True Dat!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The republicans pushed a candidate which was just as much of a liberal as Obama...the Republican party has lost it's way and better realize there is more at stake than getting elected in 2014, in fact I would say if they do not fight this fight they will lose even bigger numbers...
*cough* 2016 *cough*

IMJerusha

I'm in liberal Colorado so YES I would be moving for sure. I would like Florida as my number one pick but I would settle for Arizona or Texas.

Hopefully they would quickly build a wall to keep the liberal-zombies out.

I may have mentioned this in another post somewhere (getting gray and can't remember :ha:) but a friend of ours in Texas called not too long ago and said that Californians are flocking to Texas much the way they did to Colorado many years ago. He's all for building that wall you've mentioned!

To answer your question, I don't think it would be feasible for many to secede. This economy has a lot of people backed into a corner. Also, I think of the people who gave their lives for these United States and I believe it would honor them best by trying everything possible to reach some agreement and resolve to vote more responsibly in the future if we're dissatisfied with what we currently have.

Granite

Hall of Fame
That's American style for you, folks. When things don't break your way just take your ball, go home, and don't even bother trying to get along. Just leave.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
That's American style for you, folks. When things don't break your way just take your ball, go home, and don't even bother trying to get along. Just leave.

You mean like the Puritans who left England?

Or were you referring to the Founding Fathers who took their ball and broke away from the king?

Or perhaps the Confederate States?

jeremysdemo

that's the problem with stupid pills,

if you're too stupid to take them it negates the point.

(not that I agree Granite is estupido)

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

IMJerusha

And aren't you lucky that Puritan Christians did so for it has given you the right to speak your mind here. If you don't understand the concept of "live free or die", why do you bear the motto?

Granite

Hall of Fame
And aren't you lucky that Puritan Christians did so for it has given you the right to speak your mind here. If you don't understand the concept of "live free or die", why do you bear the motto?

Puritans didn't, and they were intolerant prigs who detested the concept of "live free or die." Get your history straight.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What?! Is the population around you looking a little too south of the border lately?

It's looking a little confused at the moment.

Walked by a Panda Express, and every cook was Hispanic.

Walked by a Taco Bell, and every cook was Filipino.